Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #931
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am going to wait for warmer weather before I fix floor boards and look at gas tanks. $200 doesn't sound too bad. If my tank is leaking, I'll probably try a patch one time. If that does not work, then I'll go for a different tank. Are you looking at using BJ's tank Marns?

73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #932
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Marn, great build. Have always held a soft spot for the FSJ's and I'm glad to see you giving this one some lovin'. One of these days when I can make some decent money again you'll see a J15 Honcho build with my name on it.

Found this on CL Cleveland and had to laugh, do you think this might be a little overpriced?:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/2754580917.html

Best of luck to you!

P.S. Don't mean to sound strange here but you look remarkably like my older brother. Rather uncanny...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #933
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Marn, great build. Have always held a soft spot for the FSJ's and I'm glad to see you giving this one some lovin'. One of these days when I can make some decent money again you'll see a J15 Honcho build with my name on it.

Found this on CL Cleveland and had to laugh, do you think this might be a little overpriced?:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/2754580917.html

Best of luck to you!

P.S. Don't mean to sound strange here but you look remarkably like my older brother. Rather uncanny...
I cant see the interior obviously but if its solid and clean i wouldnt be surprised if it fetched close to that price. I've seen 1991 final edition ones sell for about 8-9 grand that are clean but by no means perfect.

Thats also nothing compared to the wagonmoasters rigs, or the ones that are in "celebrity" condition that sell for 20-35k

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #934
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Back in 2000 or 2001 I had a customer that bought a 1987 Grand from the wagonmaster paid I believe 16 grand for it shipped to them. Thing was super clean but the rebuilt carb had a issue The Wagonmaster called me said make it right and let me know what you find. Turned out to be some dirt in the carb
and a very good cleaning took care of it got paid and he also though a few extra bucks in so I could take girlfriend out for a very nice dinner. I don't think I would ever pay what The Wagonmaster wants for his Grands but I have seen and worked on a few of them and they all been a solid 8-9 on a scale of 1-10.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #935
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

today shall be known as FSJ friday!

These were all donations from very kind FSJers to my cause.

got a set of NOS tail light lenses (holy hell, they're literally new!) a single NOS reverse lens (whish i had 2) and a lil set of jeep valve stem covers was an extra.

Also got an old fuel filler neck in perfect condition, so hopefully i can get my original fuel tank back in the truck very soon!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #936
73wag
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am going to wait for warmer weather before I fix floor boards and look at gas tanks. $200 doesn't sound too bad. If my tank is leaking, I'll probably try a patch one time. If that does not work, then I'll go for a different tank. Are you looking at using BJ's tank Marns?
Sorry this is getting a little off topic from your build Marn, but I had the mother of all leaking fuel tanks on my Wagoneer. To fix it, I used JB Weld on all of the bigger holes (there were some dime-sized ones), and then went to O'Rielly and got this red epoxy goop stuff that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, with the tank removed, I just cleaned it out with soap and hot water, then poured the goop in after it was dry, turned the tank over like a rotisserie to cover all of its inside, and let it set for a few days. The sealant was only about $20, and it's been leak-free for about 1600 miles now.

By the way, Marn, if you need someone to take your old taillight and reverse lenses off of your hands, I could definitely use them, as some jerk took a hammer to all of mine last summer
73wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #937
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73wag View Post
Sorry this is getting a little off topic from your build Marn, but I had the mother of all leaking fuel tanks on my Wagoneer. To fix it, I used JB Weld on all of the bigger holes (there were some dime-sized ones), and then went to O'Rielly and got this red epoxy goop stuff that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, with the tank removed, I just cleaned it out with soap and hot water, then poured the goop in after it was dry, turned the tank over like a rotisserie to cover all of its inside, and let it set for a few days. The sealant was only about $20, and it's been leak-free for about 1600 miles now.

By the way, Marn, if you need someone to take your old taillight and reverse lenses off of your hands, I could definitely use them, as some jerk took a hammer to all of mine last summer
gotcha covered, send me your info in a PM and I'll get em out to you.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #938
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, I've realized that as of late I've been spendiong WAY too much money on guns, ammo, and that kind of stuff, and also on the holidays and some travel.

Well, now that im sitting at home, and have had the waggy running well enough to be driving it a lot lately, as well as missing out on the nice J10 I tried to buy the other day, I've decided that its not right to neglect it any longer!

I've had a few projects I've wanted to take care of, so i'm diving in head first and gettin shiz done!

