Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #751
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
If you go the tape route then roll the first layer sticky side up then go back over it with sticky side down. This will give you the option of just cutting the tape in one spot and it will all but fall off. No sticky residue left behind.

I would grab a pencil box from the school supply section at yourr local retail store. Cut a hole for the line and load wires to pass through then seal it. If you need to work/replace either relay then lift cover to the box and you have access to them.

If you plan to add more relays down the road then consider a small ammo can so you can house them all in one place. Cut a vent hole in whatever side you make the top and use window screen to help keep major moisture out as well as excess heat.

P.S. I haven't read back through the thread lately and these suggestions are simply a reply to the last few posts. So if this has been covered just ignore mine.

good calls, i'll look into something before my road trip this weekend. Planning a 500 mile round trip camping excursion...we'll see what happens.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #752
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the carb, its lookin good! Yes you would be amazed at what a proper carb job can do to an old beast even in this day and age of emissions. In 1996 I made a 1970 Chevy 396 pass Utah emissions with no cat and a bunch of tuning knowledge.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #753
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So essentialy what you are doing is running the headlights directly off of the battery and letting your dashboard light switch only run the relay?
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #754
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
So essentialy what you are doing is running the headlights directly off of the battery and letting your dashboard light switch only run the relay?
Yes, this is exactly what I did. If you are not familiar with the idiotic wiring installed by AMC (they used duct tape to cover the factory splices...d'oh) the full current ran through the light switch, causing alot of strain. Not only does it relieve the strain from the switch, but it also provides a far more direct route for the current to hit the headlights, and adds a fuse on the way. The result is safer wiring, and brighter headlights.

The other big issue with our older rigs is the Ammeter in the dash. Sure, having a amp reading is helpful, to know the condition of the charging system, but it's bad in our case. They ran ALL the juice from the alternator into the "big splice" at the firewall, and into the cab behind the dash. ALL the juice then goes through the ammeter in the gauge cluster, out the other side of the ammeter, then BACK into the engine compartment, over to the battery/starter solenoid.

The ammeter is a major point of failue, many people bypass it, many people move both connectors on the back over to 1 post, to provide a connection that doesnt rely on the internals of the ammeter, and at the very least, most people pull the dash and clean the connections on it back to 100% (which is what I did, i like seeing the drain on my battery, or if my battery is taking a charge).

That is something I'd look into on your rig, if you havent already.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #755
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

That being said.....

Okay, now, i know it's far from perfect, but I was under the hood looking at it today, and was not satisfied with location and the open connections.

I remove the relays, ripped out all my crimps, and started fresh.

I used new female connectors for 4 out of the 8 connections, I used them on the wires from the switch and to the light. I used insulated ones just to keep the chance of anything touching anything else down. I will probably add heatshrink at the very least to the other 4 connections (power and ground).

I lengthened ALL the splices I made, and ran up on top of the fender well. I redid ALL the heat shrink from yesterday, and made it cover the whole crimp coupler and whatnot. I was running out last night and trying to be frugal, so i just bought some more today and redid it.

I had a spare project box sitting around, and chopped one side of it up to make room for all the connectors, then mounted the relays and grounds through the base plate onto the fender well.

Then i used screws up from under the fender to mount the plastic top of the box down to the base plate.

Here it is in progress, with the horn out of the way

I put all the wires down to the OEM harness inside a little piece of spit loom, and reinstalled the horns. This is the final product:

This is a TON cleaner, and makes me worry WAY less about some random piece of junk getting in there and connecting any posts on the relays. I will most likely apply a bead of silicon to the box/base plate junction, and apply some di-electric grease or silicon to the whole area where the wires enter the box, but this should keep it safe from minor weather and definitely from debris. I'm much happier with this setup than the previous, and plus, it matches all my wiring for the duraspark box and ignition stuff that i had to rig up.

Unread 09-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #756
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Check out this post over on the CJ forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...-cable-558678/

JeepHammer is somewhat of a sage on the CJ site. I've done this "upgrade" on my CJ, to include using 0/4 welding cable for the battery cables. Can't tell you how much of a difference it made! The Jeep runs sooo much better.

I ran dedicated grounds from my alt, dist, choke and starter. Still need to do the lights (to include installing the relays as you did). Bet your lights will get even brighter if you run the grounds back to the battery as opposed to the body.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #757
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
Check out this post over on the CJ forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...-cable-558678/

JeepHammer is somewhat of a sage on the CJ site. I've done this "upgrade" on my CJ, to include using 0/4 welding cable for the battery cables. Can't tell you how much of a difference it made! The Jeep runs sooo much better.

I ran dedicated grounds from my alt, dist, choke and starter. Still need to do the lights (to include installing the relays as you did). Bet your lights will get even brighter if you run the grounds back to the battery as opposed to the body.

Nice! thanks for the info! I've been slowly going through the electrical system (as you'd see from reading) and eliminating unnecessary items as well as beefing some of the existing stuff.

Definitely a good resource, and I'll look into that as time moves on.

Unread 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #758
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

WELLLLLLLLL

This was an experience for sure....but I made it back alive, despite the jeeps best efforts to see otherwise.

