Maloj's Buildthread '02 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Maloj's Buildthread '02 Overland

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Maloj's Buildthread '02 Overland

hi, all
i finally decided to write a buildthread for my Jeep.
A little history:
After hurricane Sandy Destroyed my 03 Laredo, i ended up getting a 2002 Jeep GC Overland. 173k for $2700.

It has quite a few things wrong with it, but not anything major. Tranny and engine run perfect. It looks like blend doors problem was already fixed once... although. for some reason when i set the temperature to be on LOW setting i get cold air.. when i set it just a little bit higher it starts blowing hot air... for now i'm gonna live with that... I'll fix it sometime closer to spring. The heater core was replaced on the truck by the owner before me.. but his stupid a$$ didn't fix the evap core!!! so i have a whole big project in front of me for spring. Dirver's heated seat does not work.. I have already determined that the problem is in the element... I will post my write-up on replacing it in a few. Unfortunately I had to take off rims and tires off my old truck, because the Overland tires were just so shot.. And i didnt feel like spending extra $500-$600 on new tires.. everything used that i've looked at so far is either bad or even worse than the ones that the Overland came with. So i just left myself with my old Siverblades + At tires.

So here are my plans:

1. Since its winter time i have to fix my heated seat.. I go skiing a lot and definitely would love an option of getting into my car and having a warm butt =)

2. The jeep needs all new bushings and shocks.. So i decided to lift it up and replace the suspension parts with the Zone Offroad 4'' lift kit.(unless i change my mind about the kit and get a different one) I will get this sometime after christmas. I would also get the Zone SS, Front sway bar links, and addco 1'' rear sway bar.

3. With christmas coming up my gf is getting me a new audio system off my choice with a budget of roughly $450
so i chose following:
JL audio c2-600 for the front... Yeah yeah... i know that front speakers are 6x9's but i decided to get these and then patch it up..or get an adapter. It seems to be a much better component solution than the other ones i saw
Pioneer ts-a1684r speakers for rear doors
Boss R1200 amplifier seems very good i'm not looking to put in a sub
and the Pioneer HU
Total paid: $379.87
I'm planning to get the adapter for steering wheel controls too, so that should fit right under $450 w/shipping

4. Since I took off my Silverblade Rims off the old truck i decided to paint them when i will get my lift kit... Please let me hear your opinions about different colors.

this is what i have planned out so far... there is more to come.. just need more money =) and ideas..

maloj2003wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Yesterday I removed the Disk changer and replaced it with the storage box from my laredo.

now the space is a lot more useful..
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

today i finally fixed my heated seat!!!!
Here is the write up!!!!

So, since i got my 02 Overland my driver's heated seat was never working.
Last week i pulled the seat apart to see where the problem was: and guess what it is the good old heating element wiring totally burnt and ripped apart:

I did some research and found that most people just solder it back together. But i think the damage was so bad that soldering wouldn't really work, and i was too lazy to get the soldering tools in order, and actually solder it myself, I'm not very good at it. So i went ahead and order the doorman alternative from rockauto. I got both elements that they sell the one for the back and the one for the bottom. The bottom one includes 3 pieces: 1 center pad, and 2 side pads. The back one is just one pad.. (i ended up not using it at all)

So today i decided to install it. I wouldnt say that you need 2 people for this job, but it gets a lot simpler when you have someone that can hold the seat, unless you can get it somewhere where its not gonna move. I live in apartment in NYC so i don't have a luxury of having a garage and doing my work there =(

These are the tools that i used:
Needlenose Pliers
Regular square pliers
A razor
small flathead to remove the harness from the motor

and don't forget to get a loyal friend to help you with this

Step 1.
Get your seat to a safe place:

Step 2.
Disconnect the harness from the motor on the right side of the seat:

Step 3.0
Pull the leather off; There are rubber sorta clips on the bottom of the seat on the left side, in the rear and on the front bottom.. You will need to push and pull, some of them can be tricky. On the right side by the motor there is a plastic clip that attaches the seat cover to the metal bracket, take that off too.

Step 3.1
You will need to work your way opening the brackets(metal rings) that attach the seat cover to the cushion do it carefully. i had to cut one bracket because it was a complete circle with no way of opening it. You can cut all of them if that's easier for you, and replace them with the ones doorman provided with the heating element. I'll tell you know its not gonna be easy!

