MAGNUM FORCE, a Mopar man's build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MAGNUM FORCE, a Mopar man's build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

MAGNUM FORCE, a frame-off V8 YJ-CJ build-up

I've been a Mopar guy since I was old enough to drive, and I've built a few Dusters in my day, from mild smallblocks to blown big inch Hemi's. After selling my last Duster a few years ago, I got the itch to build something again, but I wanted to venture out and build some different this time. I've always wanted an off-road capable vehicle, but never owned one. I've always wanted a convertible, but never owned one. The Jeep Wrangler covered both wants, so I started looking for an inexpensive Wrangler that I could tear it down and rebuild it to suit my taste. One year ago, I found this 1989 with a 2.5L and 5 speed on ebay just 150 miles away from me, and the guy even offered to deliver it for me. So, I bought it, and here she is. Not very impressive, but when its done, you won't recognize it as the same Jeep.
The name of my Jeep, Magnum Force, was inspired by the engine, which has magnum heads. I like Clint Eastwood movies, so that may have played some role in choosing the name as well.
I began this build exactly one year ago, so let me get you caught up with pictures and words, starting at the beginning.

Unread 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The basic game plan for this street/trail rig is to tear it down to the bare frame, and go from there. The drivetrain changes will go like this:

Engine: The 2.5L will be replaced by a Dodge 318 engine that will be bored and stroked to 390 cubic inches. I'm not stroking it to gain more peak horsepower, but to build more useable torque below 4,000 rpm.

Transmission: The 5 speed will be replaced with a rebuilt, full manual 727 Torqueflite.

Transfer case: I'll keep the recently rebuilt NP231, but beef it up with a wide chain kit, 6 pinion planetary, and JB Conversions SS SYE.

Axles: The stock axles will be replaced with Dana 44 Wagoneer axles. The axles will be completely rebuilt with aftermarket axles, gears, and lockers.

Suspension & Steering: SOA with RE 1.5" springs and Bilstein shocks. High steer knuckles with 1 ton TRE's

Wheels/Tires: Nitto 37x12.50 Trail Grapplers on 17x9 XD Addict Machined wheels
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I put about 5 miles on her, and backed her into the garage to begin the tear down. This Jeep spent all of its life in Long Island, NY, and it has the rust and rot to prove it, especially on the back end of the frame.
Most of the bolts have been a fight for me. Despite this, I'm making progress.
The Jeep was originally black, but somewhere in its life someone did a poor job repainting orange.

Copperhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thats a nice looking project, keep up the good work

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
thats a nice looking project, keep up the good work
Thanks!

After removing the black carpeting, look what I found.

Unread 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Meanwhile, I went searching for axles. I found an ad on craigslist for a 1986 Grand Wagoneer that was getting parted out. I called to see if they still had the axles, and they did. Axles were in great shape. I got both axles for $250, which I thought was a good deal.
Here is a pic of the old girl. After we pulled the axles, she was headed straight to the scrap heap. Kinda sad.

On the same day, I drove to another location to look at a 727 Torqueflite 4X4 trans that I found on craigslist. The seller wouldn't budge at all on the $250 price. They are very hard to find in Florida, so I had to fork over the $250.

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nine of the 11 body bolts broke loose with a little help from PB Blaster. The other two wouldn't budge, and eventually snapped off.
After two weeks of work during the evenings, the tub is finally off, along with the rear axle.
Now, I can really survey the rot damage.

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i desperately want to rename your thread Magnum PI

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Torn down to the bare frame. Found lots of rot areas in the rear section of the frame. The front two-thirds is solid, though.
My plan is to cut off the entire rear section, from just behind the leaf spring frame mounts back.
Made some money selling off the engine, trans,axles, gas tank, and other bits that I wasn't going to reuse.

Unread 09-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With more holes than I care to patch, and too much heavy rust in general, I made the decision to cut off the back part of the frame, and rebuild a new section out of 4" x 2-1/2" x 1/8" wall rectangular steel.

The rest of the frame was sent to a sandblasting shop to get completely blasted clean, and completely blast clean they did! There wasn't a speck of rust or paint or anything. Just clean metal. They even blasted as far into the frame rails as they could see. When I brought it home, I sprayed it down with Ospho, which is a phoshoric acid solution that etches the metal and provides corrosion protection. Made the frame look ugly, but the corrosion protection was what i was looking for, because I knew I wouldn't be painting it for a long time.

Unread 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have you considered doing a wheelbase stretch? Would be easy to do using some XJ cherokee leaf springs in the rear, especially since you are rebuilding the back half of the frame.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, I began taking lots of measurements, and since I am a Mechanical Designer, I took those measurements and made a drawing of the profile of the replacement frame rail.

Here is one of the frame rails pieced together, prior to welding.

I used the original frame as a welding fixture of sorts, to assure that my pieces follow the general contour of the original.

Unread 09-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Have you considered doing a wheelbase stretch? Would be easy to do using some XJ cherokee leaf springs in the rear, especially since you are rebuilding the back half of the frame.
Stretching the wheelbase wasn't part of the plan. I thought about it, but for what I was going to do with the Jeep, I didn't feel it was necessary. But, you're right, that would have been a great time to stretch it.
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Frame build.

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I cleaned up the tubes on the front Dana 44.

The Parts Mike high steer knuckles and steering arms came in.

I sent the hubs to a machinist to install longer and beefier 9/16" wheel studs.

Swapped out the knuckles.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.