Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #736
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. Glad to hear the new Carb did it.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #737
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #738
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, so, she's runnin like a champ (knock on wood).

I brought my timing back up to 12* and brought my neutral idle back down to about 800, and thats all she wrote.

Drove her in the 110 degree heat today.

It started surging a little on the highway, eventually got over it after i was already in an exit lane. I pulled off the highway, and was dripping gas all out my rear quarter panel. Opened the gas cap a crack and WOOOOOOSH.

I didnt take it off right away, it was POURING out vapor for a minute or two, then i let it breathe. This seems very common when it's hot out, I cant get the venting system to work.

I hooked the vapor canister up to a caonstant manifold vacuum to see if that would help. It drove fine up the highway the next several miles, but when i got to my destination it still needed to vent.

Damn auxiliary tank is not set up correctly, I cant wait to get a new filler neck bent and put it in so i can run the original tank.

That being said, at 110 degrees, the truck runs at 195 on the highway, 195 on the street, and i have 50psi of oil pressure at 65mph.

After the clouds rolled in today and it was only about 100*, the truck ran without the slightest issue.

Well, there were actually two issues now that i mentioned. My blinker relay randomly fell out of the fuse box and hit me in the foot so i couldnt signal...

then some ****** lost an empty trash bag off their truck, and i hit it. Looked in my rear view mirror... "oh **** it didnt come out!" Stopped at a gas station and looked under it....god dammit.

all tangled in my steering and around my knuckle. took a few minutes to get it all out. (dont mind the broken shock mount)

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #739
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on passing smog and getting it running smooth. Good luck on solving the venting problem, or just eliminating it. Is the oem tank good other than the neck?

Its came a long ways since you got it.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #740
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post
Congrats on passing smog and getting it running smooth. Good luck on solving the venting problem, or just eliminating it. Is the oem tank good other than the neck?

Its came a long ways since you got it.
I just have no way to get from gas cap to tank at this point, but yes it's all good, sending unit and everything.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #741
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you sure your vent line's not clogged up? I can't remember if you ever checked or changed those...

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #742
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
you sure your vent line's not clogged up? I can't remember if you ever checked or changed those...
I guess technically i've never checked them?

The problem might be that they dont vent from the tank. The tank has no fittings for vent lines, so i ended up drilling holes in the breather tube, and putting the vent lines in those holes. I figure the gase is going to go up there, towards the gas cap anyway.

I can always blow air through them to see if the check valve still works i guess.

I'm thinking about taking the jeep camping for labor day, but its a 3.5 hour drive each way, thats alotta gas!

Unread 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #743
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hell, that's almost a full tank each way in my TJ... I'd love to take either of my Jeeps camping for Labor day, but it's too freakin' hot out to sleep comfortably right now.

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #744
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hey Marn, where are you headed? Big Bear is I think about 3 or 4 hours from you. Should be plenty cool there to camp outside!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #745
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Probably up to Ely, NV. I was at big bear in march. Don't know how the jeep would fare coming down the mountain, haha.

However, it's yet to be determined.

Also I want to try to get my headlight's upgraded by installing some relays before I go, so we'll see if I do that either. (my headlight switch gets hawt!)

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #746
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

See... 3-4 hours from me is... Austin, Waco, Lafayette? Everything in between... All still 80s at night, though. No nice arid environment that drops to 65 after sundown. Sometimes I miss living in Lubbock...

Unread 08-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #747
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alright, completed. Results seem favorable.

Here's the little doohicky (harness) i started wiring up last night. Power connects to the 30 terminal on the relay, ground to the 85 terminal.

Pulled my grille and this is the route I wired it. This only took about an hour total.

I came in where the stock wiring harness enters the radiator support, on the driver side. Used an old piece of vac hose to cover the wire.

Brought it into the front, behind the inner headlight bucket, and entered the original AMC supplied split loom, and ran the wire all the way across the front with the stock wiring.

Came out of the split loom and sent the wire through whatever this little thing is, just to the passenger side of the radiator. The wire came out right next to the battery.

Routed it up and around the battery, and hooked into the positive terminal because I didnt have a connector big enough for the starter solenoid. I installed a handy in line fuse holder, with a 30A fuse.

So, thats where the power comes from.

Back over to the other side, we have the two wires we are working with. I had to remove my horns to get access to this area.

Gray wire = low beams
Gray wire with tracer = high beams.

easy peasy, right?

Clipped the gray, connected the dash side to the 86 terminal on the relay, the light side to the 87 terminal on the relay, bolted the ground and the relay down, and gave it a test.

Woo, it worked! Repeated for the 2nd relay.

Anyway, here's the finished product.

Only thing that concerns me is a buncha short little wires and connections right there...should they be protected? It obviously doesnt rain often here, and i VERY rarely drive it if it is raining, but should i smear on some dielectric grease to protect the connections from moisture?

Headlights seem brighter, but i havent driven it yet, and havent seen if the switch gets hot or not.

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #748
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

when I run relays like that, I usually apply an ample amount of dielectric grease, and wrap the entire thing in electric tape. May not be necessary, but it only takes a couple of minutes, and it does get rather wet out here. I starte the electric tape 3-5" out from the relay, and wrap tight all the way up to the relay, so not connectors can be seen. Makes for a slight pain, if you ever have to remove the relay, but... I prefer that. I've seen where some folks will even use silicone or such to make a homemade connector that insulates everything....

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #749
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
when I run relays like that, I usually apply an ample amount of dielectric grease, and wrap the entire thing in electric tape. May not be necessary, but it only takes a couple of minutes, and it does get rather wet out here. I starte the electric tape 3-5" out from the relay, and wrap tight all the way up to the relay, so not connectors can be seen. Makes for a slight pain, if you ever have to remove the relay, but... I prefer that. I've seen where some folks will even use silicone or such to make a homemade connector that insulates everything....
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines, but there isnt much that leads into them. I have a lil project box I was thinking of just cutting one side out of and slipping over all the wires to at least shelter the stuff.

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #750
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you go the tape route then roll the first layer sticky side up then go back over it with sticky side down. This will give you the option of just cutting the tape in one spot and it will all but fall off. No sticky residue left behind.

I would grab a pencil box from the school supply section at yourr local retail store. Cut a hole for the line and load wires to pass through then seal it. If you need to work/replace either relay then lift cover to the box and you have access to them.

If you plan to add more relays down the road then consider a small ammo can so you can house them all in one place. Cut a vent hole in whatever side you make the top and use window screen to help keep major moisture out as well as excess heat.

P.S. I haven't read back through the thread lately and these suggestions are simply a reply to the last few posts. So if this has been covered just ignore mine.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.