MetalCloak'ing my jeep... Bumper & Tubes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MetalCloak'ing my jeep... Bumper & Tubes

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

MetalCloak'ing my jeep... Bumper & Tubes

A thing of beauty arrived on my doorstep this morning... the first of two shipments from MetalCloak that I have been eagerly waiting for since putting the order in a few weeks ago. This will be a "mini" build thread showcasing MetalCloak's "Build Your Own Bumper" and their arched tubes / rear tubes / 4" flares.

The whole order process with MetalCloak was flawless, and their relentless focus on customer service shined through once again. I asked for a bumper rendering similar to the final version that I purchased, and it sold me right away. I knew i was getting the arched tubes and rears, so this was really icing on the cake for me. Some $$$ later, I had the following coming my way.

-- Front arched tubes with black powedercoat
-- 4inch front flares with black powdercoat
-- 4inch rear flares & baseplate, black powdercoat
-- Low profile LED marker lights
-- Bumper: Steel Base w/ Black Powdercoat, Crawler Caps, Upper Shackle Mounts, Roller fairlead bracket, Mid Stinger

I ordered the bumper piece by piece through metalcloak.com... I was pretty surprised to get a call from Matson a few days after ordering asking for feedback on the site, as I was apparently one of the first few people to buy the bumper in pieces, as opposed to straight off the rendering... now THAT shoes how they really want to get things right for the consumers.

Pics of the first shipment - I was a little worried at first given the state of the big box - brown santa was not kind, however luckily the product was very well packaged. This pic was taken after I opened the box... the box was pretty banged up though. I was watching the UPS guy from the window, and saw him literally throw the box from the back of the van into his driver compartment, and then heard the box crash on the floor outside my apartment.

the bumper held together by hand...

and of course, the jeep that all this is going on...

Will update over the course of the next few weeks with more specifics on the build. Yes, I already have a bumper / somewhat of a stinger... but I was looking for something narrower, and a bit beefier. Plus, it looks sick. MetalCloak fit the bill!

Check out the following link for MetalCloak's detailed install instructions for a variety of their products - as you can, a lot of thought has gone in to making this as pain-free as possible for consumers: http://www.metalcloak.com/Installati...tions_s/66.htm

Current Setup: 2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak Bumper & Tubes, 1” BL, 35” Nitto Mudgrapplers, 17” Silver AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ in-cab control, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX (r), Herc’d Tub, Clayton Engine & Tranny skids, Chromoly Shafts F&R, Currie HD, Warn Steering Skid, RE Hand Throttle, JKS Motor Mounts, Custom box, CO2, K&N FIPK, Raingler Netting (so the dog doesn’t fly), PIAA 520s Driving & Fog, BDS Rockers, Cobra 75 WX ST, Alpine IVA300 w/GPS & a bunch of other goodies...

Last edited by keithkeith; 01-19-2010 at 12:44 PM..
keithkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great, man! Let me know when your fenders come in and we can work out a time to install them... Should be a good time!

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spent the past hour or so putting the bumper together on my living room floor... one thing thats annoying me right now.... In some builds I've read that too much mounting hardware was provided... well, I have the opposite problem.

Attaching the mid-stinger support to the shackle mount, and am missing

4 x 1/2” - 13 x 2" ‐Socket Head Cap Screws
4 x Washer
4 x x1/2”‐13 Nylock Jamb Nuts
4x 1/2" lock washers

So, guess I'm waiting till I can get to the hardware store. Knew I should have laid everything out first!

On the plus side, the workmanship on this product is amazing. I cannot wait to see the flares in a few days!

EDIT: 5 minutes later.

put the crawler cap on the other side, and realized that the stinger mount is either bent, or no welded on in the right place. I'm guessing that once I get the 2" bolts it'll pull into place, just surprising I guess. And yes, the crawler caps are mounted using the correct TJ/LJ holes.

Current Setup: 2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak Bumper & Tubes, 1” BL, 35” Nitto Mudgrapplers, 17” Silver AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ in-cab control, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX (r), Herc’d Tub, Clayton Engine & Tranny skids, Chromoly Shafts F&R, Currie HD, Warn Steering Skid, RE Hand Throttle, JKS Motor Mounts, Custom box, CO2, K&N FIPK, Raingler Netting (so the dog doesn’t fly), PIAA 520s Driving & Fog, BDS Rockers, Cobra 75 WX ST, Alpine IVA300 w/GPS & a bunch of other goodies...

Last edited by keithkeith; 01-18-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Looks great, man! Let me know when your fenders come in and we can work out a time to install them... Should be a good time!
I'm pumped - thanks so much for the help. It should go relatively quick... especially if we can work on two sides at the same time.

