Mass TJ Frame Off Restoration - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mass TJ Frame Off Restoration

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #76
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Removed the track bar and cleaned the axle with Marine Clean and a 4.5" angle grinder. Put down two coats of rust reformer as a primer.

I did end up using the angle grinder to cut the track bar bolt out.

kvesi122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #77
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarderNH View Post
Yup me too
great work man!
Thanks! It's a lot of work but I can already tell it's worth the effort.
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #78
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CJ5er View Post
.....like the last pic. Subscribed.
I appreciate it man. I'll try to keep it updated as much as possible.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #79
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

I grew up in Sudbury and am still back around on a fairly regular basis. Good to see another local build.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #80
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I don't see too many people working on jeeps around here haha. Patrick has a badass setup though.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #81
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice work so far.
KINGJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #82
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you!

Just picked up a full set of stock control arms with 28k on them for $135 shipped. I want to keep this rebuild simple for now to keep problems to a minimum in the beginning. Once everything is back together and working properly I'll start upgrading.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #83
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I should be picking up a set of backing plates, calipers, rotors and ebrake cables from a 96 GC tomorrow from the junkyard. Everything for $80 and it's all in great shape. Bye bye drums.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #84
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well the junkyard parts were pulled off the wrong GC. They wouldn't let me pull them myself. Went back today to explain the situation. The manager seemed to understand want happened so it should be sorted out tomorrow. I used the brackets and e brake cables off the original GC. I may use the second set of calipers off the proper GC which was in much better condition or just use the crusty ones I have as cores for rebuilt calipers.

On the upside of things I will be placing an order with quadratec tomorrow for pre bent stainless brake lines, track bar bushings and coil spring isolators for the front and rear axles.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #85
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just placed an order with Quadratec for pre-bent stainless brake lines, new coil spring isolators (front and rear), axle seals and rear track bar bushings (poly).

The disc brake fiasco was not sorted out. The JY swapped the calipers for me but refused to tear apart another axle to swap the backing plates. I told them I would be more than willing to do it myself but yada yada no dice. I may have sourced a full replacement set for $100 that's an hr away with no rust and all the hardware. I'll keep the thread updated with details.

The brackets for the calipers cleaned up nicely. Very happy with those at least haha.
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #86
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The parts are in. To replace the backing plates I'm just picking up a full Dana 35 for $175 that's in great shape. I'll cannibalize it for the backing plates and ebrake hardware along with the spider gears and axle shafts. Whatever is left I'll sell off or just give away. The new brake lines are awesome! I'll be running them this week, most likely by Friday.

Would you guys suggest spraying 3M rubberized undercoating on the already painted frame? Or just do a quick spray with VHT's epoxy satin black paint?
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #87
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Between yesterday and today I rebuilt the majority of the rear axle with parts from the ZJ rear. New axle seals went in along with the spider gears from the ZJ. Ebrake hardware is being transferred to the backing plates.

My GF helped me move the frame out of the car port so that I can move the engine and tranny in there once they're pulled. I still don't understand why she agrees to help me with the jeep haha.

Today I ran around to pick up some of VHT's epoxy paint. I picked up two cans that are the regular black and purple cans of satin black and then 4 cans of their "high heat" roll bar and chassis satin black epoxy paint. Both list the same temp limits and have the same description. .50 difference for the title I guess?

However there is always a speed bump with any day of work. I was wiping down the frame after it sat for a year and noticed a little surface rust in some corners. I washed everything down and wiped it with a rag. The left frame rail near the rear LCA bracket started to peel from a tiny little pinhole. I kept sanding it down and ended up peeling a 16" strip down the from rail on the top, side and bottom. Busted out what was left of the POR15 and sanded the crap out of the edges of the peel. Put down two coats today. At this point F it. If it peels I'll just wheel it down and use some other undercoating. I followed their directions to the dot.

So hopefully that will cure in time for Tuesday when I can put down two coats of the VHT paint.

Here's a few pics of the frame all cleaned up.

The order came in from Quadratec so the brake lines are sitting in my room and the axle seals are installed. Worked on the rear trackbar yesterday. Those bushings are a PITA! I burned out the rubber but the bushing sleeve won't budge. I've been working at it with a chisel and hammer.

Then I decided to just rebuild the heep the Flintstones way with rectangular wheels to boot. The suspension is a little rough but man that lift looks mean!

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #88
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Disc conversion is done. Rear axle is semi bolted up

Unread 08-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #89
kvesi122
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the majority of the fuel lines yesterday. The gas tank is ready to go in however I need to find a replacement skid that isn't expensive.
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #90
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep up the good work, you'll eventually hit the point where things start going together really quickly...

...but then the finishing touches will take forever, of course

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.