Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread

432K views 2K replies 196 participants last post by  Marn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

My name is Dr. Marneaus. You may remember me from such threads as the original "100,000th post wins" and "97 TJ's 'Build Up'" as seen in my signature.

This was the little jeep that could. It inspired many, and gave me many good times. I have kicked myself every day since selling it almost 3 years ago...but everything happens for a reason.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tjs-build-up-335660/

Today I'm coming to you with something a little bit different. I'm no longer a poor college student who daily drives his mildly built TJ.

I'm now a poor college graduate who daily drives what used to be his mom's station wagon, but rolls weekends in a slightly different style.

I picked this up today.

Introducing "THE BEAST" as it has been named by my friends and family.

1973 Wagoneer. Epic.

Okay okay, it's still a station wagon! But I'll be doing more than grocery getting in this beast.

Here's the low down...

The good:
-Part Time 4wd with Warn Hubs up front
-BJ's Offroad 4" Spring lift. Still SUA. Less than a year old.
-33x10.50 BFG KM2's...less than a year old with warranty paperwork.
-It drives fantastically. Had it on the highway all day in he 100+ degree -heat doing 75 keeping up with traffic.
Seats and most of interior is in awesome shape

The bad:

-It has a ton of leaks from what I can tell...but doesn't look like anything too serious.
-Has an auxiliary fuel tank installed, and the original tank is in my back yard. So, I have no idea how big this fuel tank is (only the aux. is in the jeep). There's a switch and whatnot, but I dont know how any of that crap works.
-A little bit of rust, but I'll be trimming it off to fit the tires.
-Bumper rubs tires, i'll put it on and trim it this weekend.
-Buncha gauges don't work. Speedo and fuel and oil work though.
-Headliner is ripped and falling...oh well, gravity happens.
-All weather stripping is dry rotted to hell.
-AC stopped working this past year...I dunno why or what to do.

I'll keep this thread going as I advance down the list.

It already feels GREAT to be back in a jeep. I'm psyched to have this bad boy at my disposal. I think it'll be a lot of fun.

See less See more
#3 ·
Turns out the bumper fits 100% fine? I'm working on grinding out the front mounts right now to fit some left-over grade 8 hardware. I know its not a load bearing bumper, nor should it be used as a recovery point. I just have the stuff laying around is all.

#4 · (Edited)
Bumper! Lookin better already.

Gave my baby a wash...and started a little special something...

Also, pulled the stereo and speaker...anyone know what size this speaker is? How am I going to replace this sucker! haha.

#12 ·
:popCorn:

I want a Waggy!!!

#14 ·
That is one sweet Jeep Marn. Welcome back to the Jeep life.

#15 ·
I don't know what it is, but the Wagoneer is just one hot Jeep. It is both classic and bad *** at the same time. I can't wait to see that bumper put back on.

#18 ·
Nice, I bet that 360 will pull a trailer with 3 maybe even 4 big mowers on it. You should have no trouble getting the lawns mowed during the week and out to the camping and wheeling spots on the weekends. Plus with this big beast you have all kinds of room for loading your guns up and hitting the desert for some shooting.

#19 ·
So, you all know from my other threads that I'm a ridiculous picture whore...suck it up.

Well, ran into a little trouble with the Stereo system...as advanced as it is...The 5x7 I picked up is about 1/2" too deep, and i cant fit the stereo back in the slot. I stuck it into the "glove box" for now, but I think there is a plus side to this...I now have a place for my CB to sit.

CB will be happening in the weeks to come, gotta find an appropriate mounting spot for the antenna.

Anyway, on with the pictures....

Aahhhh, this looks like it'll do the job. And look at that, it comes with a spare!

Out with the old, in with the new. Little bit of a difference?

High-Tech stereo system here...10 year old jensen tape deck and a single 5x7.

Big ole mess for connecting 2 wires...

Everything is in place! no one will steal my crappy tape deck that they cant even see! Looks like that hole is about right for a Uniden or Cobra unit....perfecto! Now I can leave the ashtray where it is.

Funny how the entire dash is 100% perfect except for this....it was half broken so i just cut the rest out leaving a gaping hole...

wait what hole?

i love her...

#21 ·
I bet that 360 sounds :drool:

And it's just a dead sexy vehicle. Thing is a beast.

#23 ·
#27 ·
Did you ditch the CJ too?

Got any plans besides just tryin' to get of the rust?
Bumpers, CB, spare, high lift, maybe some lights, i dunno...biggest plan is to keep it running, and i dunno if I'll even get rid of the rust, theres hardly any.

#26 ·
Got any plans besides just tryin' to get of the rust?

#28 ·
Ah ok, just wasn't sure if you were gonna trim that fender up. I think you should, even if it is a "classic".

#32 ·
hahah this is true. As soon as I got mine I had no money to mod so I resorted to stickers just so I could at least have something to put on it! lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.