Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #226
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Then on sunday (halloween) i got everything ready to go to my buddy's birthday party. I was on my way to grab a keg and stopped at another friends house. He walked outside to his driveway and asked "what's leaking?"

Well well well, there was a puddle under the jeep and it was pissing coolant all over the concrete. GREAT! I was only a few miles from home so i hopped in considering it was only a small steam/drip leaking out. Kept my eyes glued to the temp gauge, it never overheated (stayed at 200 or 195), never stalled, never died, nothing. Got it home and threw a bucket under it, then took the magnum to get the beer.

Here's what i found...it's just a small pinhole, but seeing as I live in las vegas i figure a new radiator might be a good idea. This one is 37 years old, has 37 years worth of deposits in it im sure, and one of the brackets on one side had separated a while ago.

just a small leak.

So, I'm ordering up an ebay aluminum radiator as a replacement.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #227
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah time for a new rad. How do the hoses look, are they the factory ones still? Might as well replace them if you'll have the whole rad out already.

I should also have changed my t-stat housing and t-stat to high-flow units when I did mine, but it's on my list.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
VegasMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #228
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

The hoses are fine from what I can tell, I've had a few of them on an off when I did the t-stat. I'm gonna drop in a 185 degree I figure since i need to re-seal it anyway (seepy housing).

and dont worry sir, you'll be the first person I call if I need an extra set of hands, haha. I wanna get it in before next weekend. Going to order one tonight.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #229
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Holy crap! I paypaled the guy on wednesday at like 6am....the radiator arrived on thursday at like noon. Hot damn, now thats service!

I got the old radiator out, broke off a tranny cooler hose fitting, so I need to grab another before i can continue.

No big deal, should be a 5 dollar fitting.

Pics and more info on the radiator on saturday when I complete the install.

Unread 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #230
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, got the radiator in! Wooooowie!

I also installed a new thermostat, 180 degrees, as it never gets very cold here, but it DOES get very hot. I know a thermostat doesnt necessarly affect peak temperature, but it will open sooner, thus allowing the radiator to work sooner, keeping the engine at a cooler temperature...

What a difference!

I couldnt get the new radiator and fan shroud in the jeep with the fan and clutch still attached, so out they came. Lotsa room in there with no fan!

The hoses for the auxilary tranny cooler were all cracked and I actually broke off one of the fittings on one trying to remove it. So, picked up some Tranny cooler adapter fittings, and went to home depo and picked up some 3/8ths barb fittings from the plumbing section, grabbed some new hose, and went to work.

The new lines are much more secure, not seepy, not cracked, and I shortened the lines to the auxilary cooler so they dont dangle now. Some of the above can be seen here.

Well ,finished product!

So, overall impressions: This chinese Silla Radiator is pretty good. It looked constructed well and there was no samage or issues when it arrived (some people seem to have issues when they arrive). It went in and fit just perfect. I had to wiggle it a little bit to get the holes to line up, but nothing had to be drilled or anything.

Well, I took it on a drive tonight, and the results were awesome.

I let it warm up and burped the radiator. I drove a few miles on surface streets, and the truck didnt even touch 190 degrees. It used to run at 205 or 210 under normal traffic or highway conditions. Cooler engine = cooler oil. This has slightly raised my oil pressure!!! Bonus!

Unread 11-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #231
Douglas S.

If your engine doesn't heat up to the proper temp, you can expect some terrible fuel mileage.
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #232
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It already gets terrible fuel mileage, haha.

When it's warmed up to 185-190ish its at low idle and everything. We'll see how it goes, I might drive it this week.

Unread 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #233
That1guy
2007 WK 

So awesome
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #234
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Been driving it a bit, drove it all day for work on Monday. Got the same fuel economy it seems. 10 or less. Hard to calculate when its impossible to fill the gas tank, haha.

Unread 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #235
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Been driving it a bit, drove it all day for work on Monday. Got the same fuel economy it seems. 10 or less. Hard to calculate when its impossible to fill the gas tank, haha.
I know the feeling. When both my vehicles were out of play for a while, i had to borrow my dads 2500 cummins, i hit $90 and gave up on trying to fill it up.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #236
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hahaha, It's not that it's too big. Stock tank is 21 gallons, i THINK my tank is 17ish. Atleast I was running on fumes it seemed, and I filled up to 17 gallons, then poured about a gallon out the side of the jeep onto the pavement....so I figure its a 17 gallon tank, haha. 170 miles per tank, woo!

When the magnum was out of commission I drove the waggy for 2.5 weeks. Put over 750 miles on it mostly for work. 75+ Gallons of gas...thank god I dont pay a cent for fuel. I feel bad for my boss though.

Unread 11-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #237
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Hahaha, It's not that it's too big. Stock tank is 21 gallons, i THINK my tank is 17ish. Atleast I was running on fumes it seemed, and I filled up to 17 gallons, then poured about a gallon out the side of the jeep onto the pavement....so I figure its a 17 gallon tank, haha. 170 miles per tank, woo!

When the magnum was out of commission I drove the waggy for 2.5 weeks. Put over 750 miles on it mostly for work. 75+ Gallons of gas...thank god I dont pay a cent for fuel. I feel bad for my boss though.
Congrats on the V8 from 1973 getting 170+ MPG. I get ~270 in my XJ And that's if it's all highway.

Heep's lookin' good!
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #238
ujehed
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
Congrats on the V8 from 1973 getting 170+ MPG. I get ~270 in my XJ And that's if it's all highway.

Heep's lookin' good!
You have to admit this post made you giggle
ujehed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #239
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just a little eye candy....

I went shooting a few weeks ago, and my photographer buddy just happened to be doing a desert shoot with an NSX just down the road. He passed me on the highway with a camera hanging out the window.

One of the more epic shots of the jeep thus far....And this was all done at 70mph, haha.

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #240
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now that is an amazing shot.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.