Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #961
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I may try to move the rear lights more inboard closer to the hitch to offer more protection.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #962
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm gonna skip the front lights, I'll just return them for the measly 9.99 I spent on em.

I just ordered a set of H4 conversion lights. Like I said, this past summer I went through and installed some relays to take the load off my light switch and dimmer, and i've been looking at the H4's ever since then, on and off, so whatever, I spent the extra 30 bucks and ordered a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-H4-D...sories&vxp=mtr

Here's the link to my lighting relay thread if anybody is interested
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145293

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #963
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Busy little beaver... What about mounting the rear lights to the cross bar of the hitch? I had some Autozone ones mounted like that once.

Do the body lift NOW! It'll help you do all the gas tank stuff, with the added space. Plus, the fun of adjusting your bumpers to match, and then the space to mount your new rear lights differently.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #964
homer8613
1998 ZJ 

over the weekend i read all of this build. i hate you. your an *******. j/k i now am going to go put myself in massive debt. your waggy is awesome! i love it! i wish i didnt live in the salt belt
homer8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #965
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Busy little beaver...
Do the body lift NOW! It'll help you do all the gas tank stuff, with the added space. Plus, the fun of adjusting your bumpers to match, and then the space to mount your new rear lights differently.
^ I was just thinking this to myself. Would imagine that a body lift could create some space for you to work with.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #966
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly. Dont go 1'' you wont notice a difference go to 2'' please. It will give you gobs more room for the gas tank like they said. You can finally say you have a 70s waggy on 6'' lift.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #967
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Grumpy Homer should come up to Wyoming and buy that 80 waggy pictured on my thread for $500 or less. fly into Sheridan and drive it home.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #968
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Your plywood parts look great. You could have been a cairrage builder. I sometimes post my wacky suggestions for anyone who reads this thread, not just yourself. As for the front lights, I remember looking at a 68 wagoneer that had lights like that mounted above the front bumper just inside of the turn signals.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #969
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

dang it, you jerks have me thinking about a BL now.

I'm not sure what I'll need to change on the truck though.

1. steering? Is the column long enough?

2. Radiator? does it need to be moved or just the shroud?

3. Fuel tank. leave it where it is mounted and extend the body bracket or install spacers and LIFT the fuel tank providing better clearance?

4. Transmission linkage? should be long enough to add 2" of lift.

5. Bumpers? Do i have to move them, and if so how do i do that?

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #970
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll leave those technical questions to the FSJ guys.

To return to the topic of lighting, how much space do you have between the grille and the radiator? Ever consider putting some slimline round aux lights in there? Something about the same diameter as your headlights could look great. Would be a really easy way to keep that front end looking clean and still get that extra light power everyone seems to love. From my recollection of that grille design, mounting them further away from the center should still allow plenty of cool air into the radiator and plenty of light should escape the grille louvers to make it worth it.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #971
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
I'll leave those technical questions to the FSJ guys.

To return to the topic of lighting, how much space do you have between the grille and the radiator? Ever consider putting some slimline round aux lights in there? Something about the same diameter as your headlights could look great. Would be a really easy way to keep that front end looking clean and still get that extra light power everyone seems to love. From my recollection of that grille design, mounting them further away from the center should still allow plenty of cool air into the radiator and plenty of light should escape the grille louvers to make it worth it.
Yeah, i could do that if i could find something slim enough. The grill support is the same as the old gladiators, there is more than enough room for lights in there are they are DESIGNED to have 4 headlights, its just hidden behind the grille.

We'll see how the H4 conversion kit i ordered turns out, that should be a huge enough improvement over the crap-tastic 7" sealed beams.

Also, i just ordered a bunch of 1" body lift pucks.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #972
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
dang it, you jerks have me thinking about a BL now.

I'm not sure what I'll need to change on the truck though.

1. steering? Is the column long enough?

2. Radiator? does it need to be moved or just the shroud?

3. Fuel tank. leave it where it is mounted and extend the body bracket or install spacers and LIFT the fuel tank providing better clearance?

4. Transmission linkage? should be long enough to add 2" of lift.

5. Bumpers? Do i have to move them, and if so how do i do that?
Mine had a BL on it when I bought it, so I can't answer all those in detail, but...

1. Should be
2. shroud only, I think (I have electric fan, so...)
3. I would raise it for clearance, but for now, you can leave it.
4. Should be. will need adjusting, or now's a good time to install a cable linkage.
5. You make your own simple brackets to lift the bumpers. Or you don't worry about the gap. It's all a cosmetics thing. Also a good excuse to build new heavy duty bumpers!

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #973
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm going with a 1" Body lift.

So, only things i will have to do are

lower the shroud or radiator 1", adjust the shifter linkage and possibly raise front bumper.

I'll most likely leave the gas tank right where it is now that i think about it. I dont know why I was thinking it mounted to the body, all 3 mounts are on the frame.

1" will add some lift but also make it a lot easier to access some things on the truck (bell housing bolts, etc), which is good as well.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #974
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Yeah, i could do that if i could find something slim enough. The grill support is the same as the old gladiators, there is more than enough room for lights in there are they are DESIGNED to have 4 headlights, its just hidden behind the grille.

We'll see how the H4 conversion kit i ordered turns out, that should be a huge enough improvement over the crap-tastic 7" sealed beams.

Also, i just ordered a bunch of 1" body lift pucks.
I've read good and bad things about the H4's. Couple folks I know have them...both seem indifferent about them now after a year or so of running them. Personally, I have a hard time telling the difference at a glance. I do recall both guys being very impressed right after they installed them.

KC Slimlites should work. Consider them a contingency plan.

Unread 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #975
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
I've read good and bad things about the H4's. Couple folks I know have them...both seem indifferent about them now after a year or so of running them. Personally, I have a hard time telling the difference at a glance. I do recall both guys being very impressed right after they installed them.

KC Slimlites should work. Consider them a contingency plan.
Trust me, it'll be a vast improvement.

Maybe not so much on modern rigs where everything is wired correctly, but even now I'm still used to driving with my horrible old wiring system (the headlight switch would get burning hot, i could smell it if the lights were on for more than 15 minutes).

I wired in some relays to take the load off the switch and get the power alot closer to the headlights and that alone made a big difference. I'm sure adding the H4's will be wayyyyy better than the original 7" sealed beams before i did the relays.

Also, the cost was hardly anything. I paid 40 bucks shipped for the bulbs and housings. it's all plug and play seeing as i did the relays.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.