Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action! - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread - Back in action!

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 09-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #1531
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Drake offroad diff cover. Got a good deal on it and this thing is BEEFY! Will do the job for sure. Gonna paint the axle soon, may or may not paint the diff cover to match.

image-1657401669.jpg

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #1532
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, the truck had been down and out for 5 months. For a month or two prior to that, I had no 4wd capability and a few other things were just mickey moused together so I wasn't using it. I believe the last real trip I made was out to Valley of Fire, on New Years. Could be wrong though.

So, I got my brakes sorted out on Tuesday, and brought the jeep home. Then I ordered and installed front and rear shocks, did a new diff cover and fill, replaced everything on the rear brakes (drums, shoes, hardware and adjuster parts), installed my old e-brake cables, and did an alignment all before 10am on Saturday.

The goal was to be on the highway by noon, and I did it.

We loaded up some gear, gassed up, grabbed some grub and beer at wal mart, then pointed the rig north. Away we go!

Headed north on the 95:

About 100 miles into the trip, I filled up with gas in Ash Springs. I'm really diggin' my new white wheels and dog dishes.

After eating lunch I noticed a puddle under the truck. Gas. Dang it! I had this tank repaired just recently, apparently the repair on the vent line at the top front didn't work so well. Only way to get it to stop leaking was to get the fuel level below the leak. Drive on!!!!

I stopped in Caliente, NV, and picked up some gas tank putty. The leak had stopped by now as this was 60 miles past Ash Springs. I ended up repairing the leak at the camp site, no biggie. I'll have to drop the tank again to adjust my float because my new gas sending unit makes the gauge read 1/4 tank low anyway.

After about 165 miles, we arrived at Cathedral Gorge State Park:

Pick a camping spot....

This will do!

Me and my baby. We've had a rough last few months....(this picture makes me look fat which is weird)

Decided to go for a walk with the girl...

Inside some of the caves:

A lil panorama

Tight squeeze!

This rest area and the bathrooms behind it were built by the CCC in 1934ish. Pretty neat.

Again...diggin' it.

Forgot our can opener....this'll work!

Made some delicious Chili for dinner. though this doesnt LOOK super delicious, it's got bacon and beer in it, so it has to be good.

Night time fun:

My camping drink of choice....

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #1533
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

After an awesome nights sleep, we woke up to some light on and off rain and made breakfast. We packed up camp and went for another short hike up to an overlook of the gorge.

Well, it was then time to turn around and head home...sadly we need to be back to work on Monday.

annnnnd, we made it

So, all in all it was a very uneventful trip, which is GOOD. Jeep ran well. My gas gauge works now but it reads 1/4 tank low (full = 3/4 on the gauge and the gauge reads empty with like 5 gallons still in the tank). Need to bend the sending unit I guess.

My exhaust rattles against my frame sometimes and is annoying. I need to remove my cat (PO added it for emissions, then had a pipe installed in it...now its non-smog so it's going back to how it came from the factory!) and move the muffler forward about 12" then I can hang the tailpipe where it belongs.

Updates on my crazy crooked driveline angle....No driveline vibes unless I really get into the throttle while doing like 70-75ish. Must be the driveline torques under heavy load. I can cruise at 70 or 75 just fine.

So, gas tank leak but my gas gauge started working. Ill call it a draw haha.

In hindsight, it may not have been the brightest idea to use a 325 mile round trip as my shakedown run, but who cares, go big or go home! All is well, and I have my jeep back now. Next test will be offroad.

Thanks for reading folks!

Quote:

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #1534
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! The whites and dog dish caps look perfect on there! Glad to see it coming back together for you.
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #1535
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay. We're back.

Turns out the new prop valve only had 1 outlet for the front. got creative with some tube and a T so i didnt really have to rework or move any of the stock fittings too much.

Anyway, all installed and leak free.

Also, I'm excited, my buddy gave us a nice bike rack because he sold his jeep and doesnt have bikes anymore. the girl and I have been wanting to bring the bikes on a few trips with us lately.

Quote:

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #1536
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, for the first time in like 8 or 9 months, I think (probably a year), I went on a trail ride in the jeep. Everything is working well it seems, so we decided to roll out cottonwood canyon to the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings. Today was the saloon's 100th birthday (they have been doing a big promotion all year), so they unveiled the anniversary monument (our names are on it for supporting them), and it was a big ole car and bike show, etc.

So, trail was normal in most spots, but we had been told the rain did a number on the washes and some of the road this summer.

Beautiful day, so we hit the trail.

Well, about 1/3rd of the way in, I went and messed up....

Its hard to see in the pics, but the rut started way back, and it was DEEP and NARROW. I had straddled it because I didnt want to drive off the trail earlier, and honestly, I stopped paying attention for a moment and slipped into it. Man, we came to a STOP. My girl in the passenger seat starts freaking out (very uncomfortable with off camber situations and anything sketchy in vehicles.) So that doesnt keep me very calm....I popped it into 4x4, and tried backing up, moving forward, etc. I got a little movement but couldnt turn my wheels because the rut trapped the front wheel. Had i been able to turn I could have driven out. The front of the rut was basically a wall, so i couldnt get out that way either. After 3 or 4 forward/backward tries, the truck stalled, then the tires just started spinning. Front driver, rear passenger. Now I gone and done it!

