Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #541
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Geeze... I feel for ya, man. I was simply happy to drive my Cherokee around today.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #542
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

PAid an arm and a leg, but i got it back. 6 month warranty more or less as well.

However, im having issues with the truck surging like crazy. it was 95 today, so im thinking it's vaporizing the fuel...

I moved some lines around and whatnot, to try and make it better but we'll see how it acts tomorrow. So....damn....close....but its always something else.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #543
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That sux man. Your FSJ made me want our Chief we have now. Now we gotta sell for other repairs
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #544
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
That sux man. Your FSJ made me want our Chief we have now. Now we gotta sell for other repairs

No! dont sell it, haha. They're soooo worth the money!

Now, back to my surging issue.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #545
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Sounds like they work quick. You sure the trans isn't making it surge?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #546
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Sounds like they work quick. You sure the trans isn't making it surge?
dunno how it could?

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #547
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

k, i checked a few things, then did some quick work.

My fuel system is currently closed, non vented, because of the PO removing the stock gas tank which had all the venting stuff. It used to just vent inside the truck by having the fill tube and breather disconnected, so it all just let vapor into the rear fender well. I sealed it up and put on a vented gas cap, but in the vegas heat it would always bloat the tank and whatnot.

I just hooked up all the venting system to the closed tank in a kinda ghetto way. I took the two vent tubes from the original gas tank, and stuck them into two holes i drilled in the breather tube. I dont see how this would be any different than venting from the top of the stock tank. The gas expands, vapor rises up the filler neck/breather tube, and it SHOULD be able to vent though the check valve in the fender, then be sucked from there up into the vapor canister under my hood, and then through the vacuum port at the brake booster.

After driving it yesterday, it was spilling vented gas vapor down the side of the truck, out from the gas cap. That didnt happen today, but then again it didnt sit in the sun all day.

this issue could also be exacerbated by the fact that my exhaust dumps under the truck now, and could be heating up the tank as I drive maybe?

Anyway, i hooked it up as so, for the time being, to see if it helps. I figure excess pressure in the tank cant be a good thing, and this system should also allow it to breath while sucking in gas, correct?

Dunno if that'll help the situation at all, but it should help the truck overall.

I took it for a drive today with an added ground, the moved fuel lines (one was real close to the valve cover, as mentioned, and the one under the fuel pump was touching up against the lower rad hose, so that wasnt good im sure).

I drove it for a good hour I'd say, in the setting sun, at about 95-98 degrees outside, truck was running at the same temp, and it ran great? Only thing i can think is that it wasnt sitting in the sun all day, and wasnt in the direct sun while driving for most of the time. I'll take it out in the heat tomorrow and we'll see whats up.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #548
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, been driving it for the past few days, most everything seems okay. Not entirely sure though.

It seems to be shifting a bit high, but i can fix that, maybe the vacuum modulator needs adjustment.

Also, i seem to have some devent driveline vibration any time i rev up the engine, in neutral or when im driving. Nothing insane, but i can feel the truck vibrate a bit. Looking under it while it's running, it almost looks like the torque converter is wobbling a bit, but im not sure. It definitely didnt feel like this in the past.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #549
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, it's been almost 11 months since I picked up the beast, so I figured it's time for a little then vs. now...

I've come quite a ways, it seems, even though at times it felt like i was pedaling backwards.

Then....the day I bought it...

Now:

Then:

now:

Then:

Now:

Sigh, I'm starting to realize how many hours and dollars I've put into this truck, not to mention how many bumps, bruises, cuts, curse words, and whatnot as well...but I suppose there have been smiles as well.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #550
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Put some tire shine on that mofo
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #551
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Put some tire shine on that mofo
it would really look boss then.
Use this stuff. I love it.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/armor-a...ne&FORM=CMOPEG
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #552
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

that side shot was tire shined like 2 weeks prior.

it DOES pop with shiny tires though....but this is before the refnished paint and the wood grain.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #553
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just a little bit more lift and please tint the windows. I love this jeep. Its more family oriented than ever. Except for the gas. But we drive jeeps who cares about gas.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #554
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

as far as the vibration goes....

Uhm....I think i found the problem...

D'OH!!!!!

Transmission shop will be getting a call tomorrow, considering they lost half my bushing.

Apparently the torque arm bushing is fairly important. I was reading that in 4lo, 1st gear, the 360 and transmission will produce about 3000 ft. lbs of torque....sooooo....i'd say it's fairly necessary to get that bushing back on there.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #555
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Just a little bit more lift and please tint the windows. I love this jeep. Its more family oriented than ever. Except for the gas. But we drive jeeps who cares about gas.
Yeah, it'll get a 1.5" or 2" body lift (i know, body lifts are the devil, but they are very hard to notice on the FSJ's, 3" lifts are not even visible). tint would be good eventually.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.