McCloud's WJ "Build" Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > McCloud's WJ "Build" Thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

A tree fell across the hood last night in the tornado-producing weather. Left a neat little gash across it. :

However, every cloud has a silver lining. It finally gave me an excuse to do the hood stripes to cover up the nasty cut. Thanks to BLACK04WJ for the tips.

They match my black and red rims now...

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Tie rod end replacement complete! What a mess. This took WAAAY more time than I was expecting. Mostly because the pitman arm to drag link tie rod was stuck on there.

It took four hours of beating, an acetylene torch, two cans of PB Blaster, and a 6' breaker bar to get that thing off. Anyway, I digress:

This was the main culprit. The bushing between the pitman arm and drag link had fallen apart, leaving grease everywhere.

I only took pictures of the new drag link setup...

Two solid hits with the BFH and this guy fell right off.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

AAAAHHH! That's my red TJ in the picture with your Jeep!!! lol
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
TheGoogs
2002 WJ 

What make of tie rod ends did you buy and where did you get them from McLoud?

Thanks
Googs

[URL="http://bit.ly/SVRNFZ"]http://bit.ly/SVRNFZ[/URL]
TheGoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #35
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Subwoofer Box Build:

Bring on the flak; I know there are a lot of people on here that hate on subwoofers and sound systems, but whatever. My Jeep gets dirty, too

I've been through 5 sound systems in this Jeep so far. I've gone from one teeny tiny little sealed 10" to a 12" and four 10's to a ported 15". The five subs at once sounded amazing, but filled my entire trunk. The ported 15 pounded to the point of knocking the wind out of my chest. I wanted something in between, hence, this build.

This latest evolution is going to be my first venture into building my own box, so we'll see how it turns out.

I decided to go with one of my Infinity Reference 1011w's for the box. I had four of them at one point, and they sounded amazing. They're a little old, but they work well.

The first thing I did was look up the manufacture's specifications for the sub.

Then using them, I had to find out what kind of box the sub would respond to best. Luckily, there are already people out there who are way smarter than me that figured this stuff out.

Ok, so I had my answer. Now for a design. Tada!

Then to find out what materials I needed, I used my superior MSPaint skills and a calculator...

I went and picked up some 3/4" MDF today. I won't actually get to build the thing until tomorrow, so stay tuned. Or don't. Or whatever

Doing my homework paid off. I finished the box today and its performance is amazing. It's the best sounding 10" I've run, to date. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but here's where I am so far.

Working for a construction company has very few perks, but one of them is access to any power tool I want. That made it easier.

The whole thing is made with 3/4" MDF, held together with course thread screws and Liquid Nails, then sealed up tight with some stuff we use on windows.

I put weather stripping around the hole for the subwoofer. Wouldn't want any air getting out where it's not supposed to.

Carpet is in the works. Maybe tomorrow or Friday. It's not pretty yet, but it's airtight and sounds pretty awesome for my first box. It'll look better in a couple of days.

I'm sure all 84 people who viewed this thread have been anxiously awaiting, here are some pictures of the carpeted box. Sorry for the tiny pictures; I only had my cell phone today.

It took one roll of carpet from O'Reileys, a razor knife and a bottle of spray adhesive. The whole carpeting process took about 45 minutes.

It's not quite professional quality, but for my first box, I'm happy with it.

No videos of it bumping, but rest assured it does. It shakes the mirrors out of place... It's definitely the loudest 10 I've run.

The sound is clean and, although the response isn't quite as quick as this sub was in a sealed box, it still sounds pretty good.

The end!
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #36
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogs View Post
What make of tie rod ends did you buy and where did you get them from McLoud?

Thanks
Googs
They're Moog. I got them from Advance Auto Parts. Autozone and O'Reilys had the TREs but Advance were the only people that could get the sleeves in the same day.
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
Calebbeast

Thats awesome. Not really a fan of the hood stripes but still looks cool. I'm thinking of putting a engine start button in my WJ, I just need to figure out how to stop the key from turning on the engine.
Calebbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Nice work on the sub box. Did it right by doing some math to get the dimensions correct. Sucks about the hood man.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #39
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Thinking about blacking out the B and C pillars today after seeing it in the siltsurfers build thread... Hmmm...
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #40
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Hood Stripes Part II

I've been liking the hood stripes less and less. I still don't hate them enough to drop $900 on a new hood, though. So they'll stay. In an effort to make them suck less, I spent $0.99 on some stencils.

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #41
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I think it looks pretty cool actually.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I was on my now local Craigslist (Roanoke) and saw your Jeep for sale. :/

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I was on my now local Craigslist (Roanoke) and saw your Jeep for sale. :/
Yeah. It's been up there for months. It's probably still listed on JF, too. I want a new toy. A ZJ or a Fox body Mustang. Something I won't feel bad about taking a welder and grinder too. A 5.9 ZJ would be perfect. The WJ is just too nice for me to start tearing into. I can't afford to keep it as a DD and get a new toy, too.
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Awww sorry to hear that man :/ wish you could keep both

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Took the hood stripes off today. I definitely like it better without them. Even with the scratches...

Also replaced the gasket on the cutout. It was leaky. Working on making a new switch panel out of aluminum with our sweet CNC machine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.