MAiL CRAWLER BUILD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MAiL CRAWLER BUILD

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

MAiL CRAWLER BUILD

Normally when I do a mod to my Jeep I don't take pics during the process. I need to break that bad habit. Here are a few pics of what I'm starting with.

image-464249915.jpg

image-1496831031.jpg

image-3257078016.jpg

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I decided to rework my stock cage. Take your Seatbelts out before removing the cage. I pulled the springs out from each seatbelt and had to replace them. Stock Seatbelts weigh 8 lbs. for those of you paying attention.

I removed my GR steel tub panel guards and replaced them with their tall aluminum tub panel guards. Also cut out some of the front TNT 3" standard tube fenders and replaced with aluminum vented panels. The weight saved is negated because of the choice of fasteners used.
image-4107123944.jpg

image-2890952943.jpg

image-3858364805.jpg

image-3834113570.jpg

image-2331728028.jpg

image-662830845.jpg

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was running a Barnes4wd flat skid made from 1/4" A50 plate. That weighed 59.4 lbs. I replaced it with a sheet of 3/8" T6 6061 aluminum weighing in at 28 lbs. My engine skid I made from steel weighed 24.2 lbs. That was never installed, but it will be replaced by a sheet of the same aluminum weighing in at 15.4 lbs.

I replaced my wire rope on my 8k winch with rope that's rated for 16k. The wire and hook weighed 19 lbs. while the roller fairlead itself weighed 10.2 lbs. and installed a Hawse type.
image-1564876555.jpg

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Next is replacing my tinted and cracked glass windshield. I cut the windshield hinges to smitherines and pulled the frame off to replace with a poly replacement from Optic Armor. My frame consists of half of the hinge, a no drill soft top header, aluminum side armor, and the frame itself only. With the glass intact it all weighed 47.6 lbs. The frame without the glass weighs 30.2 lbs. Meaning the glass itself weighed 17.4 lbs. The OA glass weighs 8.6 lbs. So I gained a crack free windshield and lost 8.8 lbs. in the process. It will be installed back onto the hinges after a trip to the hardware store. The stock hinge will accept a 7/16" bolt.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time for the good stuff. My LCAs were 19" long and I was running Rock Krawler 4 link uppers. It was time for a change. I cut off all the stock bracketry in favor of the GR rear 4 link brackets. In hindsight, I could have saved money and bought different brackets that weren't all welded for me. I like my booger welds. And I don't clean them afterwards. Oh well, they were an easy enough install, I shouldn't complain.

So far my new LCAs are now 25" long. This brings us up to speed as to where I am at with my build.
image-1806140514.jpg

image-3145513529.jpg

Unread 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I need to weld the upper mounts to the truss on my Super 88, then measure for UCAs. My driveshaft needs to be taken in for lengthening. It went from being 22.5", to 27" measured at ride height.

So, if everything lines up and goes smoothly, I will have gotten a 4" +/- rear stretch on top of the 3" I previously had all while keeping a stockish look and not having to comp cut, despite the fact that I am running 37" MT/Rs.

I am running Currie 2.5" JJs on all LCAs and rear uppers, along with 1.25" heim joints from RuffStuff on my front upper, for the time being. The plan is to replace those with JJs as well.

I have GR's blank corners that need painted. Along with those, I have Smittybilt YJ, yes YJ, rear flares to bolt on.

Because of the lightning rain storm we had last night, I had to pull it back into the garage. Here are some FULL stuff, low rider poser pics.
image-1810160153.jpg

image-3165273761.jpg

Unread 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got my Savvy tail lights yesterday. They look great, but I think I'm missing a lens or something for the side markers.

These are what my new aluminum corners look like. Along with the piece that was cut out.

My new windshield is mounted in the frame. Their logo is engraved in the top "driver"side, which might bother some of you taller drivers out there. Luckily for me, it is on MY passenger side.
image-3229362943.jpg

image-3574840237.jpg

image-2799900442.jpg

Unread 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The GR steel corner guards weigh 28 lbs per side. The aluminum corners weigh 11 lbs. per side. 56-22=34 lbs. of weight savings. Yes!
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
PostaljeepSS
1974 DJ 

Looks good man! How much does a chunk of aluminum like that cost around there? RHD unite!
PostaljeepSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostaljeepSS
Looks good man! How much does a chunk of aluminum like that cost around there? RHD unite!
Both skids were about $400. I bought other stuff too, so that is what I came up with. Them measuring and cutting added to the cost of the material, of course.

I am planning a trip to Tulsa and Disney, OK next week trough the weekend. I would like to meet all of you!
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
PostaljeepSS
1974 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
Both skids were about $400. I bought other stuff too, so that is what I came up with. Them measuring and cutting added to the cost of the material, of course.

I am planning a trip to Tulsa and Disney, OK next week trough the weekend. I would like to meet all of you!
That's not as bad as I would have thought. I'll need to get some plates underneath the Willys someday. May have to look into aluminum.
Unfortunately I'm on the opposite end of the country but I'm sure there's someone in the area!
PostaljeepSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steel is great to work with. I love welding it and that is why I ran steel armor to begin with. If it ever gouged deep enough, I could lay a bead on it and cover it up. Or if I wanted to ever add on something, I could weld a tab on and run a bolt through to keep it secure. I even had thoughts of welding the atom to the body itself. Oh man, would that have been a huge mistake!

Aluminum products still do add weight. But it's more justified. Steel weight adds up really quick. I used to be against aluminum. But now I have changed my weighs.
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Aluminum products still do add weight. But it's more justified. Steel weight adds up really quick. I used to be against aluminum. But now I have changed my weighs.
I see what you did there.

Are you taking the Mail crawler to Disney? We are headed out there on the 17th or 18th.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We will be moving our logo to the lower passenger corners so that it is out of the viewing area. We hope this will help.

Quote:
I got my Savvy tail lights yesterday. They look great, but I think I'm missing a lens or something for the side markers.

These are what my new aluminum corners look like. Along with the piece that was cut out.

My new windshield is mounted in the frame. Their logo is engraved in the top "driver"side, which might bother some of you taller drivers out there. Luckily for me, it is on MY passenger side.
Optic-Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam
I see what you did there. Are you taking the Mail crawler to Disney? We are headed out there on the 17th or 18th.
Yes. I'm headed to Tulsa on either the 14th or 15th, then head to Disney with my buddy Dan and his TJ buggy on Friday night or Saturday morning. I think we are still looking for a place to camp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic-Armor
We will be moving our logo to the lower passenger corners so that it is out of the viewing area. We hope this will help.
Arron, that would be a great help! And should go unnoticed if you have a cage installed. Thanks again for the refund of the sale discount. I haven't driven with it yet, but I still plan on writing my opinion of it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.