Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #256
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Why not just yank the motor out of ur waggy and build that up? Its a 360 right? Or just find a 440 big block and go balls to the wall. Those engine compartments are huge.
I dont have anywhere to keep a truck with no motor. Hence the wanting to rebuild one.

Also, even in storage, I cannot have an unregistered vehicle sitting somewhere. and with no motor, I cant register it.

So, If I had a full garage, i could have an empty truck, but I dont, it needs to live in a storage spot, so, motor has to stay in.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #257
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

oh man...if only i had a bigger spot to keep this....perfect parts truck. 360 to rebuild, newish tranny, better front axle, interior parts, etc. then scrap it!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2084222398.html

God, cities suck! Why cant i park on the street.

I've actually been contemplating hanging a paper on the mailbox stands on my street, asking if someone would rent me a garage spot. I'd gladly pay more for someone's 3rd car garage if it meant my truck was just down the street and i could access it.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #258
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

man I know what you mean. This old man down my street has a early 80's grand wagoneer I want to pick up for the motor and trans.... or possible make a trail beater out of it! However my mom would kill me as I recently picked up a 94 ZJ to fix up, and I have my XJ, my sisters WJ getting a lift put on, and my dads TJ.

Maybe I could hide the Waggy behind my garage

Edit: BTW I see you on IFSJA quite a bit. I have the same name there and I have a '91 Grand Wagoneer.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #259
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Oh nice, Did you pick up that one that was like brand new? Thats like the cleanest waggy I've ever seen! And hunter green....

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #260
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

First update in a while. Did a few things to the jeep today, but sadly they are all small and boring.

Finally wired up my voltmeter. I figure I should keep an eye on the electrical system. ~13 volts when idling in the garage. ~11 when turned off.

New sticker...

I also tightened down my tranny pan bolts, I have a feeling thats where a lot of my leakage was coming from, but who knows.

Checked all my fluid levels, in preparation for a wheelin trip tomorrow.

Installed a receiver shackle, but no pics.

Picked up a tow strap as well.

Lastly, I installed a little holiday cheer!

I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty nice having a utility vehicle, even if i have to get it out of storage when I want something. I wouldnt have been able to get a tree without it! Made the jeep smell like christmas, which almost...ALMOST overpowered the stink of all my exhaust sucking in through the rear window.

Unread 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #261
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Took a trip with a few folks up the Mormon Well road today. 47 miles of back country road behind the mountains north of vegas. We even found a little bit of snow.

Nice trip, but super bumpy road, and on leaf springs...well...yikes!! Probably a 100 mile round trip today, the furthest I've ever had the jeep away from Vegas.

anyway, pictures.

Unread 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #262
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Man I wish I lived out west! Ya'll have some awesome looking mountains and valleys!
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #263
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

O and looks like you where the only one out there rocking the passenger side drop!
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #264
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I was, for sure! It's funny, we all were running D30 front ends though.

Not only was I the only passenger drop, but also the only closed knuckle...haha, but there havent been any of those in ages.

Unread 12-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #265
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

nice. ive been slowly building a 360 magnum for my ZJ for a while. ive got the entire bottom end assembled, new everything, kb flat tops, i beam rods, used scat forged crank(i love craigslist), and a hughes cam. all thats left is the heads. waitin on the tax return for that. i estimate 320/430 when done since the cam is more for low end torque.

good luck on your build, good to see people building their own rather than buying a crate motor.
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #266
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool waggy and nice progress fixing up a almost 40 year old truck.

I loved my 86 Grand wagoneer It had a rebuilt 401 with some umph to it. The only thing I really didnt like was the painfully small rear wheel wells. At the time I had 2" add a leafs and a 3" body lift and ran 33x9.5x15s on stock chevy rally wheels. I could literally stuff the rear tires to the point the tire wouldn't turn. That was after trimming them to the door openings too. Some times getting twisty it would just drag the stuffed tire until it articulated enough to free it up.

Cost wise building a 401 would be about the same price but it may be a little more difficult to find a rebuild-able 401. However I would suggest you keep your eyes open for one. The 401's have phenomenal low end torque. I was gettin 14-15MPG to boot. Not great MPG but considering it was a heavy rig and a built 401 I thought it was doing great!

Keep up the good work and TLC.

Oh yea here's a pic of my FSJ's
71 gladiator J4000 (J4800 1 ton rated)

and my parts rig 83? cherokee
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #267
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I was, for sure! It's funny, we all were running D30 front ends though.

Not only was I the only passenger drop, but also the only closed knuckle...haha, but there havent been any of those in ages.
I didn't know the waggy's came with d30's I thought they where all d44 fronts. Learned something new.
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #268
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, A 401 would be nice, but as mentioned, they are super hard to find. Getting rarer and rarer as the days go on.

I dont even know where to find an AMC 360! I guess I should start looking for one....but i'm probably gonna tear into my motor after christmas to see if i cant keep it going a bit longer.

And again, rebuilding my own 360 is not an option.

Unread 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #269
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
I didn't know the waggy's came with d30's I thought they where all d44 fronts. Learned something new.
IIRC, none of then had D30's. Driver or passenger side drop low pinion 44's depending on the year.
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #270
Jetscuh
O rly?

One of our J10's has a 401. I was surprised about that actually.

It looks like you had some very nice scenery on your wheeling trip.

Is your front end toed in a bit? Maybe it's just me or some of the pics.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.