Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #616
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Im not sure of the high or low side hose clamp issue. I can tell you however thst I was unable to remove any of the connections even though I tried. I was going to disconnect the system during the engine swap but wasn't strong enough Haha. That's with the clamps removed. Also....there is no seepage or any signs of sealing issues near any of the hose clamped connections.

I do not have a set of gauges....though I could get some at harbor freight for like 50 bucks. Is it worth having the system charged with a dyed refridgersnt and see how long it holds a charge and where it leaked from if it does?
I would rather invest my $50 into getting the evac and dyed charge done than to buy harbor freight manifold gauges

I think thats a good place to start. Even if thats not the problem the shop will usually tell you what the problem is in hopes you will pay them to fix it.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #617
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't you often have to replace the compressor with an upgraded one when you retrofit for r134a? I seem to remember the R134a putting more of a work load on compressors than R12, and that often being an issue. It's been about 9 years since I retrofitted an AC system, but I seem to remember that being part of the fun.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #618
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

It depends on the compressor, really. I know on some of them you can get away with it, like the ones made near the time of the switch from R12 to 134a, but others have to be changed. I would say since its a 73, it would most likely need to be changed to run 134a unless its a newer compressor. As i found out when my dad retrofitted his old lincoln continental, some replacement compressors can handle both.

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #619
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's a york compressor, lots of people seem to retrofit without much issue.

I dont wanna retrofit, i wanna charge with r12 or freeze12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #620
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

R12 has gotten expensive... Plus, you gotta have a license to buy it these days... Personally, I'd retrofit. Of course, I don't have that option cause some PO ripped out the entire AC system from my Cherokee. Removed the heater core, too.

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #621
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I can go on ebay or CL and buy some right now.

Or i can buy Freeze 12, and not bother retrofitting. Retrofit = expensive. R12 or Freeze12 = alot less expensive.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #622
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Throw a new receiver drier on it and have it evac'd then charged with r12 with UV dye. Buy a dollar store blacklight and run in in your garage with the lights off.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #623
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah well. Your Jeep. You know what you want better than anyone else.

Unread 06-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #624
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Ah well. Your Jeep. You know what you want better than anyone else.

I don't see any problem going with the cheaper stuff. But then again I know nothing about A/C systems.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #625
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Me neither, oh well. Gotta get my booster fixed first. but gotta pay rent before that...

Quote:

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #626
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Off to re-do my oil pan gasket, damn thing is pissing me off, leaking. This stupid truck is soooo close to being leak free that i can TASTE IT!

If i get this 1 corner of the pan sealed up, it'll be down to the oil leaking at the filter, which i need to figure out next....all other fluids stay in the truck!

Quote:

Unread 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #627
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, finished up the oil pan gasket, i think it was causing the leak...but once i got done with it, i realized i probably should have done my rear main seal....sigh. Oh well. we'll find out soon if THAT is what caused the leak, haha.

Anyway, also cleaned up some of the crap under the truck, so much caked on oil and dirt. Discovered that I have 3.31 gears. Musta had a tow package or something, I believe 3.07 was standard, and on later models it was in the high 2's.

Anyway, seeing as I have zero money right now, I was looking for cheapish things to do on the truck. I figured I'd try to get a touch up paint to match my paint and fix the big spots on my hood. Well, there were no touch-ups that were even close, so i grabbed what I THOUGHT was a good match in spray paint to brush on.

The CAP looked like a decent match...wimbeldon white or some crap. You can see the big chips around the hood ornament, and on the drivers front corner.

Well, turned out it didnt match, at all, it was wayyyy lighter. So, I got a dark tan out of my paint box, and whipped up something special in about 20 seconds, and had a nice match.

Wellll, that doesnt look half bad!

Far from perfect, but at least there arent big ole rust-colored chips on my hood anymore.

Quote:

Unread 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #628
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

The jeep is just marking its turf when it leaks.

Paint repair looks pretty good, i had to do that where a tree branch landed on my hood and left a big quarter sized hole in the paint. mixed up a little rustoleum black enamel with a little flat black spraypaint to give it a faded look. That way i dont have a faded, clear coat failure hood with a nice bright shiny black spot on it.

Unread 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #629
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Will it even continue to qualify as a Jeep, if it stops leaking???

Unread 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #630
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Will it even continue to qualify as a Jeep, if it stops leaking???
After i spent $400 on everything to make mine stop it doesnt leak anymore. But i had to replace both my trans cooler hardlines, 1 PS line, lower rad hose, water pump, rear main/oil pan, valve covers, and timing cover.

Now it just burns oil through the plenum. Thats a jeep for ya

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.