Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #901
Subaruski

Oh did you sell your .45 airlite yet?

Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #902
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruski View Post
I hope I get to play with this next time I'm back in town
Any time brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruski View Post
Oh did you sell your .45 airlite yet?
No. some fool offered me $675, i said 700, he said no, 675.

then he offered me 620?

then he offered 620 like 5 more times.

then he said how about more than 620, less than 700, then before i could even respond with a "no" he offered 620 again. I told him to stop PMing me.

I'd rather keep it than sell it for too cheap, its not like i'm in dire need of the cash ya know? Just wanted to lessen the blow of the new 1911.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #903
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, people shouldn't try to buy guns when they are tweeked out on Meth. They just can't keep track of the negotiations. It makes the bargaining no fun at all.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #904
73wag
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Holy smokes Marn. I've spent the last couple days reading through all 900+ posts of this thread, and I am immensely impressed. Your Wagoneer is incredible, and you've inspired me to restore and build my 1973 that's been sitting in storage for a month now.

Although my project probably won't get off the ground until I graduate from college in 2.5 more years, I'm already planning out a full frame-off restoration with 6" of lift, rebuilt engine, 33" Mud-Terrains, and a fully rewired and refurbished rig. I'll be following this thread for as long as it lasts, as every post is getting me more and more excited to get working on mine!!

Keep up the great work!
73wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #905
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad its providing some motivation. I tend to lose sight of it myself when I realize how much cahs i have POURED into this POS truck.

I've arrived at an impasse however. My brakes suck.

I have some options, but have no idea which direction to go:

1. Easiest and clean....drop 650 bucks and do a front disc conversion on my Dana30. However, this is polishing a turd.

2. Hydroboost. Cheapest option. In my opinion, it's fairly ghetto to jerry rig a hydroboost system from a different vehicle to run off of my power steering pump, but this will provide great results apparently. I feel like it adds another failure point though. However, I'm not sure that it will work on my 4-drum system. Cost would be something like $300 bucks.

3. Axle swap. I could get a set of matching axles from whatever (j-truck, cherokee, etc up to the late 70's), that has a front D44 with discs, and have the perches re-welded if they were wide track axles. Or i can try to find one single front D44 with 5 lugs that matches my gear ratio and has discs....

4. Junk yard or new parts conversion to discs from a bunch of old chevy parts. Involves grinding down the knuckles and stuff though, and a TON of part hunting.

Sigh, I dont know which way to go.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #906
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This should be a no brainer! Find a pair of 3/4 or 1 ton axles rebuild the brakes and swap them in. You're leaf sprung up front right? Shorten your driveshafts and be done! Easy as pie! Haha
jeepdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #907
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

ha, you wanna come do all the work, and find all the parts?

Quote:

Unread 01-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #908
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

On the IFSJA forum, they suggest trying different pads with different results. I have recently posted pictures of a local 80 Wagoneer for sale dirt cheap in my area, discs on the front. The diff ratio is 3:31. I am told the swap between these two years, 73 and 80 is a little more complicated. Something about a passenger side drop and I don't really understand what that means. A big boat anchor with a log chain would be inexpensive. If your floor boards are like mine, you could just put a trap door on the passenger side, put the anchor in the seat, and drop it out when you need that extra stopping power.
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #909
SuperMud

Yea that passenger drops a *****
SuperMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #910
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
On the IFSJA forum, they suggest trying different pads with different results. I have recently posted pictures of a local 80 Wagoneer for sale dirt cheap in my area, discs on the front. The diff ratio is 3:31. I am told the swap between these two years, 73 and 80 is a little more complicated. Something about a passenger side drop and I don't really understand what that means. A big boat anchor with a log chain would be inexpensive. If your floor boards are like mine, you could just put a trap door on the passenger side, put the anchor in the seat, and drop it out when you need that extra stopping power.
Passenger drop means that the differential/driveshaft/output side of the transfer case are on the passenger side of the truck.

Our 73's are passenger drop. The front diff is on the passenger side, and so is the rear dif. This comes into play with how much of a swap you want to do.

You need passenger drop axles if you want them to bolt in (includes moving the spring perches). If you get a driver drop (driver side differential) front axle, you'll need to swap transfer cases to something that sends the drive shaft up under the drivers side. This also involves oil pan and exhaust clearance.

So, unless you wanna do a big ole drivetrain swap, you'll need to find an older wag with passenger side differentials.

Quote:

Unread 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #911
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What Marn says... Also, 79 was the last year for passenger drop.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #912
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sorry Marn, guess the 80 won't fix your problem. you didn't like my anchor idea?
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #913
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

haha, i dont have enough room for an anchor and chain when i've got 7 people in the wag.

Quote:

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #914
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

tie a rope to 6 of their ankles, and kick the first one out the passenger door?

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #915
SuperMud

Is ur d30 closed knuckle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
tie a rope to 6 of their ankles, and kick the first one out the passenger door?
haha or get a drag racing parachute
SuperMud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.