Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #1381
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Most likely, this is the last 'real' run of the year.

Got my girl and her sister all excited to go camping with some friends, we picked Valley of Fire state park, I've never actually camped there and it's right in our back yard.

So, load'er up!!!

We hit the road, it had been overcast and we were worried about the weather but all for naught.

Headed in, it was looking gloomy, but the clouds starte dto break, and as soon as we went down into the valley and rounded the corner it was beautifully sunny.

Headed out towards Arch rock campground. The colors out here are amazing, these pics dont do it justice, when the sun would come out everything was just glowing red.

Picked a nice, secluded (we thought) camping spot, and backed her in!

We set up camp....

And as soon as we were done doing that, our "neighbors" came back. Turns out the next spot over was a group of kids (18?) that were loud as hell. Hootin' and hollerin' and back there in the canyon we could hear every word, forget about the "OOOH MY GOD's" and the "NOOOO WAY DUDE!!!!!'s" and the "BRO!!!!!!'s".

We dropped the camper, hooked up, and rolled back around the front of the campground.

All my friends, except for one, bailed for one reason or another. We set up the camper and went driving around a bit to watch the sun set.

OO look, 4000 year old petroglyphs!!

Ooooo, look, a petrified tree from 125,000,000 years ago!!!! but SSSSHHHHH dont disturb it, it's sleeping!

Here I am parked next to one of the "Beehives"

Kept driving, dun was going down

Got up to the top at Rainbow vista, and took a gander at the colors.

Headed back dowwwwwwn

And that was about it, the sun went down, we had a nice fire and some dinner, then crashed in the campah. It was nice, maybe high 30's at night. Stayed nice and warm in the bed under the blankets without the heat on.

My favorite part about the camper, is being "inside" and having room to move around. i woke up turned on the heater, and put on a pot of coffee.

Cooked up a delicious breakfast, all inside! (sorry, i'm still not used to the camper aspect)

And thats about it! We hooked up and headed home that day. Just a fun overnighter to get out of town.

Absolutely beautiful country out there, way better than Red Rock NCA. If you're ever in the area, I highly suggest visiting Valley of Fire.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #1382
jeep360limited

I love that Waggy...I remember back when you wanted to sell this thing, good to see you held onto it.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #1383
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Waggy and trailer look great. Definitely getting the overlander vibe from the setup and I wish to visit your part of the country in a Jeep one day. Did you finish school for L.A. yet? I am an Int. Arch. working towards my license in LA.
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #1384
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Waggy and trailer look great. Definitely getting the overlander vibe from the setup and I wish to visit your part of the country in a Jeep one day. Did you finish school for L.A. yet? I am an Int. Arch. working towards my license in LA.

Yeah, i graduated 2 years ago. Eek, 3 years ago this spring holy crap.

I dont have any post-grad time under a licensed LA though, so, nowhere near getting licensed :-(

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #1385
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That camper is sweet. I would really enjoy having one. I drive my jeep when I go wheeling and a camper like that would be sleeping on the ground any day. Plus it would be incentive to get my wife to go.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #1386
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, a few random things happened.

I went camping again, 2 weeks later (new years) in the same spot.

on that trip a wire hit my exhaust manifold, and was shorting. i had to pull over and correct that.

then i popped off a transmission line and shot like 3 quarts of ATF all over gods green earth. cleaned it up and then drove home, all seemed fine after i topped it off.

Then a week or 2 later my fan clutch gave up the ghost and started making a terrible racket. It had been loud for several weeks (the fan was running full strength 100% of the time) but i didnt realize what was going on until it started making a racket and rattling and clanking and squeeling belts. I had a fan/clutch from the 1987 engine i swapped in, so i just swapped out the whole unit in 10 minutes.

easy peasy. that is about it. i havent been driving the jeep much lately because its expensive and im poor.

Quote:

Unread 02-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #1387
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, HI!

I got bored. when i get bored, i find stuff to do. I just built a project gun, so now it's back to the jeep.

I'm poor. well, not poor but on a crazy budget ...so i like to do these projects for cheap cheap cheap!

1973 was not a good year for car stereos in jeeps apparently....as it wasnt even a stereo. Good ole AM radio with 1 speaker.

I've got a who-knows how old jensen tape deck with a digital display in the jeep, it was there 3 years ago when i bought it.

I had to replace the in dash speaker because the original one was long gone, and the 5x7 i put in there was too deep, so my radio hit it when installed in the dash slot.

I ended up putting my radio inside the glove box (missing the lining) and mounted my CB in the radio slot, under the speaker.

It worked. But for 3 years i have listened to only the left half of songs, and i have had to fish my radio out of the area behind the dash board too many times. ITS TIME TO TAKE ACTION.

My rear cargo panels are under my cargo cover that i built, so that being the 'obvious' location for speakers (the stock location for rear speakers in later years) was out. They'd be hidden and muffled.

So, when i replaced the speaker up front, it came with 2...but i only needed one. so it went back into the box for 3 years. all kinds of pretty wires too!

Okay, so i have 1 new speaker and one old speaker in my dash, thats fine, i'm sure i can blow the dust off of it.

But what to do?

Oh, hmm...

interesting prospect, but where will it go?

oh beautiful location!

So, i grabed some heavy magnets from harbor freight. These magnets (65lbs pull) will be mounted to the outside of the can eventually, allowing them to be connected to the metal body strip above the rear cargo area panels. This will allow me to remove them to pull out the cargo cover, with ease.

I harvested a few of these dealies off of an old set of pioneer speakers that do nothing more than serve as stands for my bose 901's.

