Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #1366
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON
what are those charcoal ovens all about ?

stratton.
They are used to create charcoal, which was then used in furnaces at the mines for the smelting process. Similar ovens were eventually used to make coke, which was more efficient. Also, coal was more efficient.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #1367
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Sahara
This thread is what makes me want to get a waggy! Im tempted to get a late 80s Wagoneer and put a chevy 5.3 in it to give it some more power and fuel efficiency. But that'd be a bit blasphemous wouldnt it? Awesome build Marn!
Nah not blasphemous really. Plenty of people do it. I just like simple old engines....the less electric the better.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1368
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Nah not blasphemous really. Plenty of people do it. I just like simple old engines....the less electric the better.
Haha this is true! Must say, I am envious! Keep posting up pics and vids! I love how simple yet luxurious these vehicles are!
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #1369
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hey Marn, I have a question that you might be able to answer. The AMC 360s were the standard engine for the Wagoneers pretty much through their whole run right? When did they start using differrent automatic trannys from the T 400? I am asking because
I spotted a newer Wagoneer in a salvage yard with the front driver's corner all smashed in. I am told the thing is going for stripping as soon as it clears the sheriff's sale. I have thoughts of buying the engine and tranny out of it and wonder what misery will be created in the swap from 73 to newer. The wreck is a full sized Wagonneer. The instrument cluster and dash in general have more mdern styling. What year did that happen? Thanks.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #1370
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I THINK 1980 is when they switched to the TF727 (same as the mopar somethingsomething727).

With that they switched to whatever t-case is driver drop, and the axles switched to driver drop (d44s or d44 and amc20 methinks depending on year).

If you pull the motor you're fine to put that into an older rig. It will bolt up to your trans. There are a few things to know though.

You may have the nailhead transmission that uses an adapter ring to bolt to the motor. With this there is also a spacer that goes on the crank, and the flexplate bolts to the crank with extra long bolts that go through the spacer.

The only difference between the engines that had the 727 and the 400 are that the 400 has a shim that goes inside the hole in the end of the crank, where the snout from the torque converter goes.

If you put in an engine that had a 727 you need to put the shim inside the crank to center the snout of the TC. If not it'll vibrate and you'll kill your trans.

If you are putting a 727 on an old engine, you need to pry the shim out of the crank.

The transmission tho...you'll either need to run the t-case it came with (which would require new axles because they will be drover drop) or adapt to run your d-20 on the 727 Tranny and I don't know if that's possible.

There's no real reason to go away from the th400 tho, especially for the tf727. They are both good strong trannys and neither one has overdrive....

Also, if you're dropping in a new engine just take all the ignition stuff from the new engine.

I put in an engine from an 87 into my 73. All I really needed was the bushing that goes in the crank, and updated ignition (a new duraspark box). Everything else bolted up totally fine.

Unread 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #1371
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks Marn. I'll check this other Wagoneer out more in the future. The Pumpkin runs fine. It just leaks a lot. It is leaking out of the front of the torque converter some and the the engine seals, among other places. I think a lot of the gaskets are original.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #1372
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, I'm at it again.

Hadn't driven the jeep in a few weeks so pulled it out of storage Friday night. I had a buddy who needed to do a shake down run with his 56 Willys (with a brand new GM V8 under the hood) before going out to Hump 'N Bump next weekend, so we gathered a few other jeeps and went off to a nice easy trail for the day.

We met up around 11:30 am, and headed into the desert, towards Goodsprings, NV on the old spanish trail or cottonwood canyon or whatever its called.

So, for ONCE I'm not the oldest jeep in the group! Even though everything except the body on that Willys is either brand new or 100% refurbished....we'll still give it credit!

You've all seen it before....dusty roads eventually give way to beautiful desert scenery. With the cooler weather and recent rains, everything was very green.

So we start to climb a bit.

We took a detour and headed up a trail that goes to the 99 Mine, which is where the foot trail that leads to the Carol Lombard plane crash site begins.

The road just got super crummy. It wasnt rough in a good, challenging way, it was just rough in an annoying way, and we just decided to head back to the main trial before we got too far. It was like driving over softball to volleyball size rocks. Blah. Just crappy and rough.

Before i backed up and turned around I paused for a few shots. (FYI at this off camber position my truck was barely running. It was at like 300 RPM and could hardly stay alive, stupid carb, soon as it was actually moving tho it was fine).

Check out my SWEET FLEX!!!!!! OOOH YEAH!!!!! Leaf springs rock!

K, enough embarrassing myself with that lack of flex.

Paused for another pic on the way down. Just though it was a neat spot. Not sure which pic is better.

Like I said, it was fun having an older sibling on this trip, I'm sure my jeep enjoyed the company!

We headed up to an overlook where you can see the entire city of Vegas in the distance. Just some neat pics (me in the red)

Well, the rest of the trail is pretty slow, more of the same desert scenery, more dust, more jeeps.

We all stopped to air up. Well, not me. I didnt air down. But everybody else did.

The coolest part about goodsprings is the world famous Pioneer Saloon. Oldest bar in Clark County.

Pretty much the only way to drink PBR is from a Mason Jar....

Bullet holes in the wall where a man was shot in 1915

The 'Carol Lombard Room'

Anyway, after a beer or two we packed up and headed back to town.

OH, home sweet home....

Unread 10-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #1373
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, prior to the trail run, yesterday I headed over to a friends house to get my stupid shock tab taken care of AGAIN.

The offending tab that keeps breaking....after we cleaned it up

The master at work with the welder

All better:

Realized this tho...ugh. stupid bushing.

Unread 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #1374
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

awesome pics. any close ups or specs of your buddys willy ?

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #1375
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON
awesome pics. any close ups or specs of your buddys willy ?

stratton.
Nope!

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #1376
cordell2016

When you dropped your gas tank how many bolt were holding it up?
cordell2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #1377
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell2016 View Post
When you dropped your gas tank how many bolt were holding it up?
which one?

the aux tank had 3 massive carriage bolts going through it.

the stock tank has 1 bolt at the front, one at the back, and 2 on a single bracket on the inside edge

Unread 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #1378
cordell2016

I was talking about the stock because I'm taking mine off and can seem to have all the bolts and hostess off....
cordell2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1379
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

put some diamond plate armor on the front of the camper to keep it from getting mashed in and chipped up by rocks anymore the front was beat from 30 years of dirt roads apparently. more in my camper thread.

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1380
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

took a trip up Mt. Charleston to go to the lodge for lunch. About a 120 mile round trip. Crap...i use like 13 gallons of gas.

Anyway, nice day trip. Dunno how the waggy would handle the ride pulling the camper. You gain about 5200' in 20-25 miles. I was in 2nd gear doing 50-55 the whole time, unladen. I'd be interested to see if I'd be stuck going like 25mph in 1st haha. The trip up to ely had a crazy climb at the end, and it did fine then, just put her in 2nd and went like 40-45 didnt skip a beat.

Anyway...pics.

Hi everybody!!!

Look like a familiar spot?

Roughly 8200' i think

Went up to the ski resort to show it to Dani.

Then headed down a bit and turned off at Macks Canyon. I've been camping up here before. I dragged the magnum out there, it was scraping at every rough spot, bad.

This is where we camped previously..

Merry Christmas

Headed DOWWWWWNNNN

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.