Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #76
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Jeep is still down for the count, gonna try to drill out and tap the manifold tonight. if I fail....I'll be selling it.
Sell it to me...I'll drill it out and then helicoil it.

It isn't like you're talking about a manifold bolt or something...Or you could try starting with a small drill bit and stepping it up one size at a time until you can just pretty much scrape out the left overs...then chase the threads with a tap and clean them up.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #77
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep is still down for the count, gonna try to drill out and tap the manifold tonight. if I fail....I'll be selling it.
Sell it to me...I'll drill it out and then helicoil it.

Or you could try starting with a small drill bit and stepping it up one size at a time until you can just pretty much scrape out the left overs...then chase the threads with a tap and clean them up.

I wouldn't hesitate to helicoil this either since it isn't a crazy torque on the bolt...I wouldn't helicoil a bolt holding the heads on.

Quote:
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #78
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I just tapped it one size larger. From 5/16ths to 3/8ths.

The offending bolt:

First time I've ever tapped anything...scary...but...TADA!

It threads all the way in to the bottom of the cut I made with just my fingers, nice and smooth. I just made sure to take my time, every step forward I took, I took a step back, and just went slooooow.

I just need to bore out the hole in the housing so i can fit the new fatter bolt through it...and pick up a replacement for the other bolt...i dont trust those old ones anymore, haha.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #79
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, before I busted off that bolt, i took it shooting...

and installed a CB...

and installed some gauges (this is why I broke that damn T-stat bolt...temp guage)

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #80
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good job, you tapped it correctly if you kept backing it out to clean the threads...

Otherwise the shavings can muck up your fresh threads before you even get a bolt in there.

Quote:
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #81
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good Marn, glad to see you got it! Now you have to drill and tap the other side to match!
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #82
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Looks good Marn, glad to see you got it! Now you have to drill and tap the other side to match!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #83
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

mmm
looks nice.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #84
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You got a nice CB in there, Marn. I have the same one in my Jeep. The PA function is fun

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #85
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It lives!!!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled Build Thread.

Next step: Get it smogged (fingers crossed) and registered (this coming week)

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #86
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
It lives!!!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled Build Thread.

Next step: Get it smogged (fingers crossed) and registered (this coming week)
Good to hear... I think you had a typical Jeep moment... But we all knew you wouldnt get rid of it.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #87
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Update:

Been fiddling with the carb. It failed emissions badly, so I'm working on that and learning. Hooked up my PCV valve, turned down the idle, leaned out the mixture, blah blah blah.

There are so many little things this truck needs, weather stripping, window channels, door locks...that kinda stuff. All in good time I suppose. I've got a rattling or knocking sound coming from the motor though, so thats taking priority. She runs fine, and it seems to be a rather intermittent noise, so...hopefully I can figure it out.

Anyway, here are a few more pics:

Antenna

Installed a new Pro-Flow that my buddy had sitting in his garage (yes, its backwards)

And, picked up a crapy automotive multimeter for super cheap...it'll get the job done.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 07-11-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #88
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

looking good, keep it up! I love this build
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #89
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You know Marn, you should just find some old geezers or old time guys that know carbs pretty well. Anyone that used to be a mechanic would be a good person to ask about a carb. I know my Dad was a diesel mechanic, but still knows his way around a carb a little bit. Ask them to help you out a little bit or show you some of the stuff. Learn how it works.

If you ever find yourself a couple hours down the I-15 let me know, and depending where you're at we can work something out.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #90
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go to Barnes and Noble and buy a book on the carburetor thats in the Jeep. I did that for the Quadrajet on my truck.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.