LS1 DD softcore sleeper juggy - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > LS1 DD softcore sleeper juggy

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #76
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

@oalali

really ... risking to have 5 tires been shipped back?

you need to tell me about your findings!

(in the mean time I have asked a good fellow jeeper here to check out Oman and 33" tire availability ... a quick drive over the border should be possible )

Was looking more closely at the Staun II / Coyotes ... seems the Staun I version already has a proven track record in desert races ... it is just the position of the additional valve stem for the inner air lock tube which makes me nervous. (I have a big brake kit and not much clearance between caliper and wheel ... need to find installation instructions )

chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #77
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
@oalali

really ... risking to have 5 tires been shipped back?
I like to be the mythbuster!

Quote:
you need to tell me about your findings!
Sure thing !

Quote:

(in the mean time I have asked a good fellow jeeper here to check out Oman and 33" tire availability ... a quick drive over the border should be possible )
Depends on where he lives in Oman, it could be a long ride !

Beremi City might not have the same tire collection as Oman's Capital.

Quote:
Was looking more closely at the Staun II / Coyotes ... seems the Staun I version already has a proven track record in desert races ... it is just the position of the additional valve stem for the inner air lock tube which makes me nervous. (I have a big brake kit and not much clearance between caliper and wheel ... need to find installation instructions )
I have a mixed feeling about the staun.

1- they are almost as expensive as some real beadlocks.
2- Good luck finding a tire shop that can install it properly.

But they are relatively inexpensive to ship half way around the world. Personally, if I'm to ever use it, I would go with 17" stock jk tires. Why? Because there are tons of then on dubizzle to buy in case I screwed up during the installation !

+ 17" will not give you any issues with the brakes.
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #78
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post

I have a mixed feeling about the staun.

1- they are almost as expensive as some real beadlocks.
2- Good luck finding a tire shop that can install it properly.

But they are relatively inexpensive to ship half way around the world. Personally, if I'm to ever use it, I would go with 17" stock jk tires. Why? Because there are tons of then on dubizzle to buy in case I screwed up during the installation !

+ 17" will not give you any issues with the brakes.
The stauns got improved by coyote enterprises ... called Staun II now.
Stronger inner tube case webbing ... higher pressure (40-50psi) for the inner tube. Issues with spinning tires and ripping the inner valve stem off should be a thing of the past now.
They will be about 3" thick inside the tire and will act as a final run flat and will lock both sides of the bead. Balancing with stick on weights on the wheel should be finally useful ... considering the tire does not spin on the wheel anymore when deflated.

Yes 17" JK bolt pattern wheels are the most logical upgrade ... but aftermarket wheels are lighter, have more backspacing and width options (need wheeladapters, remember?) to have the outer bead/tire side sit close to flush under my 7" flares aaaaaand
have better mounting options for the second valve stem ... and are relatively cheap as well. Stock Sahara wheels are beefy, heavy and how wide?
Only thing remains : how much sidewall do inflated 33x12.5x17s have? are 3" inner beadlocks eventually too thick on 17" wheels? 16" wheels? tire size avail?

All four stauns will have a shipping weight of approx 30lbs ... equiv one wheel .
And will cost together approx like 2 single side bead lock wheels.

And then there are the Birddogs in all the sizes needed. No beadlocks but much less prone to pop outs than standard aftermarket wheels and cost approx as much as just stauns ... plus shipping.

DUH

Next Saturday I will do a trip to Sharjah eventually to check what tire sizes in 33" are common/available ... 16" wheels are quite common here on jap trucks like Patrols and FJ cruisers. So there should be some 305/70/16 around ... or 305/65/17?
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #79
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will have better luck finding the 305/70/16.

But most of them are E rated since they are designed for large trucks.

Good luck with Stauns and aftermarket wheels. One mistake and you will be paying loads and waiting months for a replacement !

