Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #796
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Throw $120 bucks for a 2in body lift and call it good. You know you want too.
I do want to, but on an older model, like mine, i have to cut a bunch of holes in the floor to access the body bolts that are broken free from the sheet metal, tack them back on, and weld the holes shut. although i do have a welder and this would be a great way to practice, i dont feel like taking a week to install a body lift, haha.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #797
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So...update....sorry its woreded funny, I just copy pasted from IFSJA. I'm still having problems...

After my big trip up north, I kinda took a hiatus from the heep because of the problems I was having with it. Now that the weather is cooling down, I've been tinkering a bit.

I had discovered that my truck was driving mostly fine, but eventually it would start running rough, then die, and act like it was flooded or vapor locked. I could get it started by waiting a few minutes with my foot on the gas pedal, then crank it with wide open throttle, then it would fire up and puke out some smoke, run like crap for about 3 seconds, then appear normal.

I found out my fuel filter failed, and there was a ton of sediment in the carb, stuck in the needles and whatnot. I repaced the filter, added 1 back by the tank, and then broke down the whole carb and cleaned it out (basically a rebuild, but no new parts).

It starts and idles just fine, warms up just fine, and I thought my issue was fixed. I took it around the block a few times which was more than it would do before, and today drove it to walmart. Well, about half way home on this super long 5 mile round trip, it started acting up. It would hesistate, and run like crap, sounded real bad, but would mostly behave if i played with the throttle. Then as i was pulling into my driveway, it shut down.

Same process to start it up and i got it into the garage. I popped the hood, pulled the air cleaner, and i could hear something bubbling. Also, a few drops of liquid dripped from some of the linkage on the carb. Cant tell if its water or gas, smells like gas but instantly evaporates when it hits the plate for the old choke tubes.

Then i open the throttle by hand and hear something sizzling kind of, or steaming, and a bunch of white vapor comes out the top of the carb.

This video shows the complete process, it dies and the vapor comes out. For some reason the sound goes out so you cant hear it die, but it still shows the vapor when i open the throttle.

http://youtu.be/nclEX7qw6XQ

this is where the liquid drips from, and lands on the little cast iron plate where the choke heat tubes came out of the intake, you can see the wet spot on the left. it drips from the linkage on the left (for the secondaries, i believe).

I can let it idle for days and it's fine, doesnt have a hiccup. Runs nice and super smooth, no noise, pulls super smooth/consistent 18" Vacuum when idling after being warmed up and taken around the block a few times. The engine isnt getting anywhere near running hot, it stays at about 185 under highway driving conditions, and it takes a while to even get past 165 if just putting around the streets. It hasnt even touched 200 this summer I don't think, so this doesnt seem like a normal case of vapor lock.

Question 1. What is that? Is it flooding, or vapor locking?

When up in Ely, I got crappy mountain gas. 85 octane, and PROBABLY cut with ethanol, but i have no way to confirm this. Could this be causing an issue? I hear our engines hate that gas, and i hear ethanol gas can vapor lock at lower temperatures.

Is it possible that there was water in the gas? I'm told this is always a real possibility. I put some of the suspect gas (from jerry cans i filled in ely) into glasses to see if any water settles out of it.

I have 1 jerry can of good las vegas gas, and 1 can of bad ely gas, but I'm not sure which is which. One is 87 one is 85 possibly with some ethanol.

Here is the gas:

The gas on the right is clearly "hazy" almost a ghostly blue hue to it, the gas on the left is perfectly clear.

This is the same as above. The yellower gas is the "hazy" gas.

Even in the jerry cans you can tell....hazy blueish hue to the gas on the left, clear gas on the right.

Question 2: Is this abnormal? Which of these gasolines appears "normal"

I have maybe 7 or 6 gallons of bad gas in my tank i believe. I added 3 gallons of 91 octane but didnt get any more today because the pump was being a PITA.

Any help would be appreciated. My 2 biggest questions are above.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #798
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Man, you just can't catch a break can you?

If you're worried about water in the gas, you could just add some Heet to the gas. I don't think there are any adverse effects, if it's added to good gas.

Really, if you have another (newer) vehicle, I'd just take all the suspect gas and throw it in that. It could probably handle low grade ethanol better.

Maybe your girlfriend's car, or your Magnum (if you still have it) would be a good candidate.

Or just dump all the bad gas in a can, and keep it for the lawnmower...

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #799
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Man, you just can't catch a break can you?

If you're worried about water in the gas, you could just add some Heet to the gas. I don't think there are any adverse effects, if it's added to good gas.

Really, if you have another (newer) vehicle, I'd just take all the suspect gas and throw it in that. It could probably handle low grade ethanol better.

Maybe your girlfriend's car, or your Magnum (if you still have it) would be a good candidate.

