Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 91 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #1351
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

sealed up my gas tank...AGAIN. hopefully it'll last a while this time.

I also set up to pick up a plastic tank from an 80 waggy with the skid from a fellow FSJ'r this coming week or this weekend.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #1352
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, It's story time. I'm sure y'all know how I like to tell the tales of my trips I take....so, here goes.

A little back story. You may remember about 13 months ago I loaded up my girl, and my camping gear into the waggy and headed north for Ely, NV on a hot weekend to get out of the desert. Well ,the truck fought me the entire way form the minute I set tire on the highway, it died several times in various places for various reasons (mostly fuel system issues, heat issues etc), and I kinda put the truck away for a few months after that trip, but then did a ton of work over the winter/spring to eliminate the issues.

You've also seen that I recently acquired an old pop up camper, cleaned it up, painted it, lifted it, new tires, etc. After that, and several recent 'trial' trips in the truck....it was time to get out of the city for real!

...It was time for MY JEEP to kick the ROAD's Butt!

So, like I just said, this was the exact same trip that was a huge PITA last year....and this was the first time I've ever towed for any distance with the truck too. I was a bit nervous going in....but stayed confident.

We made plans to replicate the trip exactly, and loaded out geat, then headed off pointed north!

We had a total of 4 vehicles going up in the end, but they were spread out over a while. My buddy (with his rubi and M101/RTT combo) and I left the city around noon, on friday.

He had a wonderful view (of my fat arse jeep and trailer) for the 4.5 hour ride up north. Kinda neat to see my rear end traveling through different elevations of desert, over the course of the day.

I was also using my little action video camera to capture a bunch of stills and video (im still working on a movie) of the trip. Kinda neat with the fish-eye

We were enjoying the ride!

So, we kept it to 60mph and I squeezed out a wonderful 10mpg on the 250 mile trip up there! Arrived at the camp site, it was empty.

So, the first leg of the trip went off without a hitch, everybody eventually rolled up the the camp site and we had a good night. I couldnt get the heater to fire in my camper though (i'm assuming the thermocouple is bad) but i had brought my portable heater, so all was well.

The next day ,we woke up for breakfast, and headed out for a day trip that I was unable to tackle last time we were up here. Thr Success Loop is a 30ish mile long road that goes up into the mountains behjind Cave Lake state park. Its literally just a dirt road in the summer, but is unmaintained in the winter. Luckily, it's still summer!

We were climbing, climbing, climbing....

Ely itself is at about 6500' elevation. Our campsite was at about 7000'. We peaked out at 9072' at the top of success, and the jeep was still purring like a kitten! Now THATS successful!

Beautiful scenery on the way down, took some pics in the aspens.

Headed back to town, met up with a guy from jeepforum for lunch, then headed back to the campsite for the night.

View from the campsite:

The charcoal Ovens:

Did a little hike the next morning, then loaded everything up for the return trip.

Uneventful ride home, but we stopped at the sign for the E.T. Highway and my buddy grabbed a good pic.

So, another 100 miles on the road, and I pulled back into the city of Las Vegas on a sunday afternoon. All in all....good trip.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1353
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

As I was driving home that sunday afternoon, I realized something. This trip was the first time I was able to use the jeep for EXACTLY what I had originally bought it for, with no worries, and absolutely no problems.

It took me 2.5 years of work, thousands of dollars, and 16 stitches (along with a dozen other scars), but it's all been worth it. Ever dollar, every hour, has finally made this vehicle what I wanted.

I hopped in the truck, hooked up a camper (or filled it with camping gear), towed it for several hours to a remote location out of the city, set up camp, took it for a day trip trail ride, came back to camp, hooked up, and drove it home, all with zero issues.

That, right there, is why I own a wagoneer. This, right here, was the first time all of my plan came to fruition. I felt really good after realizing that.

Quote:

Unread 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1354
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #1355
en480c4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Glad to hear everything went as planned. I've enjoyed reading your thread (love the Waggies, and the trailer to match is great), and know all too well the pains when a plan doesn't come together. But it does makes the success that much more enjoyable. Great job, and thanks for documenting the trip.
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #1356
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Congrads Marn! Don't leave your tool box home though. It is a 40 year old truck. Did you notice the trailer behind you much? Did you get your electric brakes to work?
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #1357
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin
Congrads Marn! Don't leave your tool box home though. It is a 40 year old truck. Did you notice the trailer behind you much? Did you get your electric brakes to work?
I noticed the trailer. Not so much in handling just in weight. Pushing up hills I would slow down to 55-50 unless I got a running start....this was staying in 3rd though. However I only ever bottomed out at 45 going up over the pass into and out of Ely. I just clicked it into 2nd and took my time. 45 was no issue in 2nd gear. Prolly could have gone faster, but I see no need to push things,

It doesn't have electronic brakes it has surge breaks and no, I never fiddled with them before we left. I guess I don't see a real need to. But maybe if I'm bored one weekend I'll try get them cleaned out flushed and functional.

Gotta get the heater working first.

Quote:

Unread 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #1358
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Have you really used your 4WD much yet?
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #1359
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Have you really used your 4WD much yet?
Uh...yes. alot. Almost every wheeling trip I go on why?

Quote:

Unread 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #1360
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Uh...yes. alot. Almost every wheeling trip I go on why?
I don't mean this as a smart *** comment. I have not seen much terrain in your pictures that would warrant 4wd. I have it in my pick-up, but seldom use it except in the worst of mud and snow. I was just curious.
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #1361
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It took me 2.5 years of work, thousands of dollars, and 16 stitches (along with a dozen other scars), but it's all been worth it. Ever dollar, every hour, has finally made this vehicle what I wanted.

That, right there, is why I own a wagoneer. This, right here, was the first time all of my plan came to fruition. I felt really good after realizing that.
awesome man. thats what its all about. bad *** wagoneer by the way, i like it alot.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #1362
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:

I don't mean this as a smart *** comment. I have not seen much terrain in your pictures that would warrant 4wd. I have it in my pick-up, but seldom use it except in the worst of mud and snow. I was just curious.
The majority of the trails I run don't require you to click into 4wd as soon as you pull off the pavement. Most of them are old two-tracks and non-maintained roads. Alot of These roads have sections where 4x4 is a major help, or is fully necessary.

Sometimes there's a steep section of loose rock and dirt, sometimes there are off camber hill climbs on washed out sections, sometimes I put it in 4wd so I don't have to burn my brakes descending several thousand feet in a matter of miles, sometimes it's long stretches of crushed shale that's several inches deep that makes it difficult to steer in 2wd, sometimes it's driving over basketball sized boulders, sometimes it's climbing ledges, so on and so forth. It may only be a 5 minute section, it may only be one obstacle, it may be several miles.

Quote:

Unread 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1363
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As I was driving home that sunday afternoon, I realized something. This trip was the first time I was able to use the jeep for EXACTLY what I had originally bought it for, with no worries, and absolutely no problems.

I hopped in the truck, hooked up a camper (or filled it with camping gear), towed it for several hours to a remote location out of the city, set up camp, took it for a day trip trail ride, came back to camp, hooked up, and drove it home, all with zero issues.

Full of win!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #1364
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what are those charcoal ovens all about ?

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #1365
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is what makes me want to get a waggy! Im tempted to get a late 80s Wagoneer and put a chevy 5.3 in it to give it some more power and fuel efficiency. But that'd be a bit blasphemous wouldnt it? Awesome build Marn!

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.