Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #271
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I think its just some of the pictures. In all the pictures I believe my wheels are turned to driver a bit.

However, my steering wheel isnt quite as straight anymore, so, i coulda rattled myself out of alignment on that trip. I'll probably take it in for an alignment at some point. Dont wanna eat up those KM2's

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #272
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
IIRC, none of then had D30's. Driver or passenger side drop low pinion 44's depending on the year.

I could be wrong, but it doesnt look like a D44 to me. It's not "tall" or "pointy" enough.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 12-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #273
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I think its just some of the pictures. In all the pictures I believe my wheels are turned to driver a bit.

However, my steering wheel isnt quite as straight anymore, so, i coulda rattled myself out of alignment on that trip. I'll probably take it in for an alignment at some point. Dont wanna eat up those KM2's
Yeah, it's more than likely just the pictures.

I am a freak about aligning my TJ all the time. I also don't want to eat up my KM2's.
Jetscuh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #274
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I could be wrong, but it doesnt look like a D44 to me. It's not "tall" or "pointy" enough.
Just did some research and you might be right, I had no idea. D30's from '71 to '73.
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #275
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Just did some research and you might be right, I had no idea.
Yah, i double checked with some folks. They ditched the closed knuckles in 74 if memory serves. And prior to that they were D30 and D27's.

It's def not a D44, it's a D30.

Unread 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #276
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would give you the 360 in my cherokee but vegas is a long ways away.

Also I have NO idea on its condition I bought the whole thing for parts no questions asked, no title, no story.

another note. I would part this cherokee out so if you need anything that is a more shippable size let me know. Years are differnt and this one is a cherokee but Im sure most the parts would interchange.
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #277
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
I would give you the 360 in my cherokee but vegas is a long ways away.

Also I have NO idea on its condition I bought the whole thing for parts no questions asked, no title, no story.

another note. I would part this cherokee out so if you need anything that is a more shippable size let me know. Years are differnt and this one is a cherokee but Im sure most the parts would interchange.
How's the interior on the cherokee? There are a few little things I could make use of, and would be glad to buy from you.

Thanks for the offer on the motor though. But yeah, 8 hours is a long drive, haha.

Unread 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #278
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks to a kind and generous jeeper, I should have some new-to-me parts coming in for the FSJ shortly. Woohoo!

Unread 12-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #279
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, thanks to a kind FSJer here on JF I have a few updates, albeit small ones.

My crappy dash always bugged me, so did my broken tailgate switch, and a few other nagging little things. Well I got a bunch of goodies from an 83 Wagoneer!

New to me parts:

The biggest goal I had was getting a dash cluster that was in better condition. As you can see, mine is cracked, missing a corner, missing some glass, and has seen better days. The back screw holes on my dash (where the gauges mount to the plastic) are also cracked and broken, so, its not held together very well.

Took apart the newer dash and cleaned everything up, then used a bit of PlastX to refinish the lenses. Worked good, I think you can see a difference, left hand one is polished, right side is not.

Put it all together and cleaned up the cluster overall (had to get rid of the mouse poop....yes...there was mouse poop.

Went from what you saw up top to this:

Now, I'm not going to use the actual gauges, just plan to use the housing. The gauges are a little different looking, it's got a 7 digit odometer, etc. Also, the Heating controls will be the original ones, as I already cleaned mine up and got them functioning perfectly. Good news is I now have a spare of all the instrument cluster stuff.

Also, got my hands on a tailgate and defrost switch. I dont have a defroster, but the switches are the same, so now I have a spare tailgate switch! woo! I'm glad for that, as I've never seen a new one for sale. I was previously using the toggle switch next to it to control the tail gate, now I have a spot for some sort of switch in the future, lights or something.

I havent tried to install the cardboard glove box yet, and I havent put the gauges in yet. I'll do that tomorrow I suppose.

Unread 12-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #280
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

love how you are restoring this yet using it too. i really like how its all coming together..mad props man
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #281
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That cleaned up great cant wait to see it installed!
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #282
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
love how you are restoring this yet using it too. i really like how its all coming together..mad props man
Little by little. I'm notgoing for a full restoration, but I'd like to get everything looking better/functioning better when and where possible.

I still miss your cherokee...so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
That cleaned up great cant wait to see it installed!
Thanks for all the parts man! I made use of the switch and the gauges, probably cant use the window cranks (wrong style) though. Sad! We'll see about getting the glvoe box in as well.

Unread 12-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #283
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

OH and...my headlights are on the fritz again. Everything but my low beams work fine. All interior lights, exterior lights work, and high beams work, but no low beams. Wtf. They will eventually come on if I wait or fiddle with switches, but I havent found anything that consistently triggers them to come on, and once on, they dont flicker.

I already tried the dimmer.

Unread 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #284
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Allllllrighty! More updates.

My tranny seems to be leaking like a sive these days, and so does my steering box. I should probably just throw a new one on there.

Anyway, I got my lights fixed. Tried replacing the dimmer, no luck. Tried replacing the switch, no luck (I had extras laying around from my last battle with this). Then I tore apart the lights to see if there was an issue in there. Cleaned up my grounds, and tested some stuff, but no luck still. Sigh.

Finally went to the wireing harness on the firewall, unbolted it (noticed it was a little loose), inspected it, and then put it back together, making sure it was right. Viola, headlights!

So sad looking...

Then I got all the switches sorted out and reinstalled, and put the dash back into the jeep. Looks pretty dang good to me. Thanks again to blazer for the parts!

I started out with 2 different dash clusters... a 1973 and a 1983.

Broke down both of them, as noted above, and got the 83 cleaned up. I cleaned up the gauges and connections on my old one, removed them, and installed them all on the housing from the 83. So, the result is what you see below.

Woo! Everything works!

I also cleaned up the connections and reconnected my ammeter. Hopefully it wont light my jeep on fire like everyone seems to think they do.

Finally moved on to my favorite activity...removing useless **** installed by the owners past. Here's the pile of crap and wires I pulled off the wag. The less wires under my hood the happier I am.

Yes, it's all useless crap. Alot of the wiring is for the electronic trailer brake, which will come out eventually (whenever I feel like bleeding the brakes).

This little fuse block/bridge thingy provided power for a few un-needed accessories (trailer brake included). It was hooked to the alt, then had the accessories attached. Well, last wheeling trip it got covered with antifreeze because my overfow tank spilled onto it due to bumpy contidions...I noticed it was all covered in corrision...didnt look too happy inside.

Among the pile was also the windshield washer fluid pump (i took the resivior out ages ago) and some other crap.

So, my goal is to get all the wiring out for the old trailer brake/lights, and just install a 4 pin harness. I was looking, and well...just like all the other wireing on this thing it was a rats nest. Looks like there have been SEVERAL trailer harnesses installed at some point in time. gross. Gonna hav to get that figured out eventually.
'

So, she goes back in storage now! Had a nice weekend working on it.

Unread 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #285
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good and probably more solid now.

I know what you mean about previous owners and their "idea" of wiring. I had such a mess in my 77 GMC after 2 dash fires I gutted it out completely and got a EZ kit. I couldnt even understand what they guy was trying to do under there but there was a TON of extra blue wires and electrical tape. All blue wire, he must have got a deal on blue wire and electrical tape. I even found a wire come off the cold side of a fuse slot and screwed to the firewall WTF?

Makes you wish you had a "previous owner seeking missile".

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.