Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSpartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!

Unread 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #376
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, yeah, all I can say is "wow"

I honestly never thought my jeep could look this nice without severe body work and a new paint job.

The pictures dont do it justice, unless you've seen it in person, but I can show some before and after shots, and comparison shots.

Here was my paint in the beginning. Very Oxidized and chalky. There was major color variance on each panel, some darker tan, some areas very light and as I said, chalky.

Also, brown paint instead of wood grain.

So, started the long arduous task of compounding the paint. Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and a 7" Sander/Polisher with a buffer pad...took the better part of 6 hours to complete.

Difference?

A small before and after:

JC Whitney Wood grain:

Now, in the picture it looks like There are gaps in the woodgrain at the trim, but its actually just that the trim pieces have overspray all over them from whoever did this hellish paintjob. The truck has cracks, chips, drips, runs, and debris stuck in the paint all over it. But, it now looks seriously 100X better in person. I'm VERY pleased with the outcome.

After all that work and the woodgrain, I hand waxed it with Mothers Carnuba Wax, brought out the shine and should protect it well.

Look at that reflection!

And then, after a full weekend of hard work...I had to stick her back in her "home" at the stupid storage unit a few miles from my house...grumble grumble.

Now I need to get a car cover to keep it in good shape, I doubt the las vegas summer will be kind to it.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #377
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alrighty, mostly small stuff this weekend since I was busy working around the house, but still fairly productive.

I drove it a lot, picked it up thursday night, drove all friday for work, ad all weekend, the weather was just so nice out I had to.

First, repaired my neutral safety switch. Now I have reverse lights! But, there was no wiring for the actual ignition cut off? So, it still starts in any gear. At least people will know when I'm in reverse now.

Wonder why this one didnt work?

Then I installed a super high quality custom built center console...oh wait. It was 7 bucks at autozone. Whatever, I was sick of having no spot for my coffee or drink, plus t has a pen holder and a bin for my cell phone and whatnot. I cut it to fit the tranny hump a little bit better, and then drilled and bolted it down.

Lastly, I went to work trying to mount my alternator on the new engine. Turns out I am missing parts for the bracket, AND it is a bracket for a sanden A/C compressor, not a york like i have in the truck now, and the truck i got the engine from had. So, not only is it missing parts, but it's useless unless i rig up a bunch of stuff for it. Looks fine, but it wont work once the AC compressor is in there

and stuff doesnt line up quire right:

Anyway, I SHOULD be able to use the old style mount and alternator from my current engine, its just less preferable.

Also, my headlights are back on the fritz, and I dont know why. Not nearly as bad as before, but something weird is going on. Oh well, bigger issues to deal with than that.

Should be starting the swap in two weeks! exciting!

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #378
ujehed
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i havent seen an alternator with real metal fins forever. all plastic junk now
ujehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #379
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujehed View Post
i havent seen an alternator with real metal fins forever. all plastic junk now
I havent seen one WITH plastic fins before.

Paint turned out nice Marn. We use 3M rubbing compound at the marine and it literally adds a grand or two to any boats value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #380
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, lets hope i'm not getting in over my head here...I just ordered one of these!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-705001/

and one of these!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3884/?rtype=10

My fluid pan has a rivet in it thats sealed with silicon from the inside? Also, it has no drain plug, which is a major PITA when its time to change the fluid.

Also ordered a new transmission mount, and an adapter so i can rig up a home-brew ignition system for the newer distributor on my new engine.

We're getting down to the wire here. Next weekend the transmission comes out at the very least.

Quote:

Unread 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #381
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That wax job was amazing. I wish it was able to do something for my jeep's paint job. I might try one day. Good luck on the transmission. I'm sure it will be a feat in and of itself.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #382
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
That wax job was amazing. I wish it was able to do something for my jeep's paint job. I might try one day. Good luck on the transmission. I'm sure it will be a feat in and of itself.
you can do it to clear coat, if thats what oxidized. Just be careful and dont burn through it.

Watched a video of a complete teardown and rebuild of my tranny, took an expert about 2 hours overall (not counting cleaning parts) with explaining and showing every step. Looked straight forward/easy enough for the first timer. No special tools needed really. Easiest thing to mess up are the lip seals.

Quote:

Unread 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #383
BLUZTJ

nice wagoneer you have there.
BLUZTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #384
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Built a pallet into an engine crate, worked awesome. didnt move an inch the whole 300 mile trip. Also helped that we had like 73 ratchet straps.

Pallets work almost as well as old racing tires!

Hope to see lots of pics when you tear down one of those 2 engines. The same is in store for me in about 3 years when I have a garage at my disposal.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #385
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
you can do it to clear coat, if thats what oxidized. Just be careful and dont burn through it.
I don't think it will help much on my hood. Notice the whitish line where the clear coat stops and starts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #386
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Pallets work almost as well as old racing tires!

Hope to see lots of pics when you tear down one of those 2 engines. The same is in store for me in about 3 years when I have a garage at my disposal.
haha, year, i was going to use an old tire, but didnt want to have the thing bouncing for the 300 mile trip.

Pallet was free? Sawzall was free? Screws were free?

Yes there will be pictures.

Swap process starts next weekend. THEN after that shiz is done, the rebuild will slowly begin.

Quote:

Unread 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #387
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Parts have arrived. :-)

Decided to order a few more things though.

Since everything is coming out, might as well take care of everything that is a problem, huh?

Transfer case gasket kit, motor mounts, and a new steering gear box.

This thing SHOULD be leak free when I'm done!

Quote:

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #388
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

The "new parts pile" has been started!

Not much in it yet...still to come are:
Torque converter
TH400 rebuild kit (returned to summit due to shipping issue)
D20 gasket kit (on order)
Motor mounts (being transfered from two different stores)
Thermostat
GM HEI ignition module w/ homebrew wiring.

and I THINK thats all I'll need to get this whole project under way.

Quote:

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #389
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Marn, your Jeep looks awesome!
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #390
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

thank you, sir.

Quote:

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.