Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #451
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
bahahaha, i am not getting power to the transmission, great! something is wrong here....
See that lever that says PRND21?
Move it to D then try.

Clutches get stuck maybe? Syncros not syncing?
I dunno dude. Back it up to the modem and we'll get right on it.

-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #452
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Is it not selecting gears or is it just not engaging?

When we fired mine up last week, it wouldn't come out of Park. Turns out the low range lever was lifted. Pushed it back down and it shifted fine.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #453
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

it seems like its not engaging, as in, i shift from "p" or "n" into something else, and nothing happens. no bog, no noise, no thud, no nothing.

seems entirely like the engine is disconnected from the transmission. Is it possible i didnt seat the torque converter all the way, so its just spinning freely?

it clunked a few times as i rotated it to seat it, and everything seemed fine when i slid it away from the tranny to connect it to the flex plate.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #454
turtlerace

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
it seems like its not engaging, as in, i shift from "p" or "n" into something else, and nothing happens. no bog, no noise, no thud, no nothing.

seems entirely like the engine is disconnected from the transmission. Is it possible i didnt seat the torque converter all the way, so its just spinning freely?

it clunked a few times as i rotated it to seat it, and everything seemed fine when i slid it away from the tranny to connect it to the flex plate.
I hate to say it, but I fear you just popped the pump.

You attach the trans and engine together which leaves just enough room between the plate and the converter to spin it to line the holes up. There should have been no reason to slide it away from the transmission.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #455
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

my old one slid back a little ways when i took it off.

what do you mean popped the pump? it doesnt seem like its even connected.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #456
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

and, apparently timing is pretty darn easy.

just watched a video from MSD about how to do it using a light, all i gotta do is pick up a cheap timing light and go to town, provided i can get it started up again tomorrow.

Quote:

Unread 04-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #457
turtlerace

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
my old one slid back a little ways when i took it off.

what do you mean popped the pump? it doesnt seem like its even connected.
How far did you slide it? The clearance on mine was maybe 1/4 of an inch.

If the converter isn't properly engaged it will blow the pump. If you had the transmission case and engine pulled together all the way around and spun the converter on installation until all of the wobble was taken out of it, you will be okay.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #458
turtlerace

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
and, apparently timing is pretty darn easy.

just watched a video from MSD about how to do it using a light, all i gotta do is pick up a cheap timing light and go to town, provided i can get it started up again tomorrow.
Timing is a breeze. Just be sure to cap off the vacuum advance when you do it.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #459
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerace View Post
I hate to say it, but I fear you just popped the pump.

You attach the trans and engine together which leaves just enough room between the plate and the converter to spin it to line the holes up. There should have been no reason to slide it away from the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerace View Post
How far did you slide it? The clearance on mine was maybe 1/4 of an inch.

If the converter isn't properly engaged it will blow the pump. If you had the transmission case and engine pulled together all the way around and spun the converter on installation until all of the wobble was taken out of it, you will be okay.
okay, i dont know, i guess maybe it wasnt engaged?

would the pump being damaged result in my issue though? I think there's something bigger going on here, that being that nothing is turning.

I guess i'll be dropping the transmission regardless, i dunno what to look for though.

Quote:

Unread 04-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #460
turtlerace

1979 J-Series Truck 

Try pulling your coil wire off then cranking your engine to see if you are pumping transmission fluid.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #461
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

and if i'm not pumping fluid? i'd assume it's simply not engaged at all?

Quote:

Unread 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #462
turtlerace

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
and if i'm not pumping fluid? i'd assume it's simply not engaged at all?
If you aren't pumping fluid, you're not engaged or your pump isn't working. Just a quick check to let you start narrowing things down.
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #463
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

apparently having nowhere near enough fluid in the trans can cause issues. I know there isnt much in there, but i guess it has to be running when you fill it all the way?

Ill try putting more fluid in tomorrow, it probably only had about 5 or 6 quarts in it.

Quote:

Unread 04-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #464
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
apparently having nowhere near enough fluid in the trans can cause issues. I know there isnt much in there, but i guess it has to be running when you fill it all the way?

Ill try putting more fluid in tomorrow, it probably only had about 5 or 6 quarts in it.
I think the last rebuilt TH-400 I had took 10-12 QTS of ATF to fill it. Also when you installed the torque convertor it should had made 3 clunks as it engaged the pump. Hope it's a simple fix for you.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #465
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

soooo,

yeah, i added several quarts, turned it back on, and it sucked them all up, reading empty again.

So, i added a few more quarts while running, and ran out (i poured in 12 quarts) its reading below full, but is reading consistantly on the stick while running.

I hopped in the truck, put it in gear, and thud! it stalled.

GOOD! That means i have forward and reverse! Now, if only I can make the engine run under load, haha. timing and carb adjustment, here i come.

Quote:

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.