Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A Maine XJ

63K views 480 replies 67 participants last post by  VTEK1 
#1 ·
Figured I may as well make a little build thread. So here goes. Bought a 1998 XJ with 128,666 miles in April 08. 4.0, AW4, Np231, D35 rear for $3300.

Sorry about the picture sizes

After I Krylon'd the flares. Crappy rusted rims. Saggy suspension.

Than I got my Jeepforum brand rims. Some 15x7 Soft 8's.

Then I added C4x4 tow hooks, ripped off the door molding, and added some Walmart baja lights

Chucked the donut spare. Cleaned up one of the old rims for a full size spare

Wheeled it some :thumbsup:

After that wheeling, I waxed the **** out of it

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Than decided it was time for some lift. Contemplated getting RE 3.5" Superflex kit. Ended up getting 2" OME medium duty. Found a cheap set of BFG Mud Terrains on Craigslist

Post lift

Got a Class III U-haul hitch put in

Little more wheeling :thumbsup:

Short Vid of my sucky driving and a stump :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Painted the flares and endcaps... again

That's all for the moment. Out of money.

Soon:
*Trim and TJ flares
*JKS Discos
*Flowmaster Catback
*Herc interior and bottom lower portion of the exterior
*Gas tank skid and TC skid
*Surco rack

Future:
*8.8 swap
*Regear to 4.56 or 4.88 and lockers
*33's or ?
*Bumpers (Warn maybe?)

#9 ·
Maine Jeeps...the best out there.

Hey, how much lift did the OME kit give you in the back? I will probably buy some HD OME leaf springs and coil spacers to make my 2" lift. (shocks in the mail)

Thanks, oh and nice JEEP

#11 ·
cool thanks:2thumbsup:

#17 ·
Good looking rig! I'm just getting going on mine too. I've had it for a while as a driver while I build my mustang into an 800 rwhp & 700+ torque street legal drag monster. Now I am moving to this project and will be on the look out for a new driver if this gets to be more toy than transport :)

I'm starting small with a 3.5 Rub. exp. lift and will have a similar build thread if I can get enough posts to allow photos :)

#19 ·
Good looking rig! I'm just getting going on mine too. I've had it for a while as a driver while I build my mustang into an 800 rwhp & 700+ torque street legal drag monster. Now I am moving to this project and will be on the look out for a new driver if this gets to be more toy than transport :)

I'm starting small with a 3.5 Rub. exp. lift and will have a similar build thread if I can get enough posts to allow photos :)
Thanks man :cheers2:
Sounds like you have a good plan for yours too. I want a Mustang with that kind of power

#21 ·
I have the same plans for the 99 I just aquired.

How much did the OME set you back and where did you get it from? Would you recommend the medium or heavy duty? I have heard the OME lift is better than stock on road. What is your opinion?

And what did you paint the bumpers/trim with?

#22 ·
I have the same plans for the 99 I just aquired.

How much did the OME set you back and where did you get it from? Would you recommend the medium or heavy duty? I have heard the OME lift is better than stock on road. What is your opinion?

And what did you paint the bumpers/trim with?
If I remember correctly the kit cost me about 850 from Quadratec. I went with the medium duty because I usually don't have any kind of extra weight in the rig. If you haul any sort of substantial weight in the Jeep or tow with it, I'd go with the heavy duty :thumbsup:

The on road characteristics of mine are better than it was when it was stock. Nowhere near as much body roll. It just feels more stable overall, the shocks are great. It does ride rather stiff though, but I think it's a great kit

#23 ·
nice looking rig! i have very similar plans for mine, except i'm probly going with a junkyard lift. i wish i could get an OME kitfor my 93 but OME doesnt import kits for jeeps here in venezuela only for toyota an nissan and such... anyhoo, nice work!

#35 ·
Flare duct taped back together. Managed to run it over :D It's held on to the bracket with a zip tie and a wood screw at the moment. Nice!

Ouch. Primered up waiting for paint :cheers: Not fun when it's about 5*. I had to dry the paint with a hair dryer

Oh yeah! Had Christmas lights on it, running through an inverter.

So that's all for now. The job is starting up in January, so more mods should follow. Next up is exhaust (FM 40), then gas tank and TC skids (Tomken and Warn respectively), and then the Surco rack and CB.

Thanks for stopping in to look :cheers2:

#36 ·
:teehee: After watching the video......I believe I would get me a couple of Lockers. Or, AT LEAST a rear locker and a limited-slip in the front!

And, I know how it is with RED Jeeps....They get in your blood, literally!

#39 ·
GET A LUNCH BOX LOCKER!!! lol thats what i would do anyway.... im jealous of your paint! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.