Lug's TJ Build: Her name is Rage! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Lug's TJ Build: Her name is Rage!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Lug's TJ Build: Her name is Rage!

Well I figure it is about time I start one of these. It will be a slow go. I don't have a lot of extra money to put into my jeep at the moment, but I want to chronicle the build anyway.

Thanks for viewing. Your input is always welcome.

Here is how this starts. I bought my TJ back in Nov. '10. 2000 model 5spd I6 with 88k miles on it. Had to finance half the price and I might have paid to much, but I'm impatient and was ready for another TJ after being without for a few years.

After getting it home the first step was to get ride of the horrible chrome. I'm not a chrome fan on a jeep. To each his own, but it's not for me. I put them on craigslist and found some one to trade me money and their stock bumpers for these. They also bought the step bars from me. Since it was my DD, and I have small kids, I had to replace them. I would prefer rock sliders at this point, but we will get to that later. So I order some rugged ridge black step bars along with black grill inserts and headlight bezels. I also bought some rubber bumper ends to rid me of the faded milk jugs.

The top was shot when I got it too. I went with the Rampage Bowless soft top in black(seems to be a theme here). I think it looks great, and it keeps the rain out 95% of the time.

Lug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Next up was wheels and tires. I had to get tires and thought some soft 8s would be good while I was at it. My dumb *** forgot to buy the center caps, but I order them shortly after I got them on.

I went with the Falken Rocky Mountains from Discount Tire. Same as the Wild Peaks only the are DT version. I got 31X10.5 and with the soft 8 backspacing they fit great on stock suspension. Now I had a problem with water and mud spraying me in the face since my tires stuck out further then the factory flares. I got me some Rugged Ridge flare and some cheap rocker guards to go with it (mostly for looks).

Unread 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Now to bring it up to date. This is how it sits now. Right next to my new to me DD 2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4. With a new daily driver I am ready to start some real work and make this a trail Jeep.
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

The current plan is to start in the next few months with a 4.5 Zone combo lift and trade out the 31 A/T for some 33 M/T. Not sure how soon I will get to do it, but it sure will be fun to learn. I may take it out for some wheeling before I even get to that. Try it out and see what order I think changes should be made.
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

So due to my lack of funds and extreme desire to sling some mud and climb some hills, I think I going to get a Budget lift. Some spacers and shocks that will give me a little more clearance. Not sure which ones yet. I like what I have heard about Zone, but due to lack of knowledge I don't know what else to go with.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
mj24lyons
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are looking for a cheap way to lift your I would suggest to go with Rough Country. For the money you can't really go wrong.
mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24lyons View Post
If you are looking for a cheap way to lift your I would suggest to go with Rough Country. For the money you can't really go wrong.
Looking at the Rough Country 2.5" springs and shocks. Do those shocks suck as bad as people say?
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
mj24lyons
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Looking at the Rough Country 2.5" springs and shocks. Do those shocks suck as bad as people say?
You do get what you pay for but they should work great for what you need right now. I have been in a couple Jeeps with their lift and I was impressed with the ride quality that you get for the money. It is not as good as some of the other entery level suspensions out there like OME or Rubicon Express but they are also a few hundreded dollars more. I am going to put the Rough Country 2.5" lift with a Daystar 1.25" BL and 1" motor mount lift on my Jeep when I get some extra $$$.
mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24lyons View Post
You do get what you pay for but they should work great for what you need right now. I have been in a couple Jeeps with their lift and I was impressed with the ride quality that you get for the money. It is not as good as some of the other entery level suspensions out there like OME or Rubicon Express but they are also a few hundreded dollars more. I am going to put the Rough Country 2.5" lift with a Daystar 1.25" BL and 1" motor mount lift on my Jeep when I get some extra $$$.
I did read the the shocks have gotten better as long as you get the 2.2's. I'm now leaning towards that. I guess with the 13 year old springs I have now, it's not a bad idea to replace them instead of just putting in a poly puck. I'll keep this up to date when I get it and and some pics of the install. Should be in the next couple weeks.
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

I'm ordering the Rough Country 2.5" lift today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get it installed and out on the trail.
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

This came in the mail on monday.

I plan to install this weekend. I can't wait. I ordered a steering stabilizer to go with it yesterday so hopefully it will be here before the weekend install as well.
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

I found out Wednesday that my brake lights didn't work anymore. Luckily it was my father that noticed and not a cop or another car that didn't stop soon enough. Easy fix. $13.10 for a new brake light switch and a very uncomfortable bending of the body to get under the dash to replace it and it's fixed.

Stabilizer came in the mail yesterday. It will get put on tonight and lift will get started in morning. I can't wait to get this done and get to wheeling... then come up with what is next.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Well I started friday night trying to put the steering stabilizer on. Everything was going well until I tried to get the bolt out of the tie rod. What a pita. I had to consult the jeepforum to figure out I needed a pitman arm puller... and o'reillys was close... and I was a few beers in.

So I got up bright and early saturday, before my lift help arrived and went got me a pitman arm puller. $15 and 2 minutes later it popped free, but since I had beaten it with a hammer for an hour the night before I had to get out the grinder so the bolt would fit back through. Got it done and started on the lift.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

The lift itself wasn't to bad to put on. I'm sure most of you reading have done some kind of lift before. Nothing special or different here. I had to go borrow a spring compressor from a friend of a friend, but other than that I had all the tools in my garage to do it. The front was much more difficult than the back. We spend about 2 hours on the front and less than an hour on the back with a subway break in the middle. Here are a few pics.

Difference from factory to new progressive spring.

Got driver side done.

Front done.

Again the back was much easier.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Now a before and after look.

Took it out for a spin and had a not so nice vibration from the rear drive shaft on acceleration. Yesterday I went and got some washers and longer bolts and lowered the transfer case skid plate and the vibration is gone.

After all this my friend tells me that if I'm going to wheel it I need to get dust boots for the shocks and I should really look into sway bar discos. I guess those are next on the list. All in all I'm very pleased so far with this lift. I look at it and think, when those tires wear out I need a 1" BL and 33X11.5 tires, but that will be awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.