Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #106
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The flexplate can be accessed without dropping the trans (at least for inspection), BUT if you have the 3" spacer between the motor and trans (Buick Nailhead) the flexplate is special.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #107
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
The flexplate can be accessed without dropping the trans (at least for inspection), BUT if you have the 3" spacer between the motor and trans (Buick Nailhead) the flexplate is special.
True. Marn, get down there with a couple screwdrivers and pry against the side of the case against the teeth to turn the flywheel and look at it. See if there is anything wrong with it.
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #108
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
If my Jeep wasn't stuck in our shop, I would say drive it down here and we would try and knock it out in a day. We have the tools needed and then some.
no problem, shes in being looked at today.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #109
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
no problem, shes in being looked at today.
Are you blind?
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #110
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alrighty. Had a new cat installed to help everything out, and also putting in new jets and metering rods, to lean out the mixture.

She should be good to go and registered next week. Finally!

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #111
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #112
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Annnddddddddd....she's back!

Been driving her last night and today for work. Registered, smogged, and insured. Drives all nice!

On with the mods/repairs.

Unread 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #113
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have moved on to making the jeep more drivable by making it not reek like gas. Here is a wonderful description of my redneck gas system

Whats killing me is the smell while driving it. Reeks like gasoline, and if i roll down the rear window, it reeks like exhaust (duh), so i'd like to eliminate the gas smell...well, i did some research.

FYI I'm running an after market rear fuel tank, jeep is set up for an auxiliary tank, the stock one was removed because they thought it was dirty, and everything was just hooked straight to the aux tank. I have an electric fuel pump connected to nothing, and a valve on my floor to control the tank flow, but basically its the stock set up all run to the aux tank....anyway...moving on...

Seems like a saturated carbon canister or whatever can cause this to happen. That was my first stop! Pulled it out, disconnected the two lines labeled "tank" and "carb." The carb line was going to a 3 way vacuum fitting on the brake booster, so i figure that was okay...other line went back towards the gas tank.

Well, the canister is open on the bottom, and it smelled fine. a little like engine, but i didnt get a nasty gas smell like it was soaked? Moving further down the line...

I start to discover the WONDERFUL bubbatized nature of my fuel system...they apparently welded a fill pipe so the gas flowed into both tanks. After removing the stock tank, it was pinched and welded shut, so it just goes into the aux tank.

now we see the red line running into this little box, with 2 black lines that I assume attached to the vents on the original tank...but now they go nowhere. we also see how the actual fill nozzel and the blue vent line for the aux tank just vents INSIDE THE VEHICLE, behind this poorly attached panel. So, that explains why my quarter panel was pouring gas from the inside when I over filled it today.

the red line that runs to the canister is attached to nothing technically.

Plan is to correctly connect the breather line to the fitting on the fill neck, and then run a vented gas cap for a bit, until i reinstall the stock tank and can utilize the carbon canister system correctly. Woohoo! Should be an easy fix if'n ya ask me. Hopefully it wont reek inside anymore.

Unread 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #114
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like your illustrations. Very artistic. Good luck with everything. I hate all the stuff involved with fuel lines or electrical gremlins...

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #115
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

Man I've always wanted one of these but the ol' ball n chain would flip sh**. More than one old *** vehicle is too much haha. I'm really liking your build so far, I've read through the thread but I couldn't find anything on specific future plans for her so what are they?
apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #116
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I like your illustrations. Very artistic. Good luck with everything. I hate all the stuff involved with fuel lines or electrical gremlins...
Its all simple really, just was kinda ghetto fabbed when they removed the stock tank (aux tank has been in the jeep for a long time). It'll all be back to normal when i can get my hands on some money for a new tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfroggy0408 View Post
Man I've always wanted one of these but the ol' ball n chain would flip sh**. More than one old *** vehicle is too much haha. I'm really liking your build so far, I've read through the thread but I couldn't find anything on specific future plans for her so what are they?
Future plans are pretty much to get her in ship shape, and keep her the way she is. I love the setup, but it needs a tiny bit more lift. Probably just going to be going down the road of adding more accessories to it. It rides GREAT on the road, and I'd like to use it for camping and trail riding, no crazy crawling or anything.

Unread 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #117
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alrighty, got that gas problem taken care of, got a big enough line to run from the breather tube to the fill neck....which is the correct solution,(hopefully now if i over fill the tank it wont all pour out inside my damn fender) except for the fact that the gas tank cannot vent now...because there is no vent or charcoal canister system on this tank to my knowledge...now...if only i could find a vented gas cap...or figure out how to drill holes in a non vented one...hmm....

All better...but the fact that i added 2 more hose clamps to this poor truck means i've made it even more red neck.

Also saw this last time i was under there....even with my inferior mechanics knolwedge, i fgure a tranny mount should actually be BOLTED to something.

all better.

I got so damn greasy working under there, im off to a car wash to pressure wash all that **** off.

Unread 08-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #118
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Also saw this last time i was under there....even with my inferior mechanics knolwedge, i fgure a tranny mount should actually be BOLTED to something.

all better.

I got so damn greasy working under there, im off to a car wash to pressure wash all that **** off.

Mmmm yeah, I think I see your problem! The washer is missing!!

My Chev has been missing those 2 bolts for several years. (discovered them missing when I went to fix the front Ujoint and found out it was the bolt in the yoke that had come loose!)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #119
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Id try steam cleaning. Or soak it all in degreaser before you take it to get it pressure washed.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #120
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Id try steam cleaning. Or soak it all in degreaser before you take it to get it pressure washed.
Degreaser in a weed sprayer or something of the sorts. We have a drum we get degreaser out of and put it in a weed sprayer to be able to mist it on things.

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.