Mainah XJ build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mainah XJ build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mainah XJ build thread

Well i am very excited to start this build thread because growing up i always wanted a jeep cherokee because my mom had one. When it came time for me to get a license and get a car i ended up wanting a truck and a friend talked me out of it and into getting a jeep, only problem was is i couldn't afford one that was half decent. So being the offroad enthusiast i am i ended up buying a lifted ford explorer(biggest mistake i've made). But i'll save that rant for another day, well now i ended up getting having someone offer to trade me a 97 jeep cherokee sport for my explorer... wierd huh? So now i start my build thread.

Jeep Specs- 1997 cherokee sport 5speed and completely stock with 150,000 miles.
Now its far from perfect but dude its a jeep!

So plans for the Jeep. (Will take a long time for most of these because i am poooooooor haha)
4.5 lift(Brand unknown for now)
31'' tires and some cragar D windows
Detroit locker in the rear
Gas tank, t-case, and oil pan skid.
Rock sliders
Homebrew roof rack
as many lights as i can afford/fit.
Home brew front and rear bumpers
Boat angle the rocker panels with 1/4 inch steel
CB with 5 foot whip
And do a flat black rustoleum paintjob

Things i will being doing right off-
Paint the rims
New tires
remove jugs and trim front bumper
Remove hood latches and put hood pins in from my race car(Hood open lever busted and not much of a mechanic)
Replace rear leafs(These ones are so flat they are bending the other way)
Wheel the living **** out of it!

No pics of the jeep for now because i dropped the camera in a pool, but should have some pics in a week or so.

And Mainah is how you say Mainer in good ol' Maine for those of you who are saying WTF at the title.

Last edited by garagekingxj; 03-09-2010 at 04:56 PM..
garagekingxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well here are the two pics i have of the jeep and the explorer i got rid of for the jeep.

1997 cherokee sport 5 speed

93 explorer 5 speed, 8 inch lift, detroit lockers, and super swampers... Lots more to it but no need for details.

I really miss this truck, but i got a jeep now!

So heres the deal with the jeep, it is dented all to hell on the drivers side from someone side swiping the PO and the other side has a couple dents.

Should i leave the dented up doors and front fender or should i save up the money to replace them and repaint the jeep? It will cost 150 a door for new front and rear driver said doors and 50 for the fender from a junk yard. Also needs a steering box but thats cheap and eventually new leaf springs. Also a lift is in the future but i need to save. And i need to figure out how to get my rear passenger and driver side doors to open? Any ideas on why they are not opening? I got the panels off but no luck figuring it out.
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Also i took off the molding, and the fender hangers. I will be trimming the fenders soon to fit some 30 inch mud rovers i'm buying off my friend. and also sanding down and painting the rims satin black.
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have those Mud Rovers off my wheels next weekend for ya Searles... welcome to JF!

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sick man, once i get some $$$ i'll be making a trip to the carney residents. You gunna start a build thread once you get the lift goin?
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that should be ready to go by the end of next week if all goes according to plan.

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Okay so its been a little while since i've been on here but here is the update on the heep.

new(ish) 30'' mud rovers
no front milk jugs
removed door molding
No fender flares or hangers
Also got it inspected and needed to replace the brake lines, new exhaust and a few lights.

Here is how she sits now(Can't decide if i want to take off the rear bumper jugs, Anyone got any pics of how they look without them? I plan on trimming the fenders soon)

Photobucket

Photobucket

So things i want to do is remove junk carpet and bed line because the carpet is covered with gear oil from the PO, then i want to trim the fender, and trim the front bumper so it looks something like " \___________/ " that. And then keep wheeling it.
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Take off the bumper endcaps Nice progress

4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

hmm after seeing that i think i might go ahead and do that later today, i wish my jeep looked as mint as yours haha.
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

She's quite far from mint... That picture was after I waxed and buffed it. I try to keep it looking nice when it's not dirty
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

haha mint compared to mine then? I guess i shall keep mine mud coated to hide the dents and scratches...
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Photobucket also painted the center console thing there... came out pretty good.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks pretty good. I'm going to do mine at some point in a similar fashion.
Unread 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i think it looks good, i couldn't really stand the black, i did my air vents on both sides the same color and think it really makes it look better in there. I think i'm gonna re-do my headliner with camo material to match the seat covers.
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
garagekingxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

well i got bored today and decided those rear milk jugs needed to go... so heres a few pics of it now! Next thing is tow hooks, i really want to get some for the front because my worst fear is getting stuck and not being able to be pulled out... so that brings me to this question, where would you pull from on the front without the hooks? Or can you at all?

Anyways here be the pics...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and though i would throw this up here and how much shes changed since day one, and the cool thing is is that there is sooo much more to go!

Then-
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now-
Photobucket
Photobucket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.