These will get mounted to the wooden panel and serve as a quick disconnect for the ammo can. The ammo can will have a short length of speaker wire protruding, with SEVERAL FEET coiled inside. This will make it so i can remove and use the speakers outside the jeep, or on the tailgate, or heck, i can cling the magnets to the bumper, while camping or at the beach. When they go back in, you just coil up the wire inside the can and restick em to the side panel. BRILLIANT.

So, enough talk, lets DO SUMTHIN.

lay out a grid and start yer butt centerpunchin'

then, start drilling for what will seem like an eternity.

SHAMELESS PLUG: HARBOR FREIGHT STEP DRILLS ARE AMAZING. They are cheap, and make stuff like this SOOOOO easy.

then drill MORE

then drill MOOOORRREEEEE

then hope you drilled straight. clean up the holes, clean up the inside, rub it all down with some sand paper.

Then i used a piece of 1/2" MDF to space the speaker off of the can, and used 2 mdf chunks to hold the main frontal piece (to which the speaker is mounted with wood screws) in place.

Viola. You have a speaker box that should, if done right, sound horrible. However, it'll sound better than a crappy single speaker thats running off of a STEREO radio.

But were not done. Far from it.

Lets actually clean this sucker up.

soooo...i drilled a little crooked, i know. It looks 'okay' though, in my opinion. definitely good enough for what i wanted!

Thats as far as i got today, 1 speaker completely done, and no wiring done. eek.

Tomorrow i need to:

1. make the next speaker (including removing the one in the dash that i need)
2. install terminal cups in side panels.
3. install magnets on speaker cans
4. Run speaker wire to back of the truck.
5. reinstall radio in factory location (no more speaker in the way)
6. Relocate CB radio.
7. Rock out!

I'll update along the way...I always do!

Quote:

Unread 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #1388
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Sweet!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #1389
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Aite, updates.

So, the project area:

a rare view under my cargo cover, of all the crap i haul around all the time in the jeep. An undersized spare (32x11.50), tire iron, tool box with trail tool box with tools, box of various fluids, all kinds of hose sections, hatched, bricks, plastic tarp, etc etc.

this gave me the opportunity to clean the area. After 1 year of all that crap rattling around back there my Al's Liner still looks perfect. great product!

Anyway.

I put my radio back in the right spot, removed the speaker, and ran all my 16ga speaker wire to the back of the truck, under what little carpet i have left.

grabbed a hole saw, measured, and went to work. Installed the terminal cup, installed color coded connectors on the wire...

put it all back together and oooo clean!

Now if i ever want REAL speaker boxes or anything, the wire is all run and there you have it. quick disconnect too for these speakers.

While i was back there i took some extra carpet i had (same as the cargo cover) and laid it down.

cargo cover goes back in...looks nice and flush and awesome!

Okay, then wired up the speakers and time for a lil test!

It sounds decent, nothing amazing, but good enough. Obviously the cell phone video makes it sound worse. If i turn it up all the way it gets somewhat distorted, but so did the single speaker in the dash. I figure with 2 in there it will be a lot louder so, i wont need it cranked.

I tested the other side for function too, even though i haven't made the can yet.

Okay okay moving on!

how to mount them? where to store the extra wire? (i put enough wire so i can magnet them to my bumper, or set them on the ground behind the jeep, or put them on the roof, whatever.

So, i needed to put the magnets on the can, and drilled all the holes, but then i realized it may be best to store the extra cable outside the can so i dont have to bother with opening it to move the speakers.

I put 4 washers behind each magnet to provide a convenient "cord holder"

wow, thats neat! (i cannot tell if the magnets make any difference to the sound, it sounds the same to me)

here it is mounted in the jeep, again, the only thing holding it in place is the 2 65 pound magnets. you have to put a decent amount of force on them to yank it off. I can tug at it and it doesnt budge. short of rearending somebody while doing 45 (yes i considered this), i think they'll stay put. Also there is a bolt in front of them for the cargo cover, so that keeps them from sliding forward.

went back up front, cleaned up alot of wiring. Previously my radio only worked in "run" and for some reason my fuel pump and tachometer came on in "run" and "acc." Well, a quick switcheroo of those terminals on the fuse panel and we were in business! Radio and volt meter now work in 'run' and 'acc' while the fuel pump and tach only work in 'run'

Also mounted my CB below the AC, using the existing screws down there. Easy peasy.

I'm actually seriously impressed with how much this cleaned up my interior. Things look like they belong where they are now, and i dont have to ride around with my gaping empty glove box (or lack there of) open to use the radio like i have since day 1. SOOOOOO happy already with that!

now i just need to find a "more" period correct radio!

So, thats that i just need to make the 2nd actual speaker box.

Quote:

Unread 02-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #1390
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #1391
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen
Yea yes but those are $$$!

Quote:

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1392
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I never could keep the glove box closed on my old fsj by the factory hardware. Yours looks good and is that a tape deck? Vintage.
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1393
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

its a tape deck alright, but its nothing cool, its like a 1990's jensen.

Quote:

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #1394
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Anyway, finished em up:

(don't mind the head liner, thats on the list since i can start spending money on cosmetics now that most of the mechanical stuff is taken care of)

driving:

still need to stuff them with insulation tomorrow. they dont sound great by any means, but as said before, way better than the single speaker only listening to half of a song. I can get them pretty loud, but they tend to lose quality when i get to the upper 1/4th of the volume.

They'll do just fine for what i need though!

Quote:

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #1395
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

You should have done all this a year ago so I could see it when I was there.

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.