I like the new Staun design. tell us how it goes !
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #80
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

- finally ... managed to LOCALLY get 5 new Cooper STTs in 33x12.5x15. DOT code shows UT as manufacturing plant (which is Cooper in Arkansas) and week 51 of 2012.
Made me happy ... but at the same time suspicious ... USD 199 per tire including local delivery and the faint info that all Cooper Tires in the middle east supposed to come from chinese manufacturing facilities. so ... fake DOT code? fake tire??? (will see how they hold up)

- finally ... did some electrical clean up in the engine bay and in the cab:
all my aux LED lights are now controlled via rocker switches in a pod on top of my center concole ... relocated the transmission oil temp gauge into the pod as well:
dash_close_comp.jpg

- and finally as well: got my wife friendly gear shift indicator kit wired up, installed and working
shifter_close_comp.jpg

- and because all wiring in the engine bay is much more organized the LS1 can now show its new dress
covers_close_comp.jpg
covers_engine_comp.jpg

- and because I was having some screwed up control arm adjustments in the front (which participated in premature tire wear) I managed to finally get a correct adjustment done ... and to potentially reduce front end shimmy and increase TB to diff cover clearance my currie TJS (lying around for quite some time) installed !

- small ding in passenger door and passenger door handle repaired

- plastic fender/bumper treatment spray applied

Time for a new video showing sluggy in all her beauty doing tricks on the dunes! ... stay tuned
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #81
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice ..

How does your front end feels after the v8 swap ?
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #82
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
Nice ..

How does your front end feels after the v8 swap ?
Thx ... how the front end felt had nothing to do with the V8 swap ... it was a rather "stupid" assumption that when my currie control arms went in that they supposed to be set up correctly ... was not the case.

While discussing with Imped bump stop extensions and trackbars (1.5" bse and teraflex adj. TB) I needed to take some measurements to show why my set up works ... according to every body else the teraflex TB supposed to need a bazillion inches of bump stop extension to stay clear of the stock D30 diff cover.

It turned out as a side effect of taking measurements that my passenger side lower control arm was set about 2cm shorter than my driver side ... and my passenger upper quite a bit longer

So that is now corrected. (and the TJS went in ... did not want to set every thing up ... make a photo session without front springs and in all poses and then repeat all with the TJS )

My actual procomp xterrrains have 40k kms on the clock and are out of balance in the front (there is a shimmy at about 80-100 km/h) ... and the lugs show a alternating mountain valley wear pattern in the center section. I am pretty sure with C rated 33x12.5x15" and 24-27 psi I should not have been significantly under/overinflated... the tires under the lighter rear look perfectly fine with pressures in the same range.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #83
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got some tyres, I am getting no response over here. Did pick up an 04 TJ from AD. Bright yellow with steel sports wheels but alloy spare. Do you guys know this jeep ??
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #84
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a photo from Dubizzle but I picked it up from caryatid near dragon mart
image-3178288977.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #85
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nice! it looks clean ... did you check if it is a GCC spec one with a D44 rear?

Dubai has just like Abu Dhabi quite a big off road community ... I do not know this particular one.

oh ... and one more thing ... yesterday I managed to get my new Cooper STTs (33x12.5x15) mounted and balanced and a all new alignment and final track bar adjustment done.
I was shocked how "bad" my previous Xterrains were running ... the new tires and the adjustments gave me a "new" TJ ... smooooooth and no/low noise!
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #86
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is a GCC spec, the RTA report says only fault is hand brake adjustment. Not sure on diff.
Will get the Vin number a get a spec sheet on it. Says 1 owner and 161k on the clock, it is clean as a whistle, look up dubizzle jeeps Abu Dhabi it will pop up at 31000

How much where the tyres, they are what I was looking to get?
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #87
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
It is a GCC spec, the RTA report says only fault is hand brake adjustment. Not sure on diff.
Will get the Vin number a get a spec sheet on it. Says 1 owner and 161k on the clock, it is clean as a whistle, look up dubizzle jeeps Abu Dhabi it will pop up at 31000

How much where the tyres, they are what I was looking to get?
pm sent
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #88
tytec95

lot of work
tytec95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #89
tytec95

looks good
tytec95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #90
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytec95 View Post
looks good
thanx ... drives much better than it looks. looking back I would do it again!

Tags
4l60e , conversion , ls1 , novak , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.