Mean Green Build on a (College) Budget - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 298 Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well here's a 3 year update. Things changed...a lot. Went to 1 tons, and a rear 4 link setup. New thread is on Pirate 4x4. Pics explain it better than words.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-yj-build.html

**EDIT**

EDIT: Jeep is currently set up with the following:

355 SBC 400hp/400 ft. Lbs.
SM465 transmission
NP231 w/ MegaShort SYE
Ford 8.8 4.10 LSD
Dana 30 4.10 Stock (next upgrade)
BDS 3.5" Springs
Boomerang Shackles

In Design Process:

Rocker guards
Rear tire carrier (OR Fab-style)
Winch Plate w/ fairlead

MOTOR/AXLE SWAP STARTS ON PAGE 10

Hey guys,

I figured I would start my own build thread in order to keep track of my build and to let everyone see what I've done and hopefully help someone out via pictures or discussion. I'm new to jeeping but been into cars my whole life so I may make a mistake here and there so feel free to correct me if I post incorrectly.

Background on the Jeep: I bought this 1988 YJ 4.2L 5 speed in Maryland in mid-January as a project. It was owned by an older gentlemen who only used to to drive in the summer with the top off. It came with a bikini top and a supertop frame with no skin. I found the ad on Craigslist and was not very fond of the color but when I saw it in person I decided to keep it painted the way it was. It is a very unique color from AMC that was called "big bad green" or something along those lines. The PO had also truckbed-lined the tub and put brand new tires on it prior to selling it. He also decided to sticker it up with "Jeep Jeep" stickers and decals of Pop-eye's assistant Eugene. So, only fittingly, I named him Eugene. The stickers are definitely being thrown out and the dodge floor mats that came in it were thrown out upon entrance into my garage.

The jeep did not come problem free, however. It has somewhat saggy springs and it idled very high until it warmed up. Also, it would bog out in the the mid-RPM's. This was due to the Carter POS, whoops I mean BBD.

First project was to replace the Carter carb (I rebuilt it first only to find a stud snapped off in it and a faulty stepper motor) with another more reliable piece. I decided to go with a motorcraft carb and began my search on craigslist. I soon found one:

I bought the Trans-Dapt kit to mount it and went to work. The MC2150 that I bought turned out to be poorly rebuilt by the guy i bought it from and just was not going to work for me. Sadly, I only realized this after I had it mounted and all the lines and linkages hooked up. The jeep actually ran for a short period of time (much to my surprise) but I was not able to tune it in due to the faulty rebuild. Here is the carb on the jeep with pictures of my homemade linkage adapter and return spring bracket:

I have since ordered a kit from the infamous "erhmann" on ebay (http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ehrmannmp/). So far he has been a great seller and kept communication with me as promised. He has also followed through by sending me the necessary information to properly install the carb. I will update more on the carb status this weekend when I get a chance to install it.

In the meantime, I began work on some other knick knacks. I fixed the supertop frame because the small s-shaped rod that makes the door frame had been busted off at the pivot joint. This is a very easy fix and much more cost effective than buying the whole drivers-side frame from Bestop (Free < $70 ). I needed upper half doors, however, so I ended up purchasing a whole supertop kit with upper half doors and tinted windows because it would have cost just as much to buy the supertop skin and upper half doors separately and that didn't include the framework. So, now I have an extra frame and belt rails (let me know if anyone needs any of those pieces and I may get rid of them).

Next on the list was to fix the sound system. The PO included a Dual (El Cheapo) headunit and 6x9's in boxes on the rear wheel wells. Problem was that the headunit face had to be removed everytime the car was turned off or it would drain battery. This was because The PO wired the switched hot and constant hot to the clock fuse . I fixed that problem by wiring them to the correct spots and now the headunit works fine. Next, I moved the 6x9 boxes in toward the center of the car more because they interfered with the top when it folded down. I also seal the boxes to make them water-tight. Lastly, I rigged up some speakers from my daily (VW Passat) into the speaker pod that was mounted in front of the shifter. The originals were blown so I went to work with my utility knife and some drywall screws (Pictures will be posted soon, along with updates on the carb and supertop installation.

If you have any questions or comments just post in this thread or shoot me a PM.

