Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #151
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Alrighty, also tore into the dash today for a few reasons. I bypassed the ammeter and also tried to clean everything up in an effort to correct my headlight issue. I couldnt find much wrong back there, but cleaned it all up and replaced a light bulb or 2.

I also replaced all the vacuum lines for the heater control. Even though it doesnt matter...but you'll see why in a min.

But anyway, got it cleaned up back there and didn't see any major issues on the inside of the firewall, and i fixed my emergency brake light too! Go me! So, I was productive and at least learned a ton today. Here's some more pictures.

Rates nest...no literally, there were pieces of terry cloth and leaves and stuff on top of the steering column. Something was living in my jeep. I've found the same terry cloth in the headliner with a ton of twigs and stuff.

The almighty FSJ instrument panel

pretty simple, i can actually follow the circuitry haha.

heater controls, kinda cool how it all works

Bad vacuum lines

Not that it matters that i replaced those vacuum lines... This duct wasnt even connected to the defroster vent, but i think that was the least of its problems. haha.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #152
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alright. Well I just learned of another style of rockers. Those you just torque to the 19 ft lbs and call it good.

Another reason you could be having problems there is you don't have enough oil pressure. I know you've been fighting problems with it. Do you have an actual oil pressure gauge on it?
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #153
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Alright. Well I just learned of another style of rockers. Those you just torque to the 19 ft lbs and call it good.

Another reason you could be having problems there is you don't have enough oil pressure. I know you've been fighting problems with it. Do you have an actual oil pressure gauge on it?
Yes, and my pressure blows ***. Idles around 12-15, when cruising while heated up its around 25 or 30 I think.

However, everything seemed plenty oily to me!

I might eventually rebuild my oil pump (huge PITA it seems) but who knows. maybe just rebuild the entire damn motor so I can paint it the right color! (wrong color...another reason I think it's been rebuilt...no one pulls a motor just to paint it)

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #154
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You should have at least 25-30 all the time. Does the noise go away when it's warmed up and the pressure is higher?

You can see if you can find some stock specs for the parts in the motor and see what yours compares at.
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #155
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I know my pressure sucks, but its okay.

No, when the truck starts i have close to 60 PSI, and it still makes the noise. when The truck is hot and idling (read: lowest pressure) is when it makes the LEAST noise. If i park it in the driveway and let it idle it sounds perfecto. No noise hardly at all.

The noise comes in at higher RPM's, like when driving. The only times i can really hear it though (due to road noise) is when it high idles on a cold start. or I sit there revving it by hand. Weird, huh?

I'm pretty sure its the rockers, as it clatters when i let off the throttle, and the clatter is super audible from the top of the engine...and thats exactly what it sounds like when i wiggle it by hand.

As mentioned earlier, i think i'm hearing a few different sounds and this is just one of them.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #156
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Huh, weird is right.

Well, at least we know you need new rockers. That's a fact, because they shouldn't click like that.

Other then that? Who knows.
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #157
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Apparently they DO click like that.

I guess it's normal unless they are under tension (push rod = up) for them to wiggle a bit like that.

Next time i have a chance I'll give it a run with the valve covers off to see if i can isolate the sound.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #158
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Weird, but sounds good! Unless it's like a Chevy you shouldn't have a problem.
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #159
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

AMC V8s are notorious for low oil pressure, but as long as there is lots of flow it's fine. To adjust the bridge style rockers, you have to file down the bottom of the rocker pivots. I've done that on lots of worn motors it get that clickety clack out,

Oh! And another cool mod I have done to the heater control is add a switching valve so you can join the defrost and heater vents together and have both on at the same time. Something the factory techs NEVER fixed, even in the late model years!

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #160
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
AMC V8s are notorious for low oil pressure, but as long as there is lots of flow it's fine. To adjust the bridge style rockers, you have to file down the bottom of the rocker pivots. I've done that on lots of worn motors it get that clickety clack out,

Oh! And another cool mod I have done to the heater control is add a switching valve so you can join the defrost and heater vents together and have both on at the same time. Something the factory techs NEVER fixed, even in the late model years!
Sounds like the man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him Marn!
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #161
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the info!

So, I was under it playing around as usual, then took it for a ride. It was acting insane! Not shifting, engine revving super high, slippery shifts, then THUD, it would about throw me through the windshield when it finally shifted.

Found this! Oooooh look at that, good ole vacuum line came off the modulator on the tranny. I was burning a TON of ATF on my exhaust, so I replaced the vacuum line and checked my tranny fluid. WAY low. I added a quart and its just barely "full" I think the modulator is leaking, so that'll get replaced, and I'll replace the seal on the dipstick tube as well.

On a side note, BFGoodrich is pretty cool. I asked them for a sticker and got the following within a WEEK of emailing them.

Easiest mod so far, haha.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #162
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Man, the jeep gods must have been smiling on me tonight...

I had a 6pm estimate in the opposite corner of town from where I live...The lady showed up to her own house late, and kept me there for 30 minutes.

it was 6:45 and getting dark!

I was driving the Wagoneer for work today...and my headlights dont work...I had about 25 miles of city between myself and home...I was racing down the highway...

got off, made it a few miles on surface streets, then it was just too dark...turned on my headlights.

They flickered a few times like they always do...but then...by some grace of the jeep gods, the lights stayed on at full brightness for a good 10 minutes of driving.

No bump, no swerve, no pothole could make them dim!

Then the second I pulled into my driveway and got out to open the garage...they started flicking and flashing and wouldn't stay on.

Someone must have been looking out for me tonight!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #163
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear the lights worked for you when you needed them most. Now get a pair of aux lights wired up in case of emergencies and figure out what is wrong.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #164
Jetscuh
O rly?

I am pretty sure I am going to ask BFG for stickers now.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #165
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Glad to hear the lights worked for you when you needed them most. Now get a pair of aux lights wired up in case of emergencies and figure out what is wrong.
Why didnt I think of that?! No, seriously...I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.