Or just dump all the bad gas in a can, and keep it for the lawnmower...
I'm not sure if it is the gas, but at this point theres not much else it could be. I can take the carb down again and see whats up.

Other than that, i may just siphon out the gas and fill it with good stuff.

Quote:

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #800
2006LJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Marn, just found this video on youtube for testing for ethanol in gasoline

2006LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #801
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I did my own lil' test.

50% gas, add 50% water. if it settles to be 60% "water" and 40% "gas" then the ethanol mixed with the water and separated from the guzzoline....which happened when i tested both of my jerry cans. However, i find it strange that i had that crazy blue hue in the Ely gas.

That being said, this whole thing KILLS me and PISSES ME OFF to no end, because if i go out to the jeep, after letting it sit for 2 weeks, press the gas pedal to set the choke, turn the key for about HALF a second and let go, it ROARS to life and idles perfectly. PERFECTLY. Tap the gas to knock it down to about 800rpm in park, and it purrs like a kitten. Never has it run this quiet or smooth since the engine swap (I had finally gotten everything dialed in before taking it on the roadtrip....), and it'll idle like that for as long as i've let it, and drive perfectly fine for a few minutes....but then the **** hits the fan and it craps out.

runs perfect, then something happens.

However, when running the exhaust smells weird. I dont know how to explain it, but it smells funky. Not just rich or something, it smells strange, its really bad smelling. sweeter or something.

I dont know what else to blame at this point than the gas. this weekend I'll be draining the tank hopefully, and getting it filled with some nice fresh Shell 89 octane from down here in the valley.

Quote:

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #802
2006LJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hopefully the gas fixes the problem Marn!
2006LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #803
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Aite.....

So i drained all the gas out of my tank, using a highly sophisticated method....

I drained out about 7.5 gallons, down to the last drop. 3 of that was good gas that I added here in vegas. Perhaps the 3 gallons of good gas mixed with the 5 of bad was why it took so long to act up last time I drove it? (I drove a few miles in traffic and was pulling into my neighborhood when it started to die).

I cleared out as much of the gas lines as I could as well. Then i filled it with 5 gallons of Las Vegas 89 octane. Fired it up, and it idled like normal. I let it sit in the garage and idle until it got to operating temperature, then let it sit a while longer. Then i did 6 laps around the block, with a few minutes of letting it idle in between every other lap (2 laps, let it sit, 2 laps, let it sit) and all seemed fine.

The exhaust under load seems to have returned to the familiar old smell, not the "weird" smell I mentioned before. When i put my hand at the tail pipe, the flow is smooth and constant, its not missing at all, and my hand doesnt smell like gas when i remove it from the tail pipe.

So, I pulled a few plugs and this is what I found:

(i had wiped the soot off the top of the prong with my finger). Holy canoli...those plugs are only 2 months old!!!! Talk about fouling! Would this be because of the apparent flooding? Just getting WAY too much gas to burn?

Also, do I have to replace the fouled plugs, or can they just be cleaned? If so, how does one clean them?

P.S. My gas tank is 25"x26"x8"....which would be 5200 cu.in.....which wuld be about 22 gallons I guess? I thought I had a 17 gallon tank this whole time. Apparently when it's on the "empty" tick on the gas gauge it has a few gallons left, and it can get it near 100% empty.

Quote:

Unread 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #804
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I then let it sit for 20 minutes, fired it up, took it around the block 2 more times, the fat old guy on the corner yelled "HURBLA HURR!!!" as I drove by (I assume it was "SLOW DOWN!") at like 25mph....so....he can shove it.

Anyway, the jeep started up fine ran and idled fine after having been shut down for 20 minutes...It seems fine?

Further road tests will follow, during the week, but the results are promising.

I'll be going to harbor freight to get a pneumatic spark plug cleaner.

Quote:

Unread 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #805
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

fun fun fun!

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #806
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
"HURBLA HURR!!!"

I'm sure you can use an acid brush and isopropyl alcohol to clean your plugs.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #807
JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Those speakers look like 6x9s
JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #808
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post

I'm sure you can use an acid brush and isopropyl alcohol to clean your plugs.
Well, it sounded like hurbla hurr but I believe it was "slow down"

I picked up a pneumatic spark plug cleaner from HF, we'll see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JekL View Post
Those speakers look like 6x9s
Thank you for reading the first three posts, haha. It was a 5x7 and was replaced.

Quote:

Unread 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #809
2006LJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How'd the plugs turn out Marn?
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #810
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

havent touched it, been way too busy. leave the house before 7 most days and get back around 6pm. Tired of these 10-11 hour days.

I've got a hankering to take it out this weekend, but have no real destination. Maybe i should take it to shoot the new .357.....

Quote:

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.