Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #181
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, I'm just reviewing some pictures....FSJ's and leaf sprung vehicles in general are a LITTLE different than my old coil spring TJ.

Mad Flex yo!

this was stuffed and rubbing...

And here is what I am used to...(same trail with my old TJ)

Yeah, its totally a horse of a different color....but...I think I love it even more than the TJ because it's so massive.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #182
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So I'm actually daily driving this thing until my car is out of the body shop...this could get expensive...

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #183
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make the other ins. company pay. They are entitled to pay for a rental while yours is getting fixed... gas for a more fuel expensive vehicle is probably cheaper than a rental... I can't believe you fo through $30/day in gas extra.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #184
Jetscuh
O rly?

The J10's show some nice flex on the trail. They are both spring over so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #185
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
The J10's show some nice flex on the trail. They are both spring over so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Probably...

Lol, I like it though. No flex and a heavy rig....this thing never spins the wheels or anything, its so different than my TJ.

Anyway, my noise is coming back and louder than ever, I dunno what to do.

Quote:

Unread 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #186
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Probably...

Lol, I like it though. No flex and a heavy rig....this thing never spins the wheels or anything, its so different than my TJ.

Anyway, my noise is coming back and louder than ever, I dunno what to do.
What to do?

Pay for shipping and ship it to MA?

I promise that I will refund you your money and return the vehicle. I just have to get some more money from my Nigerian uncle.

I assume you're talking about your engine noise again?

I'd probably get toward the area you suspect the noise is coming from and start tearing it apart. Really go through every component and notice it's condition and placement. There is always taking it to a shop if you feel that this problem and it's fixing is beyond your skill level.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #187
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just now catching the updates to your build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
No flex and a heavy rig....this thing never spins the wheels or anything...
I can vouch for that. I don't think you lost traction at any point during the run. And that V8 has PLENTY of get-up-and-go.

Oh, I noticed you had a Skyjacker steering stabilizer on your old TJ, how did you like it? My factory SS is shot and I was thinking of going with either that or OME.
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
VegasMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #188
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
I assume you're talking about your engine noise again?

I'd probably get toward the area you suspect the noise is coming from and start tearing it apart. Really go through every component and notice it's condition and placement. There is always taking it to a shop if you feel that this problem and it's fixing is beyond your skill level.
Gonna check for exhaust leaks, and probably just replace the manifold gaskets. I've heard some exhaust leaks you'd SWEAR were valvetrain issues, and alot of people on IFSJA are telling me they can sound so much like an internal engine problem it'll drive you nuts.

I figure for 10 bucks in parts and an hour or 3 of my time, its worth a try. Old gaskets are oil soaked anyway from leaks that I fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
Just now catching the updates to your build thread.

I can vouch for that. I don't think you lost traction at any point during the run. And that V8 has PLENTY of get-up-and-go.

Oh, I noticed you had a Skyjacker steering stabilizer on your old TJ, how did you like it? My factory SS is shot and I was thinking of going with either that or OME.
It was fine, I installed it because my stock one was all seepy. It didn't really change handling or anything, I just wanted to know it was good to go. It was way beefier than stock, install took all of 10 min on my rusty TJ. I think it was just the cheapest one I could find? They're all the same.

Quote:

Unread 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #189
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Replaced my exhaust gaskets this weekend in the hopes that that was something contributing to my noises...

Well, it wasn't, but at least I got them replaced. My old ones were all soaked with oil anyway from old valve cover leaks that I have since taken care of, so....new gaskets weren't a bad idea anyway.

Old vs. new

This one isnt bad, but the rear gasket from both sides of the motor were wet with oil when I took them out.

On a side note...it's alot easier to remove and install these 3 part gaskets if you leave 1 bolt in the manifold to hold it in place. I left a middle bolt in, then removed the two end gaskets, slipped in the new ones (you have about 1/2" clearance) and the bolts all lined right back up, then replaced the middle one. Kept me from having to lift everything abck into place. Those cast iron suckers are a bit heavy.

Also, fixed my CB antenna mount. I was mounted all crooked and wobbled on the highway. I adjusted the set screws and applied locktite...hopefully that'll do it this time. It leans in alot closer to the truck now and feels alot more sturdy.

Quote:

Unread 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #190
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Drivetrain noise is getting worse it seems...

I was laying under the jeep with it idling today, and someone might as well have been tapping on the engine with a hammer, it was so loud from the front, but I'm still having a hell of a time isolating it. The best area I could hear it was right behind the harmonic ballancer on the bottom side of the motor.

Here's a video.

It will come and go....but when it comes this noise is super consistant. taptaptaptap as you can hear. Within a few seconds after that video the sound had all but dissappeared. Then came back a minute or 3 later.

It doesnt sound too loud in the video (not how quiet the fan wind is), but in real life it was much louder. Its not hollow sounding, its not a thud or anything, its a tapping. Not a ping, just a "tap." I'm scared...and confused...but both of those emotions exacerbate the other.

Quote:

Unread 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #191
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time to rebuild the motor and bore it out muhaha. Tranny rebuild too with a shift kit! How much lift do you got?
MountainMan864 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #192
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like a timing chain tapping the cover. Have you removed the cover to check the slack in it?
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #193
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UABYJ94 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like a timing chain tapping the cover. Have you removed the cover to check the slack in it?
why no...I havent!

Quote:

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #194
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I just finished reading the whole thread and now need a nap.
Kidin,,, you said you got alot of the ticking out with the re-torque of the rockers but this wsa different and behind the harmonic balancer. Leads me to believe it's slack in the timing chain slapping the cover. Samething we go thru in our YJ's.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #195
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UABYJ94 View Post
Ok I just finished reading the whole thread and now need a nap.
Kidin,,, you said you got alot of the ticking out with the re-torque of the rockers but this wsa different and behind the harmonic balancer. Leads me to believe it's slack in the timing chain slapping the cover. Samething we go thru in our YJ's.

No, I got rid of no ticking by re-torquing the rockers. I didnt re-torque many of them because i didn't wanna bend the bridges.

I'm gonna check for slack this weekend. Pull the dist cap, turn the motor at the balancer until the rotor turns, then it in the opposite direction and see how much play there is before the rotor turns again....maybe gonna check the fuel pump as well....sigh. I'm so frustrated.

Quote:

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.