Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #1546
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltreacy
Marn could you remove ign switch without having to remove steering wheel? How? hal
No you need to pull the wheel to get to the lock cylinder. The actual switch however is at the base of the steering column and can be removed without removing the lock cylinder

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #1547
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
It took a while but I read through your thread which I found very interesting/entertaining! Your wag looks amazing!

I noticed MANY pages back, you were looking for a more secure way to attach wires to your relay. If you haven't seen them, look into Relay Sockets/Relay Plugs. The wires can be removed from the socket which allow you to add your own wire with a connector so you don't have to bother with soldering to the existing wires if you so choose. http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-.../dp/B0002ZPUMG
Sweet thanks for the heads up!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #1548
GuyPatterson

Just read this entire thread after you commented on one of mine. It was definitely an entertaining read and gave me some great ideas for my wagoneer. After seeing how good your cargo area looks, I'll be redoing mine in the near future.
GuyPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #1549
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just read through the whole thread at work tonight and WOW have you put a lot of time, ingenuity, and thought into a very slick looking and performing ride. Your choice of a vault boy for a copilot couldn't be better! Again, exemplary work DR.Marneaus and I will be following to see whats next.
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #1550
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, for a few months I haven't done anything.

The other month I bought new belts because I glazed my PS belt when I was stuck in that rut, but I realized my pulleys were mismatched between 1987 (drive and fan pulley) and 1973 (accessories), and i was only running 1987 belts which were not the right size for the accessory pulleys.

Last night I pulled the drive pulley and the fan pulley, swapped on the 1973 versions, and installed fresh belts. I bypassed my AC compressor seeing as it's non-op.

Quote:

Unread 02-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #1551
CommandoSolo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

glad to see this thread back in action!

Eagle Scout Jeeper #135
CommandoSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #1552
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also discovered that I'm still losing brake fluid, somewhere. I'm thinking up at the master cylinder but I'm not sure. over the past several months the front reservoir went down maybe 1/4"....so it's going somewhere. Not good.

Quote:

Unread 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #1553
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Mine disappears as well but I think it is seeping between the master cylinder and the brake booster. You don't have any running down a brake line from the master cylinder thus being hard to see, do you? Just a thought.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #1554
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Mine disappears as well but I think it is seeping between the master cylinder and the brake booster. You don't have any running down a brake line from the master cylinder thus being hard to see, do you? Just a thought.
there was a single drop on the bottom of the booster, and i can see rust traces on the MC and the booster, but The areas under the flare fittings were dry (seemingly) and the underside of the MC was dry, but both areas had rust residue on them telling me that it had brake fluid on it.

It could be leaking from the piston, or maybe from the flare fittings. I am not sure.

I'll look into it soon. In the meantime, it's stopping fine, booster is functioning fine, just seems odd that I lost some fluid.

Quote:

Unread 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1555
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I forgot about this thread, I didnt know if I was gonna like those steel wheels but sure proved me wrong! Looks awesome man I love the clean classic look!
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #1556
paroxysym
2007 WK 

great build so far... there arent that many FSJ build thread in here. kind of dug the TJ when you had it but love the waggy. keep it up marn
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #1557
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
there was a single drop on the bottom of the booster, and i can see rust traces on the MC and the booster, but The areas under the flare fittings were dry (seemingly) and the underside of the MC was dry, but both areas had rust residue on them telling me that it had brake fluid on it.

It could be leaking from the piston, or maybe from the flare fittings. I am not sure.

I'll look into it soon. In the meantime, it's stopping fine, booster is functioning fine, just seems odd that I lost some fluid.
I don't think I've ever installed a MC that didn't have a slight piston leak. Never much, but I always loose fluid after putting one in... There's not much more annoying than trying to figure that leak out when it's hardly leaking anything at all.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #1558
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, i'll get back to it eventually.

Well, it's raining today, so what better time to load up the camper and head for Valley of Fire?

Will be hitching up after work and headed out to the desert for the weekend.

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #1559
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay. Update time.

The last post I made in here was that we were headed out for a camping trip.

Trip was very frustrating. I discovered that when on the highway, on any sort of grade, if i was on he gas my truck would start vibrating pretty bad, and my driveshaft would shift about 1" over into the muffler and cause more noise and more vibrations. There was about 1" between the muffler and DS as mentioned, so something was up, this thing was shifting like crazy under load.

On the way home it was bad, I was literally doing 50 not giving it any gas because of how bad it was getting on hills. Without a hill i could cruise at 65 no problem.

Got back home and first thing I did was order a new poly transmission mount because i figured mine may have been allowing movement. it looked sort of "squished"

Well, think I needed a new one?

Installing the poly bushing actually lifted the t-case about an inch.

