Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #391
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Love the thread. Love your Wagoneer. Quietly watching because I would love to restore/modernize one with a EFI engine and all the amenities of a modern SUV. Maybe one day. After the lottery.

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #392
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
Love the thread. Love your Wagoneer. Quietly watching because I would love to restore/modernize one with a EFI engine and all the amenities of a modern SUV. Maybe one day. After the lottery.

doesnt take the lottery, only takes about 15 grand to buy a mint 1991 Grand Wagoneer.

Leather heated/power seats, AC, good stereo system, overhead console, etc etc.

I updated my calculations on the amount I've poured into the Wagoneer the other day. I'm quickly approaching the point where I have put more into it than I paid for, hahah.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #393
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

And so it begins....by removing 4 bolts at the drive shaft.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #394
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Marn,
Here's the photoshop of the pic I borrowed
Thought you might like it
wagoneer.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #395
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

That's pretty slick! I actually like it alot more than I thought I would.

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #396
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

progress!

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #397
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Any work today?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #398
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Done yet?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #399
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

bumped to next page.

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #400
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

bumped to next page again.

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #401
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Any work today?
Yes! a crap ton, see the above post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Done yet?
No. Gimmie two more weeks!

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #402
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Phew!!!!

This was a hell of a weekend, I can now say, that THIS is by far the MOST work I have ever done to a vehicle in my life.

Summary:
Pulled transmission and transfer case.
Separated trans and transfer case.
Cleaned up the transfer case a lil.
Removed EVERYTHING from the motor and prepped it 100% for removal (radiator, all accessories, exhaust manifolds are all off)
Installed the new steering gear box.

Started out be getting under and pulling off all the cables and linkages for the tranny/transfer case. Not much soing on down there. Pulled the exhaust and drive shafts as well.

Then I pulled the transmission cross member, while supporting the transfer case.

crossmember has what looks like 38 years of oil and dirt all caked onto it. Gross. needs a good cleaning. That electric fuel pump will be coming off as well, it was used to prime the mechanical pump from the auxiliary tank I figure.

Finally got the tranny out.

lots of stuff had to come out first though.

Front pump seal is leaky, which is why inside the bell housing was wet all the time (the ATF on the ground is not from the front pump, I'm just saying)

Woke up on sunday and decided to work some more. Got the tranny and t-case separated.

These things are freakin gross. Tranny will be hot tanked, but i started to clean up the t-case a little. Just sprayed it with degreaser and scraped it and hosed it off. no major improvement, but atleast it isnt greasy and slippery now.

Stuff was nasty under there. This is the transmission mount bracket.

think it was time for a new transmission mount?

My transmission cooler has seen better days, so I figure I'll either replace it or eliminate it.

One trick to an engine removal....it gets way easier with the hood out of the way!

built in hood storage

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #403
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

removed the Power steering pump and bracket, and set it to the side on the fender. Also the radiator is removed in this pic.

found a wasp nest on the engine....

And wellllll, here's a pleasant surprise! Turns out my engine has a 4barrel intake manifold! I'm not sure if its factory, but I know 4bbls were an option in the mid to late 70's, so it could be. either way, bonus!Sadly, this means my carb wont mate with the new motor, so I have a few options here.

got the AC bracket off and set aside with the compressor.

Since i did so much disassembly, I figured i would do something constructive as well. Replaced the steering gear box. That thing was a bear. It bolts to a bracket that bolts to the frame. There is 1 bolt you cannot access on the bracket....so you have to unbolt the whole thing from the frame, then remove the gear box from the bracket. Pain in the butt to get the splines lined up on the steering column again too! So, anyway, i got it in and its all bolted down, just doesnt have the hoses connected yet. that'll come later.

then, finally, removed the exhaust manifolds. Figured the smaller/lighter the engine, the easier it will be to pull.

Yeah, doesnt look like too much work when written out, but it took me two days. So, its ready to be pulled!

I found some interesting stuff.

This massive crack on my bellhousing that has been welded. Weird. Could have been from a bad tranny mount at some point I'm told.

Also, discovered my intake manifold is actually a 4barrel, not running an adapter like I thought. This means my carb wont bolt onto the new engine, so I may just swap the intakes. Not sure yet, but leaning that direction.

At least I have some motivation and constant reminders to get this crap finished. This is what I see when I walk into the garage to get in my car. At least its staring me in the face every day!!!

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #404
hoppa2k6

love this thread. love the wagons....so I've been watching the thread for the past few months (as a non-member...lol). finally chiming in.

Just thought I'd say I really like that photochop gixxerphil did...love the classic woody wagon look currently, but the black photochop shot looks bad azz.
hoppa2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #405
tj98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great work, really enjoying the build (re-build?). Before the replacement engine goes in I can see you spending at least one weekend cleaning and detailing that engine bay.
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.