How does this saturday or this sunday sound? Matson said my stuff was going to ship out last week, so if that happened and UPS works it's magic I should have a few more boxes coming my way. Pretty sure I'm not painting the inners, so don't need to build in that time.
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be at snowshoe all day Sunday, so Saturday will probably be best... I have to work that morning, but after 12:30 I'm free. The install doesn't take that much time, so we should be fine about then... If you want to get to my house about 1:00 on Saturday, we can knock it out then.

RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Jeepineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post
Spent the past hour or so putting the bumper together on my living room floor... one thing thats annoying me right now.... In some builds I've read that too much mounting hardware was provided... well, I have the opposite problem.

Attaching the mid-stinger support to the shackle mount, and am missing

4 x 1/2” - 13 x 2" ‐Socket Head Cap Screws
4 x Washer
4 x x1/2”‐13 Nylock Jamb Nuts
4x 1/2" lock washers

So, guess I'm waiting till I can get to the hardware store. Knew I should have laid everything out first!

On the plus side, the workmanship on this product is amazing. I cannot wait to see the flares in a few days!

EDIT: 5 minutes later.

put the crawler cap on the other side, and realized that the stinger mount is either bent, or no welded on in the right place. I'm guessing that once I get the 2" bolts it'll pull into place, just surprising I guess. And yes, the crawler caps are mounted using the correct TJ/LJ holes.

I apologize for the missing bolts and nuts. They should have been in the stinger box seperate from the bumper base box. I will fedex out the hardware today.

I am certain that the stinger supports were welded correctly as our fixture does not allow them to be welded incorrectly. However they do look twisted making me think they were bent in shipping. Could you please give me a call 916 631 8071 (Doug) to discuss. You have to call me because I do not know your real name. I am confident that they will cinch in place when you have the hardware.

I look forward to discussing this issue.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
I'll be at snowshoe all day Sunday, so Saturday will probably be best... I have to work that morning, but after 12:30 I'm free. The install doesn't take that much time, so we should be fine about then... If you want to get to my house about 1:00 on Saturday, we can knock it out then.
Fantastic! Drop me a PM with your beverage of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer View Post
I apologize for the missing bolts and nuts. They should have been in the stinger box seperate from the bumper base box. I will fedex out the hardware today.

I am certain that the stinger supports were welded correctly as our fixture does not allow them to be welded incorrectly. However they do look twisted making me think they were bent in shipping. Could you please give me a call 916 631 8071 (Doug) to discuss. You have to call me because I do not know your real name. I am confident that they will cinch in place when you have the hardware.

I look forward to discussing this issue.
to MetalCloak's customer service! Doug, I will call you later today to discuss.

Given your note on how they are welded, I would agree that it occured in shipping. As I noted in my first post, UPS was pretty rough with the box for the 5 minutes that I watched the guy outside of my apartment. Thanks for Fedexing out the hardware - much appreciated.

Last edited by keithkeith; 01-19-2010 at 09:14 AM..
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

These guys are awesome... got a call from Matson apologizing for the missing bolts which have already been FEDEXed out. Also talked to Doug on the phone about the stinger and we both agree it's from shipping.

Doug asked that I make a slight change to when the stinger mounts on the shackle should be installed (as indicated in the instructions). Typically, the entire setup is fitted and tightened prior to getting it on to the frame. As the frame rail bolts run down through the top of the shackle, and given that the stinger is going to "pull" on the shackle mount from the side when tightened due to the slight bend, I'll be mounting the bumper and tightening the frame rail bolts prior to finishing up the stinger mounts - else, I'd really be fighting to get the frame rail bolts to line up.

Easy fix!

Fenders & flares shipped on Thursday of last week... means they should be waiting for me on my doorstep one of these afternoons!

Last edited by keithkeith; 01-19-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Jeepineer

Keith,

Would you please give your tire size, lift kit make and lift kit height. This information will help me and other readers follow this thread. Thank you.

Doug
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer View Post
Keith,

Would you please give your tire size, lift kit make and lift kit height. This information will help me and other readers follow this thread. Thank you.

Doug
all that information is in his signature, 5.5" clayton LA kit, 35" tires.

detours backbone system for sale
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Jeepineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg214 View Post
all that information is in his signature, 5.5" clayton LA kit, 35" tires.
lol, thanks...that is what I get for not reading the fine print.
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
dawgs30814
1982 CJ7 

cool

cool
dawgs30814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In addition to the 5.5 LA, I've got a 1" BL. I'll ultimately probably go smaller coils, coupled with slightly bigger tires, but that'll happen a year or so from now. Must... stop...spending...

I'll go a step further and measure tire to flare, and ground to flare before and after the install (front and rears, with pics).

Also - I rememer how I had to scour around for pics of specific angles / other info. If anyone has anything they are looking to find out about the install/ specific pics they would like to see, please let me know and I'll try to cover it here.
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dang man, I'm jealous!!
Looking forward to build!
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post
Must... stop...spending...
Oh c'mon, Keith, you know that'll never happen!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.