Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #601
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my rear window works, but the track need fixing. i have to jiggle the switch up and down, because the window will always shift and stop while opening or closing. New window guides are on the list with weatherstripping, lights, and paint... But that all has to wait for me to fix other issues, first.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #602
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Blah!!!

K, so, either my brake booster crapped out, or i developed an vacuum leak at the manifold, or both are happening and compounding the issue.

Waggy started shaking at idle, indicative of a misfire issue. At the same time, my brakes got way hard to use. Slows down fine, but coming to a stop is a 2-legged affair.

Apparently the 73 boosters are notorious for being a POS.

I also found a small vacuum leak at the manifold. If i spray carb cleaner along the rear passenger side of the motor, the truck will bog ever so slightly. And for that to happen i need to literally hose it down, as in spray for a solid 5 seconds on the crack between head and manifold before something noticeable happens.

Hopefully i can patch that from the outside, as ghetto as it sounds....but that is probably unrelated to the brake issue.

OH wells. another day in paradise.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #603
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, pretty sure its narrowed down to the booster.

I couldnt find the vacuum leak i thought I had found.

I also worked on timing it today, I was being told it should idle at about 650rpm in gear, and around 800 or so in neutral.

I was idling at 700 in gear, but 1000 in idle, a 300 rpm drop is quite a lot, hence the thing jamming into gear and whatnot.

I worked on the timing some. Timed it to 14 degrees advance initial timing, then ad the advice of others hooked my advance to manifold vacuum on the carb, rather than timed vacuum on the carb. I had to richen my idle mixture a bit, but now in gear it idles real nice at 650 rpm, no shakes or anything, and in neutral it idles at about 800 with no problems. Also, i used to have a decent "ticking" or "tapping" coming from half the motor at idle or less. The severity of it could be altered by changing the timing, I'm gonna assume this was either misfiring or pinging due to timing. Now in idle it's non-existent with the current settings. Thats a good thing! I think I'm finally getting the hang of the timing process.

Here's the issue i have with the brakes. As mentioned, its like they're full manual now, super hard to come to a stop.

The video starts out idling in gear with the e-brake on holding me still. at :08 I press the brake pedal. starts shaking. at :18 I let off the pedal and everything gets smooth again.

seems like the diaphragm in the booster is busted and not sealing up as it should after the initial draw on the vacuum system.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #604
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just thought I'd share.

Took my two ladies on a sunday drive (jeep and the girl).

Headed from vegas across the dam, then down to the colorado river. I've done this trail several times before. Mostly just a loose dirt road (I could see a 2wd getting stuck in a few spots if they were dumb or on street tires). Winds a few miles down, there are a couple tight spots to navigate through some rocks, but its an easy ride.

Weather was great, nice and cool with some wind, but beautifully sunny and blue skies.

Enjoy the scenery, I know I did.

Started hiking at this point.

Saw these guys milling around on the way out. We were right on top of them before we noticed them or they noticed us.

Quote:

Unread 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #605
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Man that looks like a lot of fun. Did the waggy stay nice and cool on the trails?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #606
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yup. It's cool out (75 maybe? with a cold breeze) and the truck didnt touch 190. Im waiting for the TRUE tests to come when we hit 115 degrees.

Last summer i was out in the same area, 115 degrees out, pushing up hill trying to do 50, and it hit 235 so i slowed down, haha. But that was with the old radiator and t-stat that kept it running at 210 under normal conditions.

Quote:

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #607
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hate you so much, right now... It's been in the 90s all week, and I spent all day inside feeling like crap. I did do some research on how to reupholster my seats, though...

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #608
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
I hate you so much, right now... It's been in the 90s all week, and I spent all day inside feeling like crap. I did do some research on how to reupholster my seats, though...
I wanna re-do mine, i dunno which is original, but the rear is vinyl and the front is cloth.

The rear is all perfect...i figure thats the original one, bet the vinyl gave out and he redid the front with cloth.

Quote:

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #609
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

way higher res versions of the cool pics from above.

Quote:

Unread 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #610
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I wanna re-do mine, i dunno which is original, but the rear is vinyl and the front is cloth.

The rear is all perfect...i figure thats the original one, bet the vinyl gave out and he redid the front with cloth.
My rear seat is original, and needs work. My front seats were from something else altogether, so I bought some original Wagoneer front seats off a guy on IFSJA, and they need some work too.I currently have gray/black fronts, and tan back. No center console, because some PO gutted the column shifter and installed a cheap Hurst floor shifter.

I'm just not sure if I want to redo it all in vinyl for durability, or cloth for comfort... I do like the pattern on the fronts, and may just try to copy it when I recover them.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #611
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

with the hot weather right around the corner I'm REALLLLLY thinking that I'd like to get my AC working in this thing...hmmmmm. I should start looking into what it would take.

Quote:

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #612
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
with the hot weather right around the corner I'm REALLLLLY thinking that I'd like to get my AC working in this thing...hmmmmm. I should start looking into what it would take.
What is it doing/not doing? I specialize in AC work.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #613
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Its doing everything BUT cooling.

Po said it worked the previous summer, when he bought it.

The clutch kicks in (york compressor) when I turn the power on and turn the temp knob (you can feel the temp switch engage) and as said the clutch engages and turns the compressor (I believe that means it still has oil in it otherwise it wont run?).

Sadly...like half of the hoses are held together with hose.clamps....so I don't know if that is why it leaked out the r12 or if something else went bad. Im assuming the hose clamps actually sealed it pretty well because the PO wasn't the one that did all that work to it.

Im wondering if it would just be wise to replace the reciever dryer and have the thing vacuumed out and fill it with freeze12 rather than take the time and effort to convert it to r134a

Quote:

Unread 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #614
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Its doing everything BUT cooling.

Po said it worked the previous summer, when he bought it.

The clutch kicks in (york compressor) when I turn the power on and turn the temp knob (you can feel the temp switch engage) and as said the clutch engages and turns the compressor (I believe that means it still has oil in it otherwise it wont run?).

Sadly...like half of the hoses are held together with hose.clamps....so I don't know if that is why it leaked out the r12 or if something else went bad. Im assuming the hose clamps actually sealed it pretty well because the PO wasn't the one that did all that work to it.

Im wondering if it would just be wise to replace the reciever dryer and have the thing vacuumed out and fill it with freeze12 rather than take the time and effort to convert it to r134a
You are correct, if it doesnt have enough refrigerant in the system the low pressure switch wont allow the compressor to run, unless it has been jumped.

As for hose clamps holding things together, i would hope thats the low side, i would not trust a hose clamp to hold back the pressures of the high side. Ive never serviced an R12 system, but retrofits can get pricey since alot of the seals have to be replaced.

Do you have any manifold gauges? they would help the process of determining the problem greatly.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #615
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Im not sure of the high or low side hose clamp issue. I can tell you however thst I was unable to remove any of the connections even though I tried. I was going to disconnect the system during the engine swap but wasn't strong enough Haha. That's with the clamps removed. Also....there is no seepage or any signs of sealing issues near any of the hose clamped connections.

I do not have a set of gauges....though I could get some at harbor freight for like 50 bucks. Is it worth having the system charged with a dyed refridgersnt and see how long it holds a charge and where it leaked from if it does?

Quote:

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.