I honestly never thought my jeep could look this nice without severe body work and a new paint job.
The pictures dont do it justice, unless you've seen it in person, but I can show some before and after shots, and comparison shots.
Here was my paint in the beginning. Very Oxidized and chalky. There was major color variance on each panel, some darker tan, some areas very light and as I said, chalky.
Also, brown paint instead of wood grain.
So, started the long arduous task of compounding the paint. Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and a 7" Sander/Polisher with a buffer pad...took the better part of 6 hours to complete.
A small before and after:
JC Whitney Wood grain:
Now, in the picture it looks like There are gaps in the woodgrain at the trim, but its actually just that the trim pieces have overspray all over them from whoever did this hellish paintjob. The truck has cracks, chips, drips, runs, and debris stuck in the paint all over it. But, it now looks seriously 100X better in person. I'm VERY pleased with the outcome.
After all that work and the woodgrain, I hand waxed it with Mothers Carnuba Wax, brought out the shine and should protect it well.
Look at that reflection!
And then, after a full weekend of hard work...I had to stick her back in her "home" at the stupid storage unit a few miles from my house...grumble grumble.
Now I need to get a car cover to keep it in good shape, I doubt the las vegas summer will be kind to it.
Alrighty, mostly small stuff this weekend since I was busy working around the house, but still fairly productive.
I drove it a lot, picked it up thursday night, drove all friday for work, ad all weekend, the weather was just so nice out I had to.
First, repaired my neutral safety switch. Now I have reverse lights! But, there was no wiring for the actual ignition cut off? So, it still starts in any gear. At least people will know when I'm in reverse now.
Wonder why this one didnt work?
Then I installed a super high quality custom built center console...oh wait. It was 7 bucks at autozone. Whatever, I was sick of having no spot for my coffee or drink, plus t has a pen holder and a bin for my cell phone and whatnot. I cut it to fit the tranny hump a little bit better, and then drilled and bolted it down.
Lastly, I went to work trying to mount my alternator on the new engine. Turns out I am missing parts for the bracket, AND it is a bracket for a sanden A/C compressor, not a york like i have in the truck now, and the truck i got the engine from had. So, not only is it missing parts, but it's useless unless i rig up a bunch of stuff for it. Looks fine, but it wont work once the AC compressor is in there
and stuff doesnt line up quire right:
Anyway, I SHOULD be able to use the old style mount and alternator from my current engine, its just less preferable.
Also, my headlights are back on the fritz, and I dont know why. Not nearly as bad as before, but something weird is going on. Oh well, bigger issues to deal with than that.
Should be starting the swap in two weeks! exciting!
That wax job was amazing. I wish it was able to do something for my jeep's paint job. I might try one day. Good luck on the transmission. I'm sure it will be a feat in and of itself.
you can do it to clear coat, if thats what oxidized. Just be careful and dont burn through it.
Watched a video of a complete teardown and rebuild of my tranny, took an expert about 2 hours overall (not counting cleaning parts) with explaining and showing every step. Looked straight forward/easy enough for the first timer. No special tools needed really. Easiest thing to mess up are the lip seals.
Not much in it yet...still to come are:
TH400 rebuild kit (returned to summit due to shipping issue)
D20 gasket kit (on order)
Motor mounts (being transfered from two different stores)
GM HEI ignition module w/ homebrew wiring.
and I THINK thats all I'll need to get this whole project under way.