Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #721
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well if you have to buy a new carb time to upgrade.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #722
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Its in Sparks, but still, they must have put it on a truck that night. thats service!
Ah k. Close enough for gubment work...

That sucks about the carb. I've had similar experiences with motorcycle carbs before, and I alway just ended up tossing the carbs in the parts washer for a week or so.

So far I've been lucky in only destroying two motorcycle carbs when stuff got stuck.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #723
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Damn Marn. Maybe it's a sign.... someone up there is telling you to go with fuel injection!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #724
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Someone up there is telling me all these fools on craigslist dont answer their damn emails.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #725
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey dude are you have trouble getting on the IFSJA site? I think my college blocked it somehow Worked fine 2 days ago.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #726
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
Hey dude are you have trouble getting on the IFSJA site? I think my college blocked it somehow Worked fine 2 days ago.
I've been off and on it all day. Works fine.

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #727
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nah, works like a charm for me!

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #728
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, got the new carb into the truck, tirned the key to fill the bowls, backed off. touched the key once and it fired up instantly, and idled awesome, barely had to adjust anything to get it to purr like a kitten.

Also threw on a 1" spacer.

Call me mr. edelbrock...I found a brand new one cheap on CL, so am returning the one that arrived today from summit..

For those of you who missed it, I was rebuilding my old carb, but the shop before me over tightened and stripped one of the primary jets, so i tried getting it out, it got more stuck, then i tried an easy out, and it broke, then tried drilling it and that damaged the body.

Anyway, it sucks, i looked forward to cleaning up my carb for cheap, but i guess this will be for the better, this thing should be perfect for a while. PLUS i have a crap load of edelbrock parts now that should interchange between the two (screws, linkages, floats, pretty much everything but venturies and jets/rods) I'm pretty sure I'll have to change the jets and rods though to get it to pass emissions, but we will see how it tests.

The old carb was a mess. When i took it off, the gasket was all wet in a few places, not sure why or how that happened, it didnt spill when i picked it up. Perhaps it was leaking.

Anyway...the old carb definitely needed some attention:

Here's the gas that poured out of the carb (i verified that CLEAN gas was going in. I guess it was pretty narsty in there.

Anyway, the new one is in and running, just gotta see how the overall truck is running and what the emissions test results are.

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #729
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So shiny, it hurts my eyes!

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #730
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Such a sweet build!!! Cant wait to see more!
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #731
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
So shiny, it hurts my eyes!
Right? No worries, it'll be all dirty and dusty before long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC00TJ View Post
Such a sweet build!!! Cant wait to see more!
Thanks!

Unread 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #732
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Marn is this the same model carb you had before?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #733
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Marn is this the same model carb you had before?
Yes and no. I had a 1403 performer. Now i have a 1406 performer. The 1403 is 500cfm, the 1406 is 600cfm. But yes, they are both Edelbrock performers.

I was thinking about going holley, but i know nothing about them as far as adjustments and tuning. I would have loved a truck avenger, but i didnt have $400 + shipping and tax for one. I barely had the $300 for the carb i ordered...

Which is why i'm thankful I found this brand new in box unit for $190 cash. I'll be returning the other one that i ordered.

Unread 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #734
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, I'm PSYCHED!

The whole point of trying to rebuild my old carb was to get closer to passing emissions. Yes, 1973's still have to smog here in clark county, NV.

Well, my Edelbrock 1403 (500cfm, which was jetted lean two stages btw) was damaged and i couldn't rebuild it, so i picked up a new 1406.

Threw it on the truck yesterday, drove it over to the emissions place today. Sadly they got rid of their "no pass no pay" rule...so i had to cough up the dough.

Anyway. PREVIOUS test failures (this was with only about 10 minutes of driving from a cold start)

Idle Speed CO: 7.53% (3.5% limit)
High Speed CO: 6.10% (3.5% Limit)
Idle Speed HC: 944ppm (700 ppm limit)

Then backed off timing 2*, put in new plugs, new cap and rotor, ran a bottle of Heet, and got it nice and hot before testing

failures:
idle speed CO 6.85%
High Speed CO 5.66%
Idle Speed HC 1138ppm (woah! got worse!)

Finally replaced the carb, switched over to timed vacuum advance, ran a bottle of Heet, and didnt do anything to get it hotter than normal.

Failures:
Idle speed CO 5.72%

SOOOOOO, all that is failing is my idle CO, which means I'm too rich at idle, which SHOULD be able to be adjusted with the idle mixture screws, correct? Can i bring it down enough like that, or do i need to mess with timing as well? It's adjusted for best vacuum right now, and idles smooth, but if i turn the screws in any further it starts to bog down. I understand that running for emissions and running for best idle is not the same, but will leaning it with the idle mixture screws until it runs like crapola get it to the point where it will pass?

Or does leaning it out too much cause missing, thus causing me to fail emissions due to HC? If it will cause it to miss, can this be remedied by retarding my timing even more, past 10*?

Just looking for some tips, I'd rather take it there and fiddle with it than drop it off at my mechanic for a day and pay them 85 bucks an hour just to turn some knobs on my carb.

That being said, pretty crazy that a 360 with NO emissions equipment (other than a cat) is that close to passing.

Unread 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #735
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Annnnnnndddddd......

Smogged. Registration comes tomorrah!

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.