Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #331
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

have fun with that one man haha i helped a buddy do a 5.2>5.9 swap in a dakota and then a 4.0>5.2 swap in a zj..they are fun but not if youre rushed and the vehicle is a DD haha.

and yeah i hear ya i use to feel that way about beating on my xj but it always seemed to run better after being beat on. ive just come to realize jeeps are just dirty little sluts

Unread 02-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #332
ujehed
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
have fun with that one man haha i helped a buddy do a 5.2>5.9 swap in a dakota and then a 4.0>5.2 swap in a zj..they are fun but not if youre rushed and the vehicle is a DD haha.

and yeah i hear ya i use to feel that way about beating on my xj but it always seemed to run better after being beat on. ive just come to realize jeeps are just dirty little sluts
Dirty little sluts, i like that
ujehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #333
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also made some progress on the engine this past weekend, even though it was very minor.

As you all know, I'm not planning to dig into this engine at all really, just wanna drop it in and rebuild my old motor.

The valve covers apparently were sealed by a blind man....so the whole engine is covered with oil that dripped from the top down. I started to clean it off.

Before....gross. Literally about 1/4" of caked on oil and crap in some spots.

Got 1 corner cleaned up, more or less.

gonna get the other side tonight, and do the valve covers/gaskets. Might do the oil pan gasket if it's arrived at autozone.

I'm contemplating repainting the thing while i have it out, but I'm not sure if I will. We'll see how clean I can get it.

Lastly, I'll report more on the condition of the engine when i pull the valve covers, but i think my oil smelled a bit like gas (fuel pump issue) and a few of the spark plugs were oily when i pulled them out.

It's probably getting old and worn out, but i was told it ran well and didnt noticably burn any oil or smoke or anything, so, some blow by doesn't worry me TOO much right now.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #334
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did the other front side of the engine tonight after work. Lots and Lots of degreaser, with lots and lots of paper towels.

Pulled the fuel pump (as you can see above), because my oil smelled a little gassy. Figured 23 bucks aint much to pay for peace of mind. While holding my finger over the inlet side, I could still pump the old one by hand, the new one seals up tight and wont let me pump it. Good! That'll go back on soon.

Poked at the timing chain and didnt feel much slop...Watched the rotor while I turned the harmonic balancer. Only about 5 degrees of reverse slack in the chain, which apparently isnt a bad thing. Guess it was probably swapped out at some point...

Cleaned up the t-stat housing quite a bit. I may just end up using the one from my old motor, because this one was ROUGH. I had to sand down alot of corrosion, and I'm not sure how well it'll seal. You can see the before shot in the above post. Also ran the bottom over some 400 grit to smooth it out and make a better mating surface.

Lastly, I pulled both valve covered, and cleaned off all the old gasket. Whoever worked on this thing before me was in love with silicone RTV. It's everywhere. On both sides of rubber and paper gaskets, all inside the thermostat, etc. This thing didnt seal worth a crap! I'll fix that.

Inspected all the rockers and bridges, everything was good and tight, no play in the rockers, and everything was clean, no sludge. Looks like it was kinda sorta cared for.

Anyway, cleaned all the caked on oil off of the valve covers too. I had some krylon wrinkle finish sitting around, and gave them a fresh coat of paint. Apparently wrinkle finish loses its ability to wrinkle after having sat around for a few years. I just did a few final dustings to give it some texture. Starting to look cleaner every day.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 02-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #335
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good. You just gonna rebuild the old motor back to stock or are you gonna do a lil something to it?

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #336
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Lookin good. You just gonna rebuild the old motor back to stock or are you gonna do a lil something to it?
I dunno yet, and I dunno when.

After I get the mew (87) motor into the truck, I'll assess my desire/funds to rebuild the old (73ish) motor. I'd LIKE to build it to be slightly better than stock, but dont feel like punching it out .030 unless it has to, and dont really wanna go with any crazy pistons or crank, etc.

The main thing is selling how long the 87 motor will last me I guess. As mentioned, 4 or so of the spark plugs were oily.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #337
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Should i paint the engine? Or is it not worth it on something like this? i could pick up a few cans of blue and go at it...or i can leave it rusty/black.

Whatcha all think?

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #338
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since it's sitting on a stand in front of you just go ahead and make it happen. That jump was pretty gnarly.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #339
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Since it's sitting on a stand in front of you just go ahead and make it happen. That jump was pretty gnarly.
gnarly in an awesome way!

I'm thinking a quick and dirty paint job wont hurt. Its obvioulsy not getting tanked or seriously cleaned, so....it aint gonna be the best job. Whatever, i hardly cleaned the valve covers and they came out nice.

At least after paint it'll look like i rebuilt it

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #340
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Before...

After

I havent painted the intake manifold yet, because its in such gross shape (rusty, dusty, oily, flaky, cakey, etc). Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I'll have the ambition to tackle that. So the oil fill tube and everything wil be painted eventually. Maybe that should be black as well, might look nice.

I think I like having the valve covers black.

It doesnt look too bad....i mean, its a textured metal surface with crust and rust and flakes under it, but its probably the worst paintjob I've ever done on anything. It'll look good under a hood though.

Oh and..I think it's a chevy blue or something. It looks way different blue in the pic than it really is, but I got the closest to amc blue I could find. Or, well, the closest to the google image search results for "amc blue"

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #341
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

almost there....

now...to paint up the air cleaner to match!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #342
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Motor is lookin snazzy! I like that color combo. A chrome air cleaner would really look good

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 02-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #343
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Motor is lookin snazzy! I like that color combo. A chrome air cleaner would really look good
I've got an edelbrock pro-flow on the engine in the truck right now...but its a foam filter.

I'm thinking I'll just paint the stock air cleaner back to black, with some blue accents.

This motor is not nice, nor is it new...so i put absolutely minimal effort into painting it and cleaning it, but it looks about 1000x better than when I got it.

Its a super wrong blue, but i dont really car. AMC blue needs to be special ordered these days. It's just a chevy blue from auto zone. Better than "nasty oil caked black" that Chrysler provided me with.

Who the hell paints an engine black anyway? Have fun finding out if its leaking and where its leaking from.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #344
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wrong blue or not, It looks good. I was actually trying to talk my buddy into painting his 350 block that color instead of the ugly orange he wanted. I agree, it looks TONS better than when you first got it, old or not, it looks good.

I think painting it black was some sort of strategy on chryslers part for more service requests haha.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #345
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Wrong blue or not, It looks good. I was actually trying to talk my buddy into painting his 350 block that color instead of the ugly orange he wanted. I agree, it looks TONS better than when you first got it, old or not, it looks good.

I think painting it black was some sort of strategy on chryslers part for more service requests haha.
Not only that, but a black engine makes for a super dark engine bay, hard to work in there without a ton of light.

The engine thats in my truck right now is chevy orange...but its an old AMC 360.....which is supposedly original....

Explain that one?

It's obviously been out of the truck at some point in its life, worked on to some extend, repainted orange, and dropped in. I doubt its the original motor. 74 was the first year of bridged rockers...and the engine in my 73 has bridged rockers? Not to mantion no "360" or "V8" badges anywhere on the body.

Hmm, oh well.

New 360 goes in, old one comes out and gets rebuilt.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.