Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #1576
paroxysym
2007 WK 

great build Marn, read through the build on EP as well.

how are the KM2's holding up? how many miles you think you have on those?

Unread 05-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1577
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
great build Marn, read through the build on EP as well. how are the KM2's holding up? how many miles you think you have on those?
I don't know. I think the odometer said something like 82,000 when I bought it we are at like 98,000 now so 16,000 plus what ever the previous owner put on (few thousand maybe?). So maybe 18,000 miles who knows. Plus the odometer was off by like 18% most of that time so tha ads a lot.

Tires are probably 65% tread and are holding up great. Issue is they are coming up on 6 years old and are starting to get tiny cracks in the sidewalls and dry rot a little because of our wonderful climate. I try to stick to a 5 year rule on tires. Hoping to get them swapped out for AT's this year since they will better suit y driving and wheeling style. Muds are not necessary for what I do

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #1578
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Shock mounts are completed.

image-3416740825.jpg

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #1579
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks good.

Are those coils adjustable?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #1580
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss
Looks good. Are those coils adjustable? Hoss
No they are not adjustable. They are simply part of the 'load adjusting' shocks.

Unread 05-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #1581
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sa-weet! Got me a new air cleaner. Still has the factory 360 stickers on it. Needed a new one because long ago somebody cut most of the snout off of mine so there was not enough vacuum to pull from my vapor canister. image-3345063750.jpg

Oooooh and look it came with a k&n filter!!!!! I have never owned one of them before. Ought to give me 3-5 more HP lol. And the sticker on there is a least another 2HP

image-894732134.jpg

Unread 05-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #1582
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Replaced the air cleaner. I think it was time for a new filter too.

image-3686800798.jpg

image-2013815151.jpg

Unread 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #1583
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

So did you wash/reuse the K&N?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #1584
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss
So did you wash/reuse the K&N? Hoss
No. Threw it away.

Unread 05-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #1585
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Saturday:

Loaded up woman and dog, drove across the dam to arizona, went down kingman wash road to go to the lake.

Was gray on the way down to the water. a few sprinkles on the windshield. great....

Didnt see another soul on the whole trip in, and with the weather I figured we'd have the place to ourselves like every other time i had gone down there. Yeah. right!

Anyway, sun came out, had a nice afternoon and got sunburnt.

Ammo can speakers rockin' out

Grill, PBR, good cigar, my jeep, my woman and my dog...dont mind the half million dollar RV in the background.

So, Sunday, I just drove it a bunch. Flash forward to Monday. My woman's sister just bought a 2004 rubicon from a friend of mine. wanted to go wheelin. I told her we could go up Rocky Gap rd from inside of Red Rock NCA. I hadnt been up there in a few years, but it is a mild trail. Or maybe it was a few years ago. It was WAY more washed out and off camber than I remembered.

Anyway, my old iron lead the way up and back down the 5 mile trail.

Red Rock:

oooooooo! Risk!

gets fairly narrow....climbing up to 6500'

pause for a selfie....

Some photo's from behind:

My jeep did stall out once on some fairly off camber and bouncy stuff. Other than that, on the trail itself, well, there wasnt too much trouble.....but....... there were a few things.

1. My mostly broken battery tie down fully broke.
This made the battery shift while I was bouncing around and pulled the power lead to my accessory breakers. Well, one of the accessories on those breakers would be my fuel pump. kinda need that. Fixed it right there, i noticed it while we were having lunch.

2. On the way down, I realized my steering was weird. sloppy as hell. wheel had to be turned like 90* to go straight. heard some clunking. waited until i got down the trail. went under the truck pulled on everything and it was all solid. noticed some leaking brake fluid though. Seems like a bunch of the fluid from the front reservoir flooded into the rear one? Not sure.

3. After that, I drove about half a mile and was all "this isnt right!" steering was allllll over the place. as i was slowing down to stop, I heard a "pop" and my brake pedal went almost to the floor. DAMMIT!?!?! Rear wheel cylinder popped and bled out all the fluid.

Go back and look at the front. realize a bolt is missing from my steering box mount. DAMMIT! Limped my *** home doing like 35, stopping entirely on the front brakes, trying my damnedest to drive in a straight line. Got home alright but took a while.

I fixed the steering the minute i got home, new bolt and tightened up the other two. in hind sight those must have been loose for a good bit because i recall having a slight shimmy at 60mph for the past few weeks, just figured i threw a wheel weight or something.

Anyway. That was an interesting trip, and the trail was a hell of a lot worse condition than I remember it being. Some parts were still just a crummy dirt road but other parts were all washed out and rocky.

Anyway....phew. long hot day.

All's well that ends well I suppose. Just some minor repairs needed and i dopnt think the brake cylinder had anything to do specifically with the trail. I guess I should just be glad everything fell apart as soon as i finished my jeepin' for the weekend haha.