Basically, i got high centered the long way. My rear diff and gas tank were supporting the truck. Just couldnt get any grip. I suppose lockers could have given us a different outcome.

Had the guys hook up and pull me backwards without any trouble.

got to test the diff cover, haha.

I know its cliche to say, but pictures dont do it justice. sucker was deep and narrow.

Anyway, truck wouldnt start at that point. Weird. Noticed my e-pump wasnt coming on, and the breaker was tripping. Searched for a second and saw that when the gas tank got lifted up, it trapped the power wire for the e-pump, and split the coating, shorting it out. 2 minutes and 3" of electrical tape and It was back to moving in the right direction.

I believe you have seen my friends Willy's before, he joined on this trip because he needed a shakedown run too after having the truck off the road for 9 months.

This thing is a BEAST!

I bypassed that wash, haha. Didnt need to embarrass myself with my lack of flex.

Our group:

1 built TJ, an XJ, the Willys, the Wag, and an F150 (who invited that guy!? haha)

A few more pictures...

Riding with me was my girl, her sister, and her man.

Also riding with me was the newest addition to our family. Meet Bulleit (like the bourbon). He is a 4 year old blue heeler (australian cattle dog) and we adopted him from the shelter on Tuesday. He is proving to be an amazing dog. I think I may have given him a fear of jeeps when I hit that rut, hahaha.

Well, the rest of the trail was uneventful, we hit the saloon had lunch and a beer, partook in the festivities, then headed home.

Lil fella was tuckered out, kept passing out leaning against me, haha

So, overall a good trip. I had my first stuck, minor technical issue as a result of that, but otherwise the truck ran (and stopped!) great. Awesome day out in the desert with friends.

Thanks for reading!

Quote:

Unread 10-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1537
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As always awsome pictures! Also congrats on the new member of the family. I've had Max my Blue Heeler for almost 11 years now, great dog and I offen wonder who rescued who. One tip i'll give you about a ACD is they need a job Max goes to work with me 4 days a week and works 10 hrs a day he seems to like it more then I do! LOL

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #1538
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 renagade View Post
As always awsome pictures! Also congrats on the new member of the family. I've had Max my Blue Heeler for almost 11 years now, great dog and I offen wonder who rescued who. One tip i'll give you about a ACD is they need a job Max goes to work with me 4 days a week and works 10 hrs a day he seems to like it more then I do! LOL
Thanks!

Yeah, I've been contemplating that, I have plenty of opportunity t take him to work with me, so might end up happening in the future.

Realized i had 1 picture posted twice up there too, and this one didnt originally make it in

Quote:

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1539
greenyj95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great Wagon.
greenyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1540
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Again, not saying this is some crazy stuck or anything, but my buddy sent me a few pics that may give it a little better perspective.

Quote:

Unread 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #1541
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Decided to visit your thread and glad I did. Iíve had a soft spot for Wagoneerís ever since I saw one about 30 years ago. That image has never left me. I have a friend here in Vegas that has one too with the same exact colors as yours but needs some work to get it back up and running again; we used to wheel together a few years back.

I also have an ACD and he loves the desert and exploring as much as I do. They are extremely intelligent dogs with tons of energy.

I need to look your thread over from the beginning just as soon as I can muster up the time, but in the meantime Iím really liking that rear diff cover you got there.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #1542
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Decided to visit your thread and glad I did. I’ve had a soft spot for Wagoneer’s ever since I saw one about 30 years ago. That image has never left me. I have a friend here in Vegas that has one too with the same exact colors as yours but needs some work to get it back up and running again; we used to wheel together a few years back.

I also have an ACD and he loves the desert and exploring as much as I do. They are extremely intelligent dogs with tons of energy.

I need to look your thread over from the beginning just as soon as I can muster up the time, but in the meantime I’m really liking that rear diff cover you got there.
Thanks. You should get on your buddy and have him fix it up, we could use more FSJ's on the trail. You should join us some time too, everything gets posted in the Nevada section.

Quote:

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1543
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

image-4281356077.jpg

image-3636651980.jpg

Quote:

Unread 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #1544
haltreacy

Marn: ign switch how?

Marn could you remove ign switch without having to remove steering wheel? How? hal
haltreacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #1545
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It took a while but I read through your thread which I found very interesting/entertaining! Your wag looks amazing!

I noticed MANY pages back, you were looking for a more secure way to attach wires to your relay. If you haven't seen them, look into Relay Sockets/Relay Plugs. The wires can be removed from the socket which allow you to add your own wire with a connector so you don't have to bother with soldering to the existing wires if you so choose. http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-.../dp/B0002ZPUMG

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 , build up , dr. marneaus , grand wagoneer , jeep , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.