Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #121
jblox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i love wagoneers. crawled!

jblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #122
Geister

im subbing to his thread. the wagoneer is awesome.
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #123
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, took her on her maiden voyage to test the waters, so to speak.

Look how happy I am...

Plan was to roll down across the hoover dam and take a 5 or 6 mile trail out to Lake Mohave on the AZ side, but across the dam one side of the highway was closed so I couldn't access the trail head.

Turned around and went to a lesser known beach on lake mead. It was nice, a few boats around but we were the only car there.

Just a crappy dirt road down to the beach with some nice views.

Then just a beach area with boats in the background.

OVerall it was about a 140 mile trip, jeep did great. It was about 109 near the lake, but then we went down to Nelson, NV and it got hotter, above 110. Jeep was getting HOT on big hills at highway speeds. I was trying to keep it going on the ups and downs at about 50mph on the road to nelson, but temp got up to around 225...EEK. Slowed down to about 40 and it dipped below 210 and stayed there.

Also, cleaned out the underside a little bit the other day. I thought i had a can of de-greaser, but apparently didnt. Still alot better than before.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #124
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, I eventually discovered a loose bolt on my flexplate, which pretty much kinda sorta solved the noise I was hearing...

But, there was still some noise "left over" if that makes any sense. A constant tick tick tick tick tick tick!

So, I made some more wonderful videos for you all.

You can hear it well from outside or under the truck, but this video best captures the noise as I was able to rev it right there. It sounds like its coming from upper driver side, a little bit back.

Clearly it increases to a instant tick at high rpms, then rattles and settles back into rhythm as it idles down.

This happens when warm or cold (read: with high or low oil pressure). Ticks with 65PSI on cold start, ticks with 25psi on warm high RPM.

Sounds maybe like a loose rocker to me? But I'm simply judging my the sound my lady's 69 nova made, and by youtube videos.

I guess my plan is to hope it's a rocker or pushrod, rather than a lifter....as that should be much easier to replace! This weekend I'll yank the valve cover and give 'er a looksee...

but in the meantime any guidance is appreciated!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #125
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These things are just plain awesome! Especially with MT's. keep this thing up!
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #126
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm plannin on it! I work on it a little every day, and drive it on the weekends.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #127
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My first check would just be to see if it was a rocker tick. That's what it seems like. Pull the valve cover and see if any of them are loose. If it's just loose you might be able to get away with just tightening it down correctly.
Unread 08-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #128
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, today I flushed my radiator out (I've got 3 gallons of anti freeze that I need to dispose of...any advice?)

Then adjusted the clamps on some of the fuel fill neck to hopefully keep it from dripping gas all the time when its full...

I got all excited and found an air nozzle on my bumper with lines going towards the shocks, and thought i had adjustable shocks...well, no, I don't, the lines were cut off and didn't go anywhere, so they must have done that when they put in the lift, so I ripped all that crap out.

Disconnected the trailer harness from the plug on my bumper, no need to keep it connected. I want to remove the trailer brake module from under my dashboard soon, but i need to remove the steel brake line from the master cylinder to it...and dont know how to cap it.

Then listened around some more for my strange noise with my new stethoscope, maybe its the fuel pump?

Then poked a hole half the side of a dime through the floor where I saw some rust. (small patch, under the rear rubber floor mat...still amazingly rust free for a 37 year old truck).

Then I went grocery shopping in the wagoneer. (insert jokes here).

Next items on the list are to fix my headlight switch, which went out, bypass the ammeter, bolt down my jerry can holder, and a million other things.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #129
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alrighty, it cooled down so I went back outside before it got dark to look into my headlight issue.

I saw what a wonderful rats nest the previous owners left me. In order to get to the switch I had to unbolt the brake box (which I want gone...but its tied into the master cylinder?) and figured since I was down there I'd make some changes.

Pulled out the selector switch for the fuel gauge....could switch between the two gas tanks. And just hard wired the lead from the aux tank to the gauge.

Pulled out the switch and disconnected my electric fuel pump (from when the aux tank was actually auxilary...) and pulled the wires for that.

It still looks like this, after removing a few switches and wires....gotta love rednecks. I think i see like 1 section of original wiring under there, haha.

then this is what I get to deal with under the hood...dear god, what a damn mess haha. Oh well, I'm slowly sorting through it.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #130
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, I hate when people do half a stuff like that, got pissed because I found 2 old wires that went to no where in my Jeep when I bought it. Well on the bright side looks like you will have something to work on the next couple weeks.

Why did you disconnect the trailer wiring, don't plan on pulling anything? Also one more question, you own two station wagons? at least both have v8's.
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #131
ujehed
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Gave my baby a wash...and started a little special something...

No waggy is complete without a hood emblem.... adds 13.8 hp and cant remember the torque specs, you get the idea
ujehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #132
ujehed
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Well, I eventually discovered a loose bolt on my flexplate, which pretty much kinda sorta solved the noise I was hearing...

But, there was still some noise "left over" if that makes any sense. A constant tick tick tick tick tick tick!

So, I made some more wonderful videos for you all.

You can hear it well from outside or under the truck, but this video best captures the noise as I was able to rev it right there. It sounds like its coming from upper driver side, a little bit back.

Clearly it increases to a instant tick at high rpms, then rattles and settles back into rhythm as it idles down.

This happens when warm or cold (read: with high or low oil pressure). Ticks with 65PSI on cold start, ticks with 25psi on warm high RPM.

Sounds maybe like a loose rocker to me? But I'm simply judging my the sound my lady's 69 nova made, and by youtube videos.

I guess my plan is to hope it's a rocker or pushrod, rather than a lifter....as that should be much easier to replace! This weekend I'll yank the valve cover and give 'er a looksee...

but in the meantime any guidance is appreciated!
This sounds like an extremely small exhaust leak to me? Just an idea. Love the wag.
ujehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #133
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujehed View Post
This sounds like an extremely small exhaust leak to me? Just an idea. Love the wag.
Yeah, I've been getting alot of that, gonna check the manifold bolts today.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #134
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
Why did you disconnect the trailer wiring, don't plan on pulling anything? Also one more question, you own two station wagons? at least both have v8's.
Yup, no desire to tow with this waggy, it has a hard enough time starting and stopping itself and running warm as is, haha. Maybe like a little M101 trailer, but thats it.

And yes, I own two station wagons....and i wheel them both.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #135
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great build Marn, one of my grade / high school buddies dad used Waggies as a rural postal delivery vehicle. He went through a few of them and one was this color.

I didn't see a clear pic of your master cylinder, if your trailer controller is hooked up like the ones I've removed from pickups your going to have to bleed the brakes to remove it. I usually wait until I have to replace the master cylinder and get rid of it then. On the ones I've removed I take the "T" out and plumb the brake line back into the master cylinder.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.