Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #766
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I spent some time out there actually, and loved it. I took a 6 week geology field study through UNR, and we had a field station in Ruth. We camped at Kodachrome Basin near Bryce Canyon, Notch Peak in Utah, and a bunch of other places along highway 50. You're not kidding about there being NOTHING for miles. I really would like to go back there someday.

74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #767
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, interesting things going on. This is the first time I've tried to drive the truck since my roadtrip with all the issues (other than moving it from driveway to garage last weekend).

I start the truck, mostly starts up fine, then it'll idle mostly fine (mostly fine as in normal), then i tried to drive it out of the driveway and it bogged down, thought it was just idling too low when cold, and it sputtered really bad, then shut down in front of my driveway.

cranked and cranked, it wouldnt fire up. Held the gas pedal down for wide open throttle to get as much air in as possible, and it fired up after cranking for a few seconds, ran like crap with my foot to the floor, blew out a TON on smoke, then seemed mostly fine again.

Drove it 300 feet and stopped for a second, hopped out, then it started to sputter and choke and run real rough, then shut itself down again.

Repeat the above starting procedure, less smoke this time, drove it back to my driveway and went about my errands in one of the other cars.

Came back after several hours, started it up, ran mostly fine for a few seconds but was idling low, then it started sputtering, died out. I pulled the air cleaner and it looked like the carb was wet inside, and i could hear something trickling, sounded like fuel flowing down into the intake? Opening the throttle resulted in a very minor puff of smoke, very minor.

Started it up again with my foot on the throttle, same exact thing. i could KINDA keep it running by opening the throttle by hand, but it eventually sputtered out and died again, and i could hear it trickling.

Carb is an Edelbrock 1406, almost brand new. Does it sound like something is stuck open or allowing way too much gas into the intake or something?

I havent gotten any new gas since the trip, so it still has 85 octane mountain gas in it, but i doubt that would cause this to happen.

Do i need to pull the carb and dive into it to see if a float is stuck or something?

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #768
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

It sounds like fuel management to me, stuck float or something. Did you blue loctite the jets when you installed it? I had a jet vibrate itself loose on my dirtbike once and was dumping huge amounts of fuel into the intake manifold.

I'd check the plugs too. They're supposed to be paper bag brown. If they're dark atleast you know it's a fuel issue.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #769
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on stuck float or ???.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #770
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

X3 on stuck float. On my Streetrod I have an Edlebrock carb like you, a few yrs ago I had the same problem only I kept flooding it trying to start it, a mechanic friend brought me new plugs and then we tried starting it, as I turned it over he tapped on the carb body with a screwdriver handle, he was figuring a stuck needle valve, to shorten the story after a few taps it purred like a cat and has been fine ever since. I hope you can use the info I just relayed to you and good luck.
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #771
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks, I'm gonna leave it bolted to the truck and just open up the carb whenever i get some time. A few other folks suggested a stuck float, or perhaps a float has a hole and is not floating.

And no, i didnt locktite the jets, i never even opened up this carb, thats a good idea though, i was thinking maybe a jet came loose or something.

Funny though, the carb is brand new, should be clean, but i suppose this stuff can just happen.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #772
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, this ethanol gas plays hell on fuel systems, destroys rubber fuel lines over time, causes a thing called white rust, just like regular rust but a whitish powder and eats metal as regular rust does. I hope that's can be of some help to you, trust me it can get frustrating but as always a level head usually prevails. Good luck.
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #773
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I started the truck up fine this morning, it ran and ran and ran, nice and smooth, not missing or anything. I let it get up to temp and was revving it and it showed NO signs of any issues.

Then i took it around the block and it started doing the stuff as listed above right when i got back to my driveway, and it stalled out in my garage. I opened the throttle under the hood, and white vapor was coming out, slowly.

So I pulled the airhorn, fiddled with the floats and noticed one of the needles wasnt falling freely when the float was in the down position...pulled it and noticed a few specs of sediment on it or something, figured that was strange...

I set down the airhorn and looked into the body of the carb, and was kinda surprised to see this in the bowls:

Uh, what the hell? Where did all that come from! I have a fuel filter less than 2' from the carb.

I pulled the needles and seats and found sediment in the top of the seat...

Pulled the little filters on the top of the seats...

holy crap! How did so much stuff get through?

there's even crap inside my fuel filter.

The filter was either not catching anything, or it was coming from the line after the filter...or it was already inside my brand new carb. It looks like rust or something? But i dont know how it would get from the tank into the carb with a filter....

Anyway, i took it all the way down and cleaned it. cleaned all the passages, venturies, etc. There was a buncha the sediment in the secondaries, i dont know why there was more back there but still.

I'm not sure if this could have caused or been a leading cause of the issues above...but its definitely strange and not good.

Whats next? Get some good gas into it, do new rubber fuel lines (from pump to carb), new fuel filter, and see what happens? I'm working on getting the parts to put the OEM gas tank back in.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 10-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #774
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, all that crud in the carb is typical of what ethanol gas does to fuel systems, most likely it's from your fuel line. It also causes what is called "white rust". White rust looks white and is crusty like rust. When I had my Streetrod NSRA inspected the guys inspecting it asked how much rubber fuel line I had in it, they then told me ethanol rots the fuel line from the inside out. Try putting a fuel filter as close to the carb as possible. Good luck and I'll be following this thread.

Unread 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #775
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsstoudt View Post
Hi, all that crud in the carb is typical of what ethanol gas does to fuel systems, most likely it's from your fuel line. It also causes what is called "white rust". White rust looks white and is crusty like rust. When I had my Streetrod NSRA inspected the guys inspecting it asked how much rubber fuel line I had in it, they then told me ethanol rots the fuel line from the inside out. Try putting a fuel filter as close to the carb as possible. Good luck and I'll be following this thread.

Yeah, I plan on picking up new fuel lines, but that looks like rust to me, from the tank, not really like deteriorated lines.

Immediate plans are to put a filter down by the tank, and to put a new filter (not a POS glass one that apparently wasnt filtering) as close to the carb as possible.

Perhaps the wonderful mountain gas broke loose a bunch of crap in the gas tank. This could also explain why it wasnt getting any gas to the carb when on an incline, if some of the fuel pickups in the tank are clogged, i'd imagine that could do it.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #776
YOJIK
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect excuse to start your gas tank replacement project...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yojiks-2006-tj-build-thread-1158011/"]My Build Thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/official-las-vegas-southern-nevada-wheelin-thread-1104394/"]Las Vegas Southern Nevada Thread[/URL]
YOJIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #777
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, not even an excuse so much as a requirement.

SOMETHING knocked a ton of crud loose in my gas tank, and i made the mistake of putting a crap tastic broken filter on it, which filled my carb with all sorts of rusty bits.

I'll be putting on the new filters this weekend, maybe, but im worried about the fuel pickups in the tank being all clogged too. Maybe i ought to drop it...

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #778
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

drop it, like its hot.

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #779
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I just read this rusty carb part of the thread. Before I got to your pics I was going to tell you to pull the top and give you a clue to what you would see. I nailed it. I pull mine and clean it any time it sits for a while. I attribute this to a rusty tank.

Looks like you solved the issue. Now replace the tank, even though I haven't.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #780
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

time for a fuel cell

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.