Step 3.2
Pull the seat cover off the back cushion. There are 3 rubber clips that hold it in place on the inner side 1 in the center and 1 on each side. I forgot to take pictures of that.. Sorry. Anyway i found out that the back side of my heating pad was intact... so i decided not to replace it, and send the other heating element back to rock auto.

Step 3.3
Remove the old heating element, use razor as needed. Mine came off very easy!

Step 4.
Adhere the doorman replacement pads, make sure you pass the wire through first, and connect them together...

as you can see the 2 harnesses on each side interconnect with the doorman heating pad... one harness from the heating pad goes back to the main power.. and there is one right in the center of the picture that is not connected to anything, this one is used for closing the circuit if you do use the back heating element from doorman.. I just left it hanging like that.

Nice and neat =)
Now time to bring the seat to the car to see if it actually works...
TADA!!!!!!! IT WORKS!
the bottom pieces fire up real quick, the original one in the back takes a little longer...

Now bring the seat back inside the apartment and close it up. For this you wanna have someone helping you. It's really hard putting those metal wires back in place with the brackets...

I did use 3 of the brackets that doorman has provided the are ok.. as far as the "pliers" they provided total crap.... I'd rather have them give me a better price on the pad instead of this stupid $h*t!!

After you done with putting it back together bring it to you car and

Voila!!!!

i hope that this was a good write up its the first one im doing...
If you need instructions on taking the seat off the car you can probably find them on wjjeeps.com or just search here on forum.
Thanks for you attention =)
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
It looks like blend doors problem was already fixed once... although. for some reason when i set the temperature to be on LOW setting i get cold air.. when i set it just a little bit higher it starts blowing hot air... for now i'm gonna live with that... I'll fix it sometime closer to spring. ..
Depending on the ambient air temp. that sounds normal. I thought it was a problem too, but the fact that you get both hot and cold air means the doors are working.

The way it was explained to me by the dealer is this: "low and hi" are automatic cold or hot. Then let's say you set it to 60 (this is the desired temp. you want to be, not the temp. of the output air), and outside it's 20. The little sensor in between the temperature knobs will determine what temp. air it needs to output, to bring the driver or passenger to the desired temperature....

So for example you get in and you're colder than the desired temp., it will deliver warmer air at first to bring you up to the temp. you select, then the air temp. will change to maintain the temperature...
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Overland looks like a good replacement for the flooded Laredo . Dont know if you did the other seat yet but our heated seats were fixed under recall this summer, might be worth checking ?
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
The Overland looks like a good replacement for the flooded Laredo . Dont know if you did the other seat yet but our heated seats were fixed under recall this summer, might be worth checking ?
I ckecked for recall twice with 2 different dealers, no recall on mine. Only driver seat didnt work, so thats all i had to fix
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Replaced the Evic today. New one works perfect comes on all the time... no matter hot or cold outside =)

Also replaced the driver side visor... the original was broken
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Decided that its time to update on what's coming up.
Last Friday i changed my 2 diffs fluids and the 247 tc fluid.
Now its ready for the trip upstate for new years. Will know for sure if there is anything wrong with my tc once i hit that snow.

Also I ordered a 3" lift from Kolak.
After careful consideration and talking to Nick on the phone, I decided that he knows better what I need.
here's what i got:
OME HD springs
Bisltein 5100 series shocks
Springs isolators
JKS front adjustable trackbar
IRO front & rear extended endlinks
Crown front & rear swaybar mounting bushings
Crown rear upper A-arm center balljoint
Crown control arm set
Some of these weren't needed particularly for the lift, i got them because I need all the bushings replaced in my suspension.
I also got 2 new MOOG ball joints(uppers and lowers) for the front from rockauto
And MOOG trail boss SS
All the parts I guess are gonna come in sometime during this week.
Wanted to install it before new years but I dont think thats gonna happen.