Last edited by WhyJayPA; 02-08-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 298 Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a nice start there! So, what future plans do you have? Armor? Axles? Lift? Tires? That's definitely a different green, but I think it's nice to have a color everyone else doesn't have.

'92 YJ 6cyl 4.0, 33x12.5 BFG ATs on Mickey Thompsons 15x8, estimated 4in lift, Winch, KC lights & some other goodies.
RIP baby brother. "Chopper" Charlie Burke 5/2/82 - 6/22/05...Only the great die young.
post #3 of 298 Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Future plans at this point are 4" suspension lift, 33's on 15x8 or 15x10 (haven't decided yet) and new front and rear bumpers. Hopefully those will all be done before or in the beginning of summer. Its hard to get home from school to work on it so the process is slow, not to mention the fact that the jeep has raided my pockets

post #4 of 298 Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a picture of my console now that it is finished. It went from:

To This:

I went to s small shop called Wooden Bridge Dry Goods and bought 2 yards of black canvas for $6 a yard. The I got the amish lady that worked there to sew the piece for the armrest and cut out the other pieces. She charged $8 for labor. I then went to the hardware store and got some 5/16" staples and simply wrapped the console the way it was from the manufacturer and it turned out nice. I also bought a new lock cylinder for it because the PO didn't give me the key to the console (luckily it was unlocked). Then I got 2 cans of "Wet Pruf" by Kiwi and sprayed the entire console with 2 coats. It is completely waterproof now. The water just beads up and runs right off of it. All in all, I have about $35 into it and about an hours worth of labor. I definitely think it was worth the money.

Last edited by WhyJayPA; 02-08-2011 at 10:08 AM.
post #5 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great so far. pumped to get it running good this weekend!

granny shifting not double clutchin like I should
'89 YJ Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WhyJayPA's '88 Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/mean-green-build-college-budget-1164650/
post #6 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Tenshots1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

being a college student building myself, i will tell ya that it is all about one part at a time. Cash in on christmas and birthdays while watching craigslist and off-road retailers like a hawk. I have gotten my parts not in order of what i want the most, but by what is the best deal. Good luck! I wish my jeep was green!

1998 XJ Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can't agree more. I'm on craigslist like its my job. It is just too easy to find parts for jeeps on there, at least in my area. It sure is nice when you find a part and you have the money for it. nothing better than coming home to new parts right?
post #8 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just got the new carb kit in. Looks real good. Much thanks to Mike E. from eBay (see above link). It will be bolted up this weekend with the new supertop. More pics to come.

post #9 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 PM
kirbatron
1994 YJ Wrangler 

freakin love that center console. wow. diggin the kermit green too.
post #10 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
Looks great so far. pumped to get it running good this weekend!
Agreed. Should be good to go. Lets just hope its not dumping oil
post #11 of 298 Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbatron View Post
freakin love that center console. wow. diggin the kermit green too.
Thanks kirbatron. You may have just inspired me to change my jeeps name to Kermit haha.
post #12 of 298 Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The supertop just came in today. Can't wait to get it on this weekend. Hopefully storing it in the house will warm it up enough to get it stretched over the frame. I might have to use a hair dryer or heat gun as well. Anyone have experience with a cold weather top install?

post #13 of 298 Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The Heep is now officially a Jeep! Got it running and got the top on it. Also installed the new CB kit I picked up off of Craigslist and the console.

First was the Carb:

This was the unused pile of crap that was ripped out:

Next was the supertop:

Then came the CB install:

Fixed the console hinges and added a support arm:

Lastly, the headlight bezels were painted due to boredom and the hope that they would look good:

post #14 of 298 Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep man. I'm in the same boat with a college budget, actually surprised that I haven't seen you around. I go to school in Shippensburg, not to far from Carlisle, as you know. Looking this spring/summer to buy the motorcraft kit from eBay and I'm glad you had a good experience.
post #15 of 298 Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
purpmasterflex
1999 XJ Cherokee 

dude, take those taillights off and paint them black, or if you have 40 bucks go to walmart and get led tail lights, and your tailgate stop take it off and paint it black it will look 10 times better, check out my build i did the tail lights cheap and very easyyyyyy.
other then that love the color nice jeep

99 Cherokee XJ - 4.5 inch Rough Country lift - 15 x 10 Mickey Thompsons with 33s - Roof rack - Bushwacker Flat flares - build thread!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.