As with most projects, I was just going to do one thing, replace my gas tank with an original stock tank, and since the truck was going to be immobile in my garage for a week or three....the project list has just kinda grown from there. The projects on the docket are:

1. Install original coffin style gas tank, and get it plumbed/vented correctly.

2. Replace faded/dangerous tail lights/reverse lights

3. Cargo area cleanup

4. new rear interior panels

5. fix floppy rear view mirror

6. mount my old 700w/1400w power inverter

7. maybe build cargo area deck.

So, I went off to autozone, bought a new battery for my girlfriends 69 nova, installed it, drove it over to storage, picked up the waggy, did the "4 car shuffle" in the driveway/garage, and got the beast back in its old spot in the garage.....then dove in.

Lets get started shall we? Dunno if some folks may find some of this helpful or not, but I figure I'm bored so I'll keep a log!

Some of this was done out of order due to needing to clear certain areas first and whatnot, but I'll focus on specific projects. Lets look at the gas tank sitch, as thats most important.

My truck had an aux tank and the original tank, original tank was removed by PO, for a dumb reason but we wont go there, and the enter system was screwed up. no breather tube, it was impossible to get a full tank, guage read wrong all the time, tank was rusty inside, etc etc, so out it comes!

I discovered that 2 of the 3 mounts were still in tact, and the 3rd mount was attached to the tank, not the truck (somebody got chop happy).

Front mount:

Rear Mount:

Missing middle mount and a random eye-bolt that was drilled through the floor?:

breather tube is still there...

selector valve for the dual tank assembly, long since removed from the equation by me.

I started by test fitting the tank to figure out how it attaches everywhere.

Seemed like i had it figred out, clearance was fine on all parts of the tank. Time to address that chopped out bracket.

I brought home a lil lincoln welder from work this weekend to use. Now, i'm no welder, and this is literally my 3rd weld ever, so please dont laugh at it!

I prepped the bracket by cleaning it up with a grinder.

Then zapped it together real fast.

Its good and sturdy, just not pretty. If i grab it and try to jerk it around the bracket itself flexes below the weld. good enough for me.

Then I had to drop the old tank, which was bolted to the BODY of the cargo area with 3 REALLY long carriage bolts. the issue here was that i couldnt turn the nuts/washers on the bottom of the tank because the carriage bolts would just spin inside the truck, and i couldn't grip them.

Well, im smarter than a 40 year old truck, so out comes the welder!

Zap zap zap!

Unbolted everything, disconnected the lines, and started lowering the tank which had about 7 gallons in it. Looked like the truck was giving birth!

got the tank part way down and saw yet another example of how brilliant one of the many PO's was. (also, as a side note ALL the "added" wiring on this truck is the same color blue. You know how much fun it is sorting that out? Musta been a sale on blue wire at the hardware store in idiotsville where the truck used to reside)

Yes, thats an electrical-tapped ALIGATOR CLIP on the sending unit...and notice how theres no ground either. I wonder if that had anything to do with why my tank never read full, only 5/8ths and used to fluctuate all the time? Sigh.

Anyway, got the tank dropped with no issue.

and set up a high tech draining system.

I then removed the "fill" tubes from my PO....again, brilliant.

I've got an old filler neck but I dont think it'll work for a few reasons, and may have to use the plumbers special.

I'm going to have an exhaust shop bend a new filler extension for me, most likely. or maybe i'll just get some 2" hose and use that, who knows.

Then i cut the welds and knocked out the old carriage bolts. Now i have like 60 holes in my cargo area. Oh well, we can just call them "drains" for when i hose it out, right?

funny, this used to be a bottomless black hole that consumed any and all liquid that was put in it....now I can see light on the other side! Progress is being made. (oh metaphors and puns).

Thats as far as I am with the fuel tank. I'm waiting on a new lock ring, and some o rings from BJ's (still hasnt shipped ) to get this thing mounted up. I'll get the new filler extension bent and pick up some 2" and like 1/4" and 1/2" line for the connections and vent lines. That'll come later.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #939
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welol, while all of that was going on, I was working in the cargo area as well.

I started by clearing out all the crap I haul around (under sized spare tire, oldschool lift jack that doesnt fit anywhere on the truck, rendering the already useless tire even more useless, a tool box that weighs like 80 pounds when empty, a 30 dollar tool set from harborfrieght that i dont care if it gets stolen and has saved my butt more than once, a bunch of cardboard so i dont leak all over nature when wheeling in the desert, and a myriad of bottles of vehicular fluids that require constant topping off.

I got a good look at the condition of the rubber floor mat.

