Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #571
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Aite, turns out they lost the crank bushing (thin little collar on the torque converter snout) that i installed, so they put a new one in and the vibes are gone. Easy peasy.

Should have it back soon.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #572
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, got it back, they fixed the vibes and installed a fresh starter. Thats all I cared to have them fix.

Thing drives all nice. I drove it 50 or so miles for work today, and it shifts great, no vibes at speed, plenty of power, and plenty of oil pressure. Woo! its back on the road.

Popped a fuse though by accidentally short circuiting my transmission gauge, replaced that, and noticed I had some issues with my volt gauge.

It was only reading 11v when the truck was running, and my ammeter (amp meter) was ever so slightly negative, indicating a minor drain on the battery.

If i turned on my headlights, volt gauge went down to 10, and the ammeter dipped slightly lower, a noticable amount. Not good.

So, drove it home, checked some stuff. 12.5v at the battery....not bad but not good. 14v coming from the alternator, so thats fine...but the batt wasnt fully charged, and obviously any accessories i had running were draining from the battery, not the alternator. Strange.

Cleaned my positive terminal, and the connections from the alt and battery at the starter solenoid. Turned the truck on, and the ammeter instantly bounced to the positive side, indicating the the battery was taking a charge.

Voila.

Apparently every few months my positive terminal gets a nice greasy buildup? It doesnt look like normal corrosion, but its there. It screws with the connection. This is what cause my issues with not being able to start it in the past. Strange. Guess I'll keep an eye on it, but in the meantime, she's running great.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #573
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. My buddies waggy had electrical issues usually we had to trace down a small power wire that was grounding out. We ended up putting new terminals on and some extra grounds to the body, frame and motor. Worked like a charm.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #574
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, i've added grounds, but need to clean up some of the underhood and interior wiring. A hackjob was done inside the truck....for all sorts of accessories. But, sadly, the addition of like 5 gauges by me doesnt look much better, haha.

Quote:

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #575
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You try cleaning the terminals, putting some of those felt terminal pads on, and coating the connections in dielectric grease? Or even the stuff they sell at the store for greasing the terminals? I think it's basically just dielectric grease, but...

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #576
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was skeptical about the felt pads but tried them and was surprised by the results.

I've also sprayed the battery terminals with WD40 to protect them. It isn't as durable as other methods but does help.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #577
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have the felt pads, and last time I did this I cleaned everything up with battery cleaner. It just seems strange to me that its getting this stuff on it so fast. It doesn't look like the normal white deposits, its almost a greasy substance on the actual post.

Reggartless.... its fixed

Quote:

Unread 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #578
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
...It doesn't look like the normal white deposits, its almost a greasy substance on the actual post...
quite possible the tranny shop disconnected it, and reinstalled with greasy hands/or rag!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #579
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
quite possible the tranny shop disconnected it, and reinstalled with greasy hands/or rag!

Hoss
True, but it seems to be the same substance that developed in the past.

Oh well, no matter.

Quote:

Unread 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #580
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Took a little time this morning to wrap up a few loose ends.

Started cleaning up the wiring for my ignition system. Note.. i said MY wiring, i didnt clean up anything from PO's or the factory, just the stuff i installed for the ignition system.

When i installed it, just trying to make it work.

Pulled it all back out, and started to make an actual harness...kinda.

much better

That should keep the wires organized and out of the way of everything else under there.

Installed my new torque arm stud and bushings. The old one was beyond "Gone" it was just mushy rubber and the fools at the tranny shop stripped the stud.

While i was in there, i dropped the transmission cross member, to replace my tranny mount. The mount was NEW installed by me, but something didnt line up right, so it was all smooshed and the rubber was separating from the base. I grabbed another one and cut some notches in the bolt holes to allow some adjustability, but it went on fine and it sits nice and square now, not all mashed and pulled out of position.

My e-brake cable had come off the pedal, so i hooked that back up, with some difficulty. no pics.

I tried to stop a slow coolant drip by tightening a hose clamp, hopefully that'll cure it. I'm trying to get leak free here. Only really two things left to do now! I need to get my oil pan to stop leaking like a sive, and make some sort of cover for my bell housing, because my flex plate and torque covnerter are just out in the open right now. I dont have the inspection covers for this jeep pattern TH400 case.

Also, unrelated to the engine swap, i need to weld my shock tab back on. I brought a welder home from work this weekend, and may try my hand at it.

Quote:

Unread 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #581
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Welding, eh? I suggest picking up a few pieces of steel from a scrap bin somewhere. Practice laying some beads.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #582
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take some pics and measurements of your torque arm for me? Mine's missing the torque arm, and I gotta make a new one.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #583
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Welding, eh? I suggest picking up a few pieces of steel from a scrap bin somewhere. Practice laying some beads.
PRactice schmactice. I made sure it worked and went right for it. Came out ugly as hell, but solid as a rock. The back side of it is way uglier because it was like upside down in a crack...but whatever. Not bad for free.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Can you take some pics and measurements of your torque arm for me? Mine's missing the torque arm, and I gotta make a new one.
I couldnt grab any measurements because i didnt have a ruler. It looks like it'll be real easy to make, just bend an L shape and drill 3 holes in it. If you really need the measurements lemmie know and i can try to find a tape or ruler small enough to fit in there.

Quote:

Unread 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #584
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

First wheelin trip after all the work...and it was a success...

The truck ran beautifully! Nice and smooth, not a single hiccup.

Few folks from Jeep forum that I often times wheel with met up today and we rolled out south/west of las vegas and took an old trail out to Sandy Valley, NV. More scenic than anything. But that's the kind of riding I like, rocks are fun and all, but stressful, i like to just relax with cruising around. I didn't even use 4wd even though there was a hill climb that it would have helped with..but man getting out of the jeep and locking the hubs is such a hassle!

Anyway, truck did great, im so happy this "test" went well. I swear it runs better off road than on the pavement haha.

Pics?

Started out kinda cloudy and chilly

Gorgeous scenery though, recent rains really got the color to come alive in the desert.

Met some fellow trail-users out there..

Sun came out, and it was perfect outside

Looks so happy to be back out on the trail!

See vegas in the distance?

So much color! The Globemallow was blooming more than anything else.

the back side was a little more desert like

All dirty...but i like how the tires match the paint.

she's a popular girl! Everyone was helping air up, haha.

Stopped in Goodsprings at the world famous Pioneer Saloon. Just a cool picture.

Anyway, great day and restored some of my faith in the old girl, she seems decently reliable now, and i wont be nervous every time i drive it.

Quote:

Unread 05-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #585
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Nice dog
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.