Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 67 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #991
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i wonder if'n i could make one. Probably be real easy, hardest part would be fabbing the mounts i bet.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #992
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
i wonder if'n i could make one. Probably be real easy, hardest part would be fabbing the mounts i bet.
It could be done easily enough.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #993
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Aiiiite....tonights projects are mainly electrical...my favorite. ugh.

I feel like my previous owner, it looks like all the wiring im doing is green and yellow, i feel like a jerk, but hey, there are only so many different colors of wire, right?

I'll be sure to explain what each thing is to any subsequent owners of my wagoneer, haha.

Anyway, i had all this crapola:

and wanted to start with this:

I picked up a 1600 amp wiring kit, because i figured that'd be close enough to an inverter...and went to town.

End result is this:

Pretty dern clean....all the wiring goes under the carpet (or whats left of it)

I havent wired it completely, just ran everything. I'm planning on a setup like this up at the battery. Just mounting straight to the bat, then the 100 amp fuse, then following back the rest of the way to the inverter.

Now, I need help. What is a good solid ground in the back? Is a nice fat screw into the body going to be enough for the 700w inverter? Or do i need to find something better?

Next, i moved on to wiring the lights in the back.

I installed a nice lil relay on the fireway right next to the fuse panel to keep the stuff up and out of the way.

I'm beginning to LOVE relays, and LOVE heat shrink by the way, a lil more work, but everything stays organized and is much more safe and neat!

While wiring everything i started cleaning up my "Accessory" wiring by the battery. i took one 14 Gauge wire to a circuit breaker block, and then ran all the accessories off of the lil breaker. Seems a lot more clean that way, and keeps everything off my battery terminals. Only things coming off the positive are the main wire, the wire to the circuit block, and the wire to power my headlights.

I know it doesnt look pretty, but its not finished yet, but at least everything "Extra" goes to one place and whatnot. More organized i suppose would be the best way to put it.

And the final result.

Other than being clearly different colors (what do you want for 9.99?) i think they'll serve their purpose quite well, providing light out the rear of the truck while wheelin' or campin'

Thats all i wrote...tonight.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #994
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just don't crunch the lights, and they'll be fine.

As for the ground for that inverter, I would ground it at the frame, if possible. there should be a nice spot nearby. I'm sure a screw into the body will work, though.

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #995
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I can't get to the frame without drilling a 1/2" hole in the body....and I cannot fit my drill and a large bit anywhere under there easily at this point.

I added another ground from the battery to the body which should help, and have a few straps from the block to the frame....I should probably add a frame to body ad well.

Those fog lights are grounded to the body with self tapping screws and seem just fine so hopefully the fatty 700 watt connection will be okay too.

Unread 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #996
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I can't get to the frame without drilling a 1/2" hole in the body....and I cannot fit my drill and a large bit anywhere under there easily at this point.

I added another ground from the battery to the body which should help, and have a few straps from the block to the frame....I should probably add a frame to body ad well.

Those fog lights are grounded to the body with self tapping screws and seem just fine so hopefully the fatty 700 watt connection will be okay too.
Any chance you can get a strap and ground the body to frame near the back? Probably overkill, but couldn't hurt.

Or just run it as it is, and modify later on, if need be.

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #997
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Any chance you can get a strap and ground the body to frame near the back? Probably overkill, but couldn't hurt.

Or just run it as it is, and modify later on, if need be.
Thats what i was thinking, just going from the body to the frame, right near where i am grounding to the body.

Also, im going to have new body mounts and all new body bolts, so that should strengthen the body-to-frame ground

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #998
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Tonights project was pretty basic, I didnt have much time to work on it, nor was I super motivated (I'm pretty tired these days, worked on it until midnight last night). After work I stopped by my buddy's house to help him with some wiring on his little M101 trailer.

I stopped at my favorite place, harbor freight, and picked up a trailer wiring harness (for the truck and the trailer) for 7.99.

My truck was originally set up for some heavy duty towing apparently. I can tell by looking at the wiring that it has had a FEW trailer harnesses installed, looked like a 4 pin (a bunch of tap-in connectors were left, but going nowhere) and an old obsolete 6 pin. I also have a trailer brake (not wired, but still connected to the brake MC) and my hitch appears to be heavy duty, and used.

I had long since removed the 12v feed and the electric brake feed from the 6 pin connector, but left the other lights so i could reference a 6 pin diagram and know what was what when the day I installed a 4 pin came. That made this VERY easy. Took about 30 min start to finish.

Sadly, my old 6 pin was drilled through the bumper, so i have to leave it, I dont want a gaping hole in my chrome. Oh well, nostalgia I suppose.

I got the 4 pin test wired, and pulled out my lil tester widget. Everything checked out fine, but the left and right signals were flipped.

I also noticed that my tail lights are amazingly brighter these days.

Anyway, I flipped the light connections, shortened the wire, got out the heat shrink and crimp connectors, and went to town. Finished it up with some nice split loom. Doesnt look too bad I'd say, and it tucks VERY easily/nicely out of way above the hitch in the frame when not in use.

Wooo! I could go hook up to a trailer tomorrow and tow it! Well, if I replaced my gas tank by tomorrow, haha.

Tomorrow I dont think I'll get anything done, but on saturday, the bed liner is going in!