I unbolted the trim back there, took out whatever that random bracket on the left was (spare tire?) and took out about 12 other screws and bolts that went to nothing and pulled the rubber out. It was pretty much trashed as you can see

Now, even though its a desert/california truck, this was a little scary to do. A little moisture can do alot of damage after 40 years....i braced myself.

phew, not bad at all. I knew those holes on the right side existed, and knew it was a lil crunch over there. These are the only holes through the body, there is also a hole in the fender on the outside right there, guess this corner used to get more wet or something There are a few small holes, a few pinholes, and then a bunch of surface crap.

Other side had more surface rust than expected, but its not bad.

Up under the seat (read low point) wasnt too bad either.

After doing all the gas tank stuff, I went and hosed out the interior, and wiped it down with a cloth to get all the MUD out. Please note that desert vehicles that accumulate 40 years of dust become very muddy when they get wet inside.

better look at the rusty areas

The plan back here is simple. I'm gonna bed line it i na desert tank, then decide whether or not to put any carpet or rubber back in. I'm going to start tomorrow by wire wheeling the whole area and getting the rust down to nothing, then spraying on some "rust converter" or something, then I'll just go over the top of it. I'm not very worried about the structural integrity of it, its pretty dern solid.

I'm going to also make new side panels out of thin plywood, and bed line those as well, and bed line the wheel wells, and bed line under the seat area. Should make it nice and easy to clean up whenever I want to jsut hose it out, and clean it up alot back there aesthetically.

This is where I need some advice. Does anybody have a good brand of roll on bedliner? I've used herculiner, but it doesnt come in a tan, and the only other thing I know is gonna be Monstaliner. Suggestions?

Anyway, i continued on and removed the rear seat, and the plastic edging or whatever.

I also checked my inner corners...nasty and gross but no rust and its solid!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #940
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, all that out of the way, I wanted to start something I could actually finish.

A member here hooked me up with a set of NOS tail light lenses to replace my old faded ones. Not only were they faded, but they had this dark red tape inside them maybe to bring back the red....but all they served to do was make the already dim-arsed lights even harder to see....especially in the day.

the right side was the bad side...but the right side reverse lenses is better than the left?

old next to NOS.

I also figured that my light bulbs being half covered in dust and the inability of any of my chrome to "reflect" due to the same reason might also contribute to the less than stellar (ha, again, puns) brightness of my lights.

old on the right new on the left

old reverse lens next to the new.

got em all in...

If anybody has another set of reverse lenses that they are willing to sell, please contact me. I only had one NOS one, and need to replace the other side, or both of them with lenses in similar condition.

Thanks!

Oh look how pretty, its like christmas again!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #941
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, more to come in the next few days and weeks.

I still need to get the new tank permanently bolted in and plumbed.

I need to clean up and line the cargo area.

I need to use the old side panels as templates and cut out new ones, then line them as well.

I'll be getting the wire and whatnot to run my inverter in the back of the truck.

I havent looked at the mirror yet, haha.

Also, I learned a few things today.

1. The previous owners are bigger idiots than I originally anticipated.

2. desert vehicles are nowhere near as clean as people expect. My clothes have never been that dirty from working on a "dry" repair.

3. a mouth full of gasoline doesnt taste as bad as one may think.

4. There are (were) more hose clamps on my truck than any other part that you can think of.

this all just came from removing the gas tank.

That all being said, I've now got an FSJ compatible fuel tank for sale or trade or give away or something.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #942
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I Plan to pick up one of these tomorrow for the inverter. I sure hope 17' is long enough! I'll have to be thrifty with my routing options.

http://www.frys.com/product/5890943?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 01-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #943
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
I Plan to pick up one of these tomorrow for the inverter. I sure hope 17' is long enough! I'll have to be thrifty with my routing options.

http://www.frys.com/product/5890943?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
More blue wire! That is not going to help your situation.
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #944
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

You're scaring me away from cleaning out my cargo and rear seat area. Maybe I'll just paint the Gumbo or line the whole thing with duct tape. Just think of all of the dirt bikes held together with it for decades.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #945
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Set up a little shield to keep the upcoming dust and debris out of the main part of the cab.

Spent some time with a wire wheel and a grinder, got all the rust ground down.

then hit it with prep all to clean it down, and then sprayed it with some rust converter stuff. I dunno if it actually works, but I've used it in the past on bumpers and stuff back in NH and it never rusted anymore than it was already, so, might as well, right?

Spray spray spray!

Then as I was laying around on my creeper under the jeep, hiding from my woman even though I was done, the gaping holes started to bother me seeing all the light coming down through the floor, so I came up with a bad idea.

I grabbed the welder and filed the holes with just the wire....meh, not the best way to do it but it'll work. I then ground everything down and smoothed it out a "bit" but dont really care too much since there will be some good thick bed liner going down in there.

Anyway, thats where i got tonight, i didnt get to work on it all day because we had prior engagements.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.