McCloud's WJ "Build" Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > McCloud's WJ "Build" Thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Clean/ De-rust the Underside

After reading a bunch of people complain about rust on the underside of their WJ's I decided to do a little preventative maintenance. I live on the eastern coast, so there's lots of salt and mud that gets stuck up under the Jeep. I spent about two hours with a pressure washer and a Brillo pad fixing that.

***BEFORE***
Got it all up in the air

The cutout and muffler; caked in mud

***AFTER***
Clean enough to eat off of

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Crime Deterrent

I transferred the "crime deterrent" from the truck to the Jeep. It's 16" of persuasion. Haha. It fits nicely under the passenger seat. It's out of the open but still easy to access.

In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Problems with Plastidipped wheels

I hit a small tree going sideways about 35mph. Luckilly the Jeep was 99% ok. The only problem was the little scratch it put in the Plastidip on the wheels. It started, as I feared, to peel away.

This is how to fix peeling Plastidip wheels without redoing the whole wheel..
-CUT OUT the area that has the peeling paint on it that you want to remove
-Remove it
-Repaint it

The peeling area

Cut out and removed the peeling area

And ran out of time to take pictures of the finished product.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Got some lights from Wallyworld today. Impulse buy. Mounted them behind the grill...

The switch that came with it was broken when I opened the package.

And the wiring mess on the inside.

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the build is looking good man. I'm interested in your exhaust cut-out.. how did you wire the switch into the interior and where did you mount the switch for it? and also what is the process for doing the rims? My wife has the same rims as you and the same color wj as you so I'd like to copy the idea..
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
the build is looking good man. I'm interested in your exhaust cut-out.. how did you wire the switch into the interior and where did you mount the switch for it? and also what is the process for doing the rims? My wife has the same rims as you and the same color wj as you so I'd like to copy the idea..
Hey there,

The cut out is a neat little addition. It'll spit flames if you blip the throttle...

The wire for the switch runs up under the body, and through one of the rubber boots that goes inside. The it goes under the center console up into my switchboard that I have where the ash tray would have gone.

This is wooden version of the switchboard. I'm working on making one out of aluminum, but I can't get it to match the fake aluminum trim yet.

The rims were done with Plastidip. I:
-Took the wheels off
-Power washed them
-Washed them with a soapy sponge
-Hit them with 1000 grip W/D sandpaper
-Wiped them down with paint thinner
-Let dry fully
-Put notecards between the tire and the rim to minimize over spray
-Did +/- 6 *thin* coats of Plastidip on each wheel
-Done!
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried Scotch Brite on the aluminum for the switch panel?
[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Renegade View Post
Have you tried Scotch Brite on the aluminum for the switch panel?
I've tried sandpaper, using a wire brush, and, more recently, sandblasting. The sandblasting has given the closest finish by far, but it's still too "matte." One or two more versions and I'll probably just give up and call it close enough
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #24
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

PO put window deflectors on my Jeep. They're starting to come off. I hated them from day one, but was worried about ruining the paint.

These stupid things:

I was going to wait until after finals to finish this, but the Jeep had other plans. The rear, passenger side deflector came off some and started smashing into the side of the Jeep at speed. The plan was to just take off the one that one and find a method that works.

You can see how much of the thing had come off...

I gathered some supplies that I had sitting around. I didn't get the eraser or fishing line yet--I was in a big hurry and didn't want the thing flapping in the wind anymore. So Goof-Off and dental floss made due.

This is what was left after cutting it off with the dental floss:

And then about ten minutes into cleaning off the glue with goof off and a rag it started raining. I quit and went back inside. If it stops, I'll go out and finish the other windows. This is what it looked like right as it started to rain:

The Goof Off and rag worked pretty well. I'm thinking about trying one of the Mr. Clean "Magic Erasers" tomorrow to see if that works. There were a couple of scratches in the paint, but I'm pretty sure most of them were from the #$%*ing thing banging in the wind. Hopefully they all buff out.
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I was driving on an "improved surface" and my muffler got caught on a stump... Pulled the exhaust all apart. Left the muffler hanging about 1" off of the ground.

Jacked it back up into place and put some real welds on it. At least its not dragging on the ground now...

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Finally finished this @#$%ing job. I got some braided fish line and it made quick work of cutting off the deflectors. It missed a little tiny bit of tape along the top of each, though. I found this stuff that Turtle Wax makes for removing tape and stickers from cars. It sounded like it was just what I wanted to finish the job.

This is right off of the label:

Quote:
Penetrating formula quickly dissolves adhesive residue on glass and painted surfaces
Easy solution for removing window stickers, bumper stickers, residue from tape, markers, crayons, lipstick and more!
Safe to use on all nonporous automotive surfaces, metal, paint, bumpers, plastic, and glass windows. Will not damage automotive paint.
It was great on the tape. It took less than 30 minutes to finish it all off. My only complaint was that it took off the @#$%ING CLEARCOAT! and in a couple of spots ate through the base paint. I sprayed it on like it said (2"-4" away), let it sit for 60 seconds, and wiped it off. Well after finishing and washing the whole Jeep, it was pretty obvious that this stuff was a little too good at removing. The fact that it smells like pure paint thinner should have been a warning...

Oh well. After 4 hours in the driveway with my entire kit of paint correction supplies usually reserved for the other vehicles, I fixed my @#$% up. It looks 90% back to normal. There's still some fade under where the deflectors were, but they're gone.

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Threw some marine terminals on the battery. It took 10 minutes and $6 in supplies. It's already one of my favorite little touches, though. The two other wires coming off of the +12V are the power inverter and my amplifier.

Old terminals:

Made sure the new ones fit before I started cutting anything...

And everything all connected.

I'll probably end up taping/heat shrink wrapping it all in the next couple of days to pretty it all up.
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #28
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I had the day off so I spent some quality time with the Jeep. First thing was changing the oil. It was 27 miles over due... Oops. The I put some bump in the trunk.

Seat still closes just fine.

Put a bass-level controller in

Wired in a kill-switch for the amplifier.

Mounted and wired up a Harbor Freight power inverter while I had the rolls of 4 gauge wire out.

Aaand put the shorty antenna on.

Unread 06-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Cleaned the IAC and TB today. Not really a "build" addition, but routine maintenance. I wasn't having idle issues, but I haven't cleaned it since owning the Jeep so I assumed it couldn't hurt.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

For some reason, cleaning the IAC hole reminded me of cleaning the star chamber on an M16... Before:

Star Chamber:
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Went back to the junkyard. This poor WJ has only been there for a couple of weeks. It's still 99% complete.

Grabbed a dash speaker and replaced the one I blew the other day.

Also put on the tow hooks I took from the same donor Jeep a couple of days ago.

All new grade 8 hardware

Installed:

And all buttoned up:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.