Unread 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #999
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Got a TON of work done today. Had a buddy come over, i supplied the beer, and the girls made lunch.

Started off by scuffing the interior with 100 grit sand paper, then mixed up the Als Liner.

One thing to note about Als Liner is that it sets up too thick to use in about 20-30 minutes. I knew this because i read it somewhere, but it said nothing about it in the manual.

I had no way to divide the material into 2 parts to mix separately, so we just mixed it all and went to town. We figured with 2 of us rolling it wouldnt takk to long and we'd be fine.

Well, we got 2 coats in on the tailgate and cargo area, and when we went to do the 2nd coat on the side panels, it had become too thick and was sticking like clay or something, and we couldnt go any further.

The actual dry time they say is 24 hours for light duty, 72 hours for full duty. We were able to "work" on and around the bed liner about an hour after it was installed. I could go out there right now and step on it and it wouldnt hurt it, but you can still "scratch" it it seems.

The 2nd coat, i literally poured a bunch into the floor area and just spread it around, so we got the heavy use area nice and thick.

Probably only used about HALF of the one gallon kit. Would have gone thicker and more coats, but oh well.

Here's the end result:

If you let it tack up for a few minutes, then roll over it it'll dry with some texture. I didnt want it rough like the herculiner i did in my TJ, so i didnt add anything like sand or crumb rubber, just gave it a little texture with the roller.

In all honesty, it doesnt really even look like anything was done if you compare it to an original pic, just looks more clean...but thats exactly what i wanted. Looks like it probably looked when it left the factory, save the texture. I was VERY pleased with how the color of the liner was soooo close to the color of the interior. P.S. those funny tan body bolt caps have since been painted a better color.

Before:

After:

After that, we wired in the inverter and got that side panel fully buttoned up for good. Tested the inverter with my dremel and it worked just fine!

Installed the big ole 100 Amp fuse right next to the battery.

somewhere along the way i whacked my hand on something and stabbed it pretty good, just did a trail repair and kept on cooking. It aint a day workin' on the jeep unless you bleed a lil!

Should be handy when camping!

Final project for the day arrived while we were in the garage.

H4's son!

Install was literally plug and play. Here's the H4 casing and bulb on the right, and the original 7" sealed beam on the left.

back of the housing with the H4 in the socket.

Very inexpensive, but they seemed like good quality. I'll report on how they perform on the road once the truck is driving again.

Also, I got my spare tire together. It's a brand new 32x11.50 but should be fine. I carry a plug kit and will pick up a lil compressor too, so the spare is literally a last resort. Brand new 32 is probably pretty close to a used 33 in size...and besides, i doubt 1" in diameter makes much of a difference to the differential.

Pulled it off the steel jeep rim it came with and put on my spare chrome wagon wheel.

When i bought the spare the guy had a hi-lift too, it was kinda beat up, but how can you beat up a hi-lift? I was bored while doing clean up after a day of working, so i stripped it down, cleaned it, painted it, and lubed the pins and whatnot. I know it'll flake off if its used, but whatever, looks good now.

So, we are almost done, just need to get my gas tank in (still waiting on o rings and lock rings....grrrrr) and tomorrow I'm going to make a cargo deck to go over the top of the spare tire.

Other than that, i think i'm about done for this round. I want those gas tank parts so i can driiiive.

Unread 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #1000
McRoberts
2011 JK Wrangler 

The liner looks excellent. The color looks great.
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #1001
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks! I seriously was pretty surprised at how close it was.

Unread 01-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #1002
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Todays project pretty much wrapped up the interior. And, i'm actually pretty darn proud of this one. It came out WAY better than i could have hoped.

Made a rear cargo cover. with such a fat spare tire living in the back of the truck, it would be a pain putting groceries or camping gear on/around the tire (i've done it for 1.5 years with a 29" back there, and it was just annoying to not be able to set anyhting flat in the back).

Withsome basic supplies and some time, i whipped up something that came out really nice.

If anybody is interested, I can post up another thread with instructions and dimensions and material costs and everything, just let me know.

Took about 2.5 hours with the help of a buddy. The two "legs" are attached to the side panels for good, and the top of the trunk/cover is one solid piece of wood that just lifts out through the back.

Now, I realized a board the full width of the rear cargo space would not fit through the front or back of the truck, so i had to cut it doen an improvise an edge to make it fit well without a gap, again, i can explain that later if want.

Tell me what you think:

Plenty of room for my spare, and my two tool boxes

However, there was one oversight i'm not happy about. i didnt think about storing Jerry Cans..... D'OH!

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #1003
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Maybe you can find some plaxtic ones a little bit narrower. The cover looks great! I'm curious though. Does your spare tire not fit under your cargo area anymore, even with the auxillary tank gone? That is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #1004
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That cargo cover looks awesome!
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #1005
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
Maybe you can find some plaxtic ones a little bit narrower. The cover looks great! I'm curious though. Does your spare tire not fit under your cargo area anymore, even with the auxillary tank gone? That is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer.
I have no way to mount it and dont much feel like crafting a solution at this juncture. Thats the simple answer, haha. Plus i dont trust my welding skills enough to support a 75 poound tire or however much it weighs.

i COULD go to a junk yard and find a crank system from like a toyota or something and easily fab something up, but thats another project for another day.

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.