Thats all for now..
Unread 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Decided to post my build sheet in here this way its always handy when i need it

VIN: 1J8GW68J52C155621
Vehicle Description: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR

Model Year: 2002
Body Model: WJ J S 74
Engine: EVC- 4.7L V8 High Output MPI Engine
Transmission: DGQ- 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission

Sales Code Description
*NL Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-DB Dk/Lt Slate Gray
ADES Cold Weather Group
ADLP Skid Plate Group
AFFS Luxury Group
AHX Trailer Tow Group IV
APAS Monotone Paint
ARGS Overland Decor Group
ATCS Radio-CD/Cass/10 Disc/Infinity Spkrs
AWBS Quadra-Drive II (R) 4WD System
AWES Up Country Suspension Group
A83P 4.7LHO Eng(EVC)/5spdA/T 5-45Rfe(DGQ)
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator
BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGSS Supplemental Side Air Bags
CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**
CJ2P Supp. Side Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags
CKDS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CLGS Covered Cargo Storage
CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net
CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUDS Mini Overhead Console
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHFP Quadra-Trac II On Demand 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
DRKP Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
DSBP Vari-Lok Progressive Front Axle
DSCP Vari-Lok Progressive Rear Axle
EVC 4.7L V8 High Output MPI Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GT3S Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GWAS Power Sunroof
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAFS Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control
HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
I57S Route 57 - CSX & NS, Ridgefield, NJ
JA6S Electroluminescent Instr Cluster
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JHCS Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJP 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKAS Locking Glove Box
JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKYS Power Accessory Delay
JPBS Power Locks
JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch
JTFP Power 10-Way Heated Memory Seats
K4DS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime
LAZP Vehicle Information Center
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
LCBS Door Courtesy Lamps
LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
LEWS Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory
LMBS Halogen Headlamps
LMGP Automatic Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
LSAS Security Alarm
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFQS Chrome/Body Color w/Accent Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MTBP 4.7L HO Badge
MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge
MVCS Jeep Badge
MVEP V-8 Badge
MWGS Roof Rack
MZBS Quadra Drive Badge
MZMS Overland Badge
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBVP Low Emission Vehicle (LEV)
NECP Bright Exhaust Tip
NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHFP Power Steering Cooler
NHMS Speed Control
NMHP Hydraulic Engine Cooling
PDR Graphite Metallic Clear Coat
QDRS Graphite Metallic Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBPS AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl
RCES Infinity Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
RDPP 10-Disc Remote CD Changer
RDZP Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCWS Wood/Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDUS Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TBWS Full Size Spare Tire w/Matching Whl
TS6S P235/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WFZS 17X7.5 Alum Gray Accent Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
XFBP Bright Tow Hooks
XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFLP 7 to 4 Pin Wiring Adaptor
XGDP Universal Garage Door Opener
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Another quick update...
Got a set of 4 moabs off a JK. for $220. Started the sanding process today. 1 wheel is almost done. Dont know which color I'm gonna paint them yet but something along side of dark gray.... I need tires for them as well and a third wheel for a spare.... Also got the rear LEDs in today pics to come later today.
My lift kit is still coming in piece by piece. I hope that I'm gonna get all the parts sometime during this week. I want to get it on already.
My Plan was to get everything installed before the end of the month...
3" Lift kit
Rear Led Lights
Moab Tires
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Installed the lights today in freezing cold the toughest thing trying to get the screws in the right way. But definitely looks a lot fresher than the old ones!
image-934364052.jpg   image-4126142584.jpg   image-1024510797.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

My Jeep got broken into last night. =( All they took was my makita toolbox, but it had about $400 worth of stuff in it. Took it to repair the broken window. The window movement mechanism was broken on it for a while and i had a new one sitting at home so at least that got replaced but the new window with installation was $140.
Also decided to get the lift installed because it's gonna be raining for a couple of days and i don't have to bring it to work. Should be done by Friday afternoon.
download.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
jesse12296
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj
My Jeep got broken into last night. =( All they took was my makita toolbox, but it had about $400 worth of stuff in it. Took it to repair the broken window. The window movement mechanism was broken on it for a while and i had a new one sitting at home so at least that got replaced but the new window with installation was $140.
Also decided to get the lift installed because it's gonna be raining for a couple of days and i don't have to bring it to work. Should be done by Friday afternoon.
What scum!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1994-jeep-cherokee-slow-highschool-build-1398809/
jesse12296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Finally lifted my truck! Maaaaaan what a difference! New bushings and new shocks make a big difference! I'll post some pictures later. The only thing that is very weird is that front springs fall out when the truck is on a lift. I have to call Kolak and find out if that's ok.
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Got a chance to upload a couple of pictures..
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-5.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.