1. As I started leaving the Las Vegas Valley on Saturday, it was 105 degrees out and the truck was surging and spitting gas all out the gas cap and the breather tube in the fender. After drivin a bit more and deciding to "chance" it I pulled the gas cap, and this alleviated all the issues for the next 225 miles until I reached my destination. No surging, no spewing.

This happens in the heat, so whatever,I'm working on getting the original gas tank back in the truck, so hopefully that will help.

2. So, the 2nd day of the trip I was in Ely, NV, at about 6500 feet elevation. Truck had no balls but was driving fine, until I was in the middle of the desert, going up a slight incline, and it bogged down then died. Started and fan foe a few seconds and died again. I backed it down a hill and started my investigations on level ground. Carb was getting no fuel, lines and filters above the fuel pump were bone dry. I ended up putting on a glass filter so I could see it...I primed it by hand, soon as it fired i reconnected the lines and told my girl to give it some gas, and the fuel pump apparently did its job, getting gas to the carb.

This happened again today, on our way out of town. Had over a half a tank of gas, albeit an aftermarket tank mounted where the spare goes. I've been way more off camber in the past and never witnessed this.

Ideas?

3. I climbed up to leave the town, headed up a pass of about 7300' and as soon as we crested it and I started going down hill OFF the gas, my truck started running like crapola, it was making awful noises from the exhaust, and smelled like gunpowder or something, i shifted it into neutral and it shut off. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, popped the hood, and the carb (edelbrock 1406) was dripping gas out of the linkage for the secondaries. What the heck? Pulled the air cleaner and moved the throttle linkage...white vapor came out, and I could hear it sizzling or something.

It was about 60 degrees and cloudy, and the truck was running at 190 degrees, and I could grab the fuel lines and glass filter without being burnt. I had to let it sit a while, I figured for some reason it was flooded? After letting it sit a while, I held the throttle open and cranked it for 15 seconds, it fired up reluctantly supttered, i gave it a crap ton of gas to clear out the pipes, then once it warmed up it seemed normal?

I drove 150 miles without stopping, but the throttle would hesitate and give a little surge if i let off, then applied throttle again. Pulled into a gas station after 150 miles, and it shut off before i could come to a stop. White vapor poured out of the air cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, turned up my idle a little, held down the gas, blew out the pipes, and it fired up again running like crap, then eventually settling down. This was at about 3300'

I bombed it the last 100 miles to vegas, going about 70, and was nervous as hell about getting off the freeway. But guess what? Pull up to the stop in neutral, keeping the RPM's up...then gently let off the gas, and it idled fine at 1000 in neutral. Then from the highway home it drove 100% normal...about 2200' elevation

What gives? Is it possible that the elevation (even 1100' gain?) was messing with me that bad? It didnt do any of that crap on the way up. I figured maybe the flooding at 7300' happened because its running way rich up there to begin with, but if i let off the gas and was engine braking, maybe it was just dumping too much fuel into the intake?

But that doesnt explain my stupid up hill fuel issues...I plan to pull the tank and fuel lines to check into that though.

Unread 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #759
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just figured I'd post up.

Regardless of the jeep issues I had a pretty good time, I love going out to northern nevada, it's an area alot of people dont see. It honestly made me sick when i came around the turn on the I-15 and could see Las Vegas. I wanted to turn my broken-arsed jeep around and head back to the mtns.

I cant wait to get out of this city...but I digress. Enjoy.

There was alot of this....just miles and miles of nothing, but it's so beautiful at the same time.

View from Ward Charcoal Ovens State Park

The ovens:

Again, alot of this:

Old mining outfit just outside of the city, kinda deep into the hills but a well known location. This is where I broke down the first time due to the carb running dry somehow.

Officially have taken it camping now. Crazy that it took a year of ownership to use it for the purpose I purchased it.

Anyway, all trouble aside, it was a good trip. I was an 'experience' thats for sure. I've never actually broken down anywhere before, so it was a first for me...and then a second...and then a third, and then a fourth, haha.

Unread 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #760
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Looks fun Marn

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #761
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

You are never officialy broken down or stuck until someone has to tow you out. Those were mechanical delays and strategy building experiences.
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #762
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

id call it "war games"

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #763
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
You are never officialy broken down or stuck until someone has to tow you out. Those were mechanical delays and strategy building experiences.

I like the way you think. Well, if they were trials, I suppose I passed.

In the end, the jeep got me back home, and not really any worse for the wear it seems.

Unread 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #764
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

How many paperback books or cartons of extra batteries does your girlfriend bring on your off-road trips? If it is not more than three of either catagory, then your Jeep is in excellent condition. I've been told that girlfriends and wives of Jeep owners can't read, but I don't believe that. everyone makes it through first grade -- eventually -- even my family did. Then again, none of them own Jeeps but me.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #765
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just want out this past weekend to see if it worked....

Set the automatic choke with the gas pedal, turned the key for half a second and it fired right up. It's weird, really must have been the altitude.

I'll give it a drive this weekend to see how it runs once warmed up.

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.