Unread 06-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #1586
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I fixed the above issues a while ago.

Well,

The last time I pulled the campah with the jeep I was so unhappy because of the severe vibrations under load, and on ANY grade at all. On even slights hills on the highway I couldnt keep 55mph because the truck was vibrating so bad.

Flash forward past the new unicorn axle and all that crap, and we arrive at present day. My girl wants to take her family camping when they come visit in a few weeks, so I figured it made a good excuse to take a shake down run.

The plan: Load up the wag with me, her, the dog, and whatever crap we needed, swing by work to pick up the campah, then head for cooler climates. Specifically Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. Spring Mountain National Recreation Area. Mt. Charleston, if you will. There is an area called Mack's Canyon that is more or less "open" camping. Take a long and winding dirt road that ends at a group camp site, but has many nice little spots along it, away from people and away from the main road.

Lets do this!

Loaded up, gassed up, drove across the city and grabbed the Campah (which thankfully was on the way).

We are headed somewhere up in them thar mountains:

Here's the thing that worried me, and here's what we were here to test...

We turned off the highway at around 3000' elevation, and after the 14 miles to Macks Canyon, we would be right around 7600'. Macks Canyon Road goes varies roughly around 7600'-8300' in elevation. I dunno, but gaining 5000' in 14 miles seems like a bit of a grade!

For a while, I was having no issues keeping 45mph headed up the hill. I wasnt trying to push it. It was about 104* that day, and we had just pulled a ways on the highway also slightly up hill from the city. To the trucks credit, it never crossed 210* the whole time. Temp gauge was hovering between 195* and 205* and about 3/4ths of the way there (just passed 6000' mark), it started acting up. Every few seconds it would lag for a fraction of a second, like a hiccup. I tried to get on the gas more, and it just was coughing and sputtering, and smelled odd. I'm assuming at this point the carb was just heat soaked and I was boiling fuel? Got to the point where I pulled over, let the truck idle for about 2 minutes, then got back on the road. Stayed in 2nd gear, and couldn't go much past 30mph, but it was running smooth enough. Guess the hill and the camper were just too much for the old girl.

In the past, going up the hill sans trailer, it was a struggle to keep 45mph, so I guess this is par for the course? Oh well, we pressed on.

Soon, we saw the turn off for Macks Canyon. Thats pretty much the "story" part of the story. The rest was a normal trip that went well!

Desert way below!

Soon I got camp set up

Somebody was happy:

The whole dang time he kept trying to eat flys that were buzzing around. Dummy.

Decided to go for a little walk, again, you can see the desert floor way down there.

Just me and the dog.

We've really been enjoying the little old pop up.

What kind of camping trip is it without a cigar and PBR?

Somebody was nice enough to whip up a batch of chili

While somebody was clearly all tuckered out...

It cooled down to the 60's at night but nothing bad.

Woke up, I cooked some eggs up and reheated a little chili, made a pot of coffee, it was a good morning. It was probably the most I've ever slept in on a camping trip. didnt wake until about 8am.

We loaded up, and headed out around 10:30

Gives a good idea of the elevation, with the valley floor wayyyyy down there.

The road isnt bad but there are a few spots we had to go pretty slow with the camper. I had taken my dodge magnum up in here before, and some fairly basic vehicles were driving in and out. Still, being away from the road is what our goal was, and there were only a handfull of cars that passed our campsite.

Back to pavement and headed doooowwwwnnnn. These pics kind of give the idea of how high we were, which you never notice on the way up.

down

down....

and finally back to the valley floor on the highway.

Headed home it was about 102* and she pulled like a champ once we got off the mountain. It's just them big ole hills that get her I guess.

So, that was my weekend! Thanks for reading!

Unread 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #1587
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I always love seeing your trip pictures! Looks like a blast!

As for the sputtering, it almost sounds like a timing issue... Keep in mind though, I'm still learning about these old things so my advice isn't backed with much experience!
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #1588
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's worth a watch if you ask me....sorry if it gets a little mushy in the middle....but I'd say it's okay.

My girlfriends parents were in town, and wanted to go camping. We headed up Mt. Charleston just as with the last trip I made, but this trip had a clear purpose in my head.

Enjoy:

Unread 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #1589
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
It's worth a watch if you ask me....sorry if it gets a little mushy in the middle....but I'd say it's okay.

My girlfriends parents were in town, and wanted to go camping. We headed up Mt. Charleston just as with the last trip I made, but this trip had a clear purpose in my head.

Enjoy:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBWPgkW3-o&list=UUpH6VogjLmxL58iuXhVKe7A
Very cool video. My wife was digging the music and really likes your Wagoneer. Also, congratulations on the engagement!
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #1590
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thank you, sir.

I enjoy picking songs that go well with the film and the events.

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.