Okay, got that out of the way. No more rubbing on the muffler, but the vibes were more noticeable because of the poly bushing, and they come into play sooner now, or at least I can feel them sooner. Time to fix this crap.

chopped out that emissions related thing in front of my muffler since there wasnt one from the factory....and moved my muffler about 12" forward. This thing is LOUD now without that restrictive item in there.

Took it to a drive line shop hoping it would be able to be minimized with some angle adjustments or something. They described my drive line angles as "atrocious" and stated the first thing they would do is try a CV shaft. This was after taking them on a test drive.

I do not have confidence that that was the answer due to a CV shaft not really being ideal for a compound angle. I was going to spend $450 and not be happy. Some agreed with me some agreed with the shop.

I went back to the drawing board and started to consider my options.

1: Convert my old 5 lug axle to 6 lug, to get the diff back closer to the center, and then re-gear it to 3.54 to match my front. Well, this would cost around $1000 (500 for shafts, $400-500 re-gear, and then some custom work to make the 6 lug brakes and whatnot mount to the flange on the housing).

2. Find a late model wagoneer rear end that is centered, regear it to 3.54 (only options were 2.97 and 3.31 those years), then clean, line, and reinstall my rear gas tank so i could remove my stock tank that is in the way of the centered diff. I figure $100-$150 in the gas tank, $200 for an axle, $400-$500 regear. Still pretty spendy.

3. Find the "unicorn" which would be a direct replacement axle. 1974-1979 wagoneer or narrow track cherokee, with a stick shift and dana20 (had to be non quadra-trac) , which means basically means it was a stripped down model. These are out there, but they are very rare, I have had my eyes peeled for one for a long time and not found one. All i would have to do is find one, and bolt it up.

So, i was looking deeply into option number 2, when I found my unicorn. Contacted JW Jeeps out by Sacramento, and they could get me exactly what I needed. 1976 Narrow Track Dana 20 equipped cherokee with a 258 under the hood, which meant standard was 3.54's

Only issue is they wanted about 2.5x what I paid for a PAIR of axles, for just the 1 axle. I figured add to that the fact that I need to drive 8 hours one way to get it in a rental car this was gonna be an expensive endeavor.

Well, turns out that they didnt have it THERE. It is in Montana. They gave me a break on the price but it was gonna be $125 in freight to get it to their yard in Sac Town. That put it right back at the original price they quoted me. I asked about Vegas, and for another $25 freight, it can be shipped to a loading dock here for will call.

I contacted Montana Overland to check in with them on getting an axle, they said they had nothing for me and suggested JW Jeeps. Upon getting that news, I called JW back and said to send it my way.

So, I just paid over $600 to get a 40 year old axle shipped to me, sight unseen. I'm an idiot.....the things we do. Thats about 3x what it SHOULD cost at a junk yard, but whatever it includes freight and I wont have to monkey around with anything.

So hopefully it'll be here in the next week or so, and we can get back to life as we know it.

I will do new wheel bearings, swap over all my fresh brake components to this one, and bolt it up under the truck. Maybe even throw in my locker while I'm at it. Don't have to move the tank, dont have to regear, nothing like that. So i guess rarity and convenience come at a cost. This will put it back to how it came from the factory, except it's 6 lug. Hopefully that'll get rid of enough offset (it's still offset about 3") to cure my vibes.

So, there should be some updated in the near future and maybe this thing will be back to normal.

Quote:

Unread 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #1560
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hi Marn, I have not been on this site for a long time. I have forgotten how to send you a personal note, so I thought I would post the question on this illustrious thread. I think that you put a set of remote gauges in your Wag at some point. Can you tell me where you connected your oil pressure tube and your water temp sensor? I found the electrical sensor connection for the oil pressure above and behind the oil filter and pump. Does this "bulb" thread out of the oil pump/ filter housing so that the adapter for the oil pressure tube can be threaded in? I noticed a cap on a long, cylindrical or tubular projection under the same housing. Could the new adaptor thread in there? My Chilton manual is not very descriptive about this. It looks as if the oil filter mount can be removed from the timing cover housing on these engines without interfering with the timing or interfering with the pump linkage. Is this true? it also looks as if the filter and pump are high enough on the engine to avoid draining all of the oil. If not, this is certainly no big deal. How about the water temp sensor? I noticed a couple of leftover sensors near the thermostat bulb housing - one actually stabbed in the back of it- from the long ago removed emissions components. These looked like good locations. What did you do?
My gas tank is leaking a tiny bit again. I suppose this is an ongoing issue with these old girls. I'll patch it up again. I have a new radiator on its way also. I plan on putting on an air lift suspension in the rear a little later when the bank account can stand it. The Pumpkin Farmer
how is your axle swap Stage Two going?
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.