Mark I Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mark I Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
IronMan5280
2009 WK 

Mark I Build

I am relatively new to the Jeep scene but am not shy when it comes to getting my hands dirty, I will dive right in!

A little background first... since I got my license, I have driven 3 different vehicles before my beloved Jeep...

1) Grey 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Van with custom rust (pics to follow) - aka The Candy Van... used in high school
2) Purple (yes, PT Cruiser freakin' purple) 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan (pics to follow) - aka The Grape... used in college
3) Silver 2005 Chrysler Town & Country

No, I don't have a thing for vans... my parents do. The price was right, all of them were free!!

Needless to say, after 267,000mi on the Chrysler (impressive right??) and it throwing a hissy fit, it was time for me to have my own car! Due to my work and being a volunteer firefighter, I needed to be able to be mobile rain or shine, snow or hurricane. Plus this is my DD, so it needed to be decent on fuel.

I finally found this baby with 86k on it at just the right price 14 months ago. This is the day saw her and bought her:

It had everything I wanted in my first car and it was MY FIRST CAR! But it's not a car, it's a JEEP!

Being a volunteer firefighter, my first mod (of a several to-date) was to take my blue lights out of the minivan and put them in the jeep. I had them mounted at the sun visor on the minivan and liked them there, so I wanted to do the same. I soon realized the vast difference in windshield layout... the van had A LOT more windshield space. It was also more concave from roof to hood compared to the jeep which was more concave from post to post. The result of this is that the lights would not sit as flush against the windshield as I thought, potentially giving me more flashback. I mounted them anyway figuring I would see how I liked it and would change it later

First I put the mounting bracket right at the end of my roof liner and marked out where I wanted them. Next I cut a rectangular piece of plastic (from a 2L coke bottle) which I was going to use as my backing between the roof material and metal roof of the jeep (since I knew from the minivan that screws right into the material wasn't enough to hold the lights). Using the plastic backing, the 1/4" screws would bite and clamp down nicely.

After mounting them both, I spliced the both positives and then both grounds together from my two lights, into one which lead to the switch at the cigarette jack.

I routed them thru the driver post, under the dashboard, and then right out under the center console.

They work!

(I tried to upload video, but it didn't work)

I also did the same thing for my rear lights which are red/yellow. I mounted these using 1/8" bolts on the overhead trim at the tailgate.

They are fed under the trunk compartment, along the door jams, and again under the dashboard popping out at the console.

This setup has worked out nicely but I finally decided where to put the permanent switch, which I am actually working on right now.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
IronMan5280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:32 PM   #2
IronMan5280
2009 WK 

In the minivan I had mounted my Streamlight Vulcan flashlight onto one of the interior body panels right next to a 12V plug, so I wanted to do the same in the Jeep. After a while of not wanting to drill a hole into my new panels, I just said screw it. Here is the final placement:

At the same time, I also installed a small auto/marine fire BC extinguisher ) on the opposite side of the panel.

Seriously, get one. You never know when you may need it and it’s amazing what this little thing can put out…

Unread Today, 12:33 PM   #3
IronMan5280
2009 WK 

Shortly afterwards, I noticed that the plastic mounts were rattling/squeaking because that panel is not level (i thought I tightened it down the first time enough to not rattle) . So I cut a ¼” thick neoprene that I had lying around just bigger than the mount dimensions and put that between the panel and mounts. Rattle no more!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.