Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #286
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Little by little. I'm notgoing for a full restoration, but I'd like to get everything looking better/functioning better when and where possible.

I still miss your cherokee...so sad.

Thanks for all the parts man! I made use of the switch and the gauges, probably cant use the window cranks (wrong style) though. Sad! We'll see about getting the glvoe box in as well.
shes still around man. its getting some armor stripped off to pay for a DD but for the mean time, its going to my gf's dads place and getting a cage, axles locked and some other junk to it and getting painted and used as a trail rig so its not dead yet

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #287
skydizzle
2004 LJ Wrangler 

every time i look at this thread it makes me sad and miss my old waggy. Yours is lookin amazing man!
94 XJ
skydizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #288
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
Looks good and probably more solid now.

I know what you mean about previous owners and their "idea" of wiring. I had such a mess in my 77 GMC after 2 dash fires I gutted it out completely and got a EZ kit. I couldnt even understand what they guy was trying to do under there but there was a TON of extra blue wires and electrical tape. All blue wire, he must have got a deal on blue wire and electrical tape. I even found a wire come off the cold side of a fuse slot and screwed to the firewall WTF?

Makes you wish you had a "previous owner seeking missile".
hahaha, all mine seems to be blue as well. Did you see the pictures a ways back that showed under my dash, and under my hood?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #289
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Lately I've noticed that my starter is starting (haHA!) to go out. Once the truck is warmed up, it works super hard to turn over once or twice, then eventually starts turning.

wr.....wwwwrrrrrr.....wwwwwrrrrrrrrrrr....wwwrrrrr rrrrrrr......wrrwrrwrrwrrwrrrVROOM.

Today was pretty bad, must have tried for about 15 seconds before it could make a full turn, this is after the thing was warmed up and whatnot. I guess my starter doesnt like getting hot.

So, got a new one being delivered to autozone tomorrow. I dunno how I'm gonna be able to afford this repair, it was all of 40 bucks, haha.

Details after it's replaced.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #290
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

What?

Unread 01-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #291
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, yeah those Titans are so similar to Waggys......
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #292
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I got the new starter in. Hot dang, it cranks like a champ now! Way faster with more ease. I suppose thats good. Not bad for 40 bucks, and it was probably the fastest repair i've ever done, took like 20 minutes, including getting out the tools.

Unread 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #293
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just read through the whole thing. It looks good Dr. Marn!
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #294
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn View Post
Just read through the whole thing. It looks good Dr. Marn!
Thanks! Hopefully its lookin better with each step I take. I havent been driving too much because I still havent had time to tear into the motor and see whats up with the noises.

Anyway...

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #295
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

New starter vs. the old...

new one went in easy peasy.

Well, the next morning I came out to see this:

Note the clean red liquid along the seal? Yeah, seems to be leaking out the side of the gasket.

I was tired of seeing tranny fluid on the ground every morning, so decided to take action. Went and bought a new filter/gasket and 6 quarts of ATF +4.....and got ready to make a huge mess.

Drained the tranny, and cleaned everything up. Why there is no drain plug is beyond me...(yes, those are christmas lights)

the mating surface on the pan seemed fine, i cleaned it up a little and cleaned out the pan/removed the crap from the magnets. The old filter had no filter material in it...and was pretty gray with stuff...

new...

buttoned it up....all nice and clean.

Went for a spin, parked it and went to bed. This morning I looked under the truck and.....

Tranny fluid on the ground.

Son of a b.....there wasnt THAT much, but still, this is frustrating. I checked the pan bolts, and several of them seemed looser than I left them. I have made absolutely sure not to over tighten them, as I dont want to smoosh the gasket, but they seemed less tight than i made them, so i snugged a few of them up, and we'll see where that gets me.

the fluid seemed to be leaking along the edge of the pan, as before. The bolt heads were dryish, no drips pooling on them, so, i think it just wasnt tight enough.

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #296
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

also, i just realized that this weekend i replaced:

a ford starter
a GM gasket and filter
and used Chrysler tranny fluid...

all to spec, all on a Jeep, made by AMC.

Unread 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #297
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Grrr...tranny leak is still just as bad, this is starting to irritate me!

Unread 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #298
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well....didnt really do much to the beast this weekend, but I did purchase something with intent to use it very soon....VERY soon....very very soon. Much sooner than I had ever anticipated.

Hmmmm, I wonder what I could possibly want this item for? OR what I will be using it for....

Stay tuned this coming weekend for a thrilling conclusion....if all goes as planned.

Unread 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #299
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome awesome awesome engine stand. I'm assuming it rotates as well? Built 360 with 2 4 barrel carbs and double pumper. Make it scream down the road. with full 3'' true dual exhaust.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #300
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am quietly following along with dreams of one day doing my own Waggy rebuild. But I think I need to wait until I can get some more time and a dedicated garage stall for a full-on frame-off restoration. Maybe after I retire from the Army in 7ish years. Until then, I'll just follow your build.

BTW, great job!
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.