Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Louie4's YJ

352K views 3K replies 156 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I would make a "build" thread. I have had my YJ for nearly 10 years and have been doing mods here and there so I won't have a lot of pics of the entire process.

I got my '93 YJ when I turned 16. I paid $1500 at the time which was a steal. I can't find any stock pictures but I have some of the earlier versions.

Some specs as of today:

-3.5" Black Diamond lift springs
-Stock TJ alloy wheels
-Worn out Aurora 31" x 10.5" M/T's (cheap)
-Detroit EZ locker in the rear
-Lock-Right in the front
-Yukon 4.10's front and rear (Yes I still have the D35 and I regeared it:thumbdown:)
-Some kind of hack 'n' tap SYE and a Tom Woods rear driveshaft from a wrecked '95 YJ
-Currie boomerang shackles front and rear
-Herculined Tub

Here's some pics from Tellico when I had 2" double military wrapped springs (complete crap), Liberty all-terrain 30" x 9.5" cheapo tires. I can't remember if I had my rear locker in or not.

I got my SYE from a buddy that worked at the old shop I used to work for.
I had to get the driveshaft shortened because the '95 YJ it came off of was a SOA. Took about 2" out of the center section.

I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem with the rear shock mounts on your Dana 35. I backed into a rock and after a year of on road driving it finally gave out. I replaced them this past April with some generic ones I got from a 4WD shop I rode past. I'll post the new ones up later.
Also, this was the first break. I got my neighbor to weld the piece back on one time and it broke again another year later.

This doesn't show the entire process but it shows some of the gear pattern pics of when I was re-gearing my front and rear axle. I rebuilt both axles replacing all the bearings. I set everything up myself. It was my first gear install and they haven't torn up yet so that's a good sign. I don't know if I would do it again just because of the hassle factor. I don't have all the tools a machine shop has but I have more than the average backyard mechanic. The most important tool I bought was an in-lb torque wrench. I got it from Amazon from a bike shop.

Some of the D30. I had to take the ring gear off to put the locker in. I wasn't thinking and forgot to put it in.

After I re-geared my rpm's went up and vibrations from my front driveshaft were becoming very noticeable on the road. I had originally got a ZJ front driveshaft planning on putting that on the front. I took it to the driveshaft shop and the guy there wouldn't warranty the ZJ one because going to a length of 43" with an O.D. of 1.75" he said it would fail at 3000 rpm's. I was surprised because my stock front driveshaft was that length and I have been running it for a long time. He said he would have to go to a 3" O.D. to warranty it. Well, I ended up spending $50 to have my stock one straightened and balanced. I still have a few vibes but not as bad. Here's some pics of the ZJ front driveshaft and the one I put in.

Attachments

See less See more
#282 ·
That should do the trick. :2thumbsup:

#289 ·
Bound and determined. If I do break or bend it...well I'm doing something right or I fell off a cliff.

I could see that tube being used for shotgun barrels. I wish my roll cage was made out of that stuff.

Ohhh :drool: wk knuckle. I'm definitely interested how this works for you! I was thinking of doing this isntead of the $500 dollar hi-steer kit when I go SOA.
Actually it's a Teraflex hi-steer knuckle. I got a sweet deal on all the stuff. I'm thinking about flipping the tie rod and reaming the top of the knuckle. However it's already reamed from the bottom for a 1 ton TRE. I may lay it out in CAD and see how it looks with a taper from the top. If I have enough so the rod end won't pull through I'll do it.

#303 ·
Those be some nice components. :)

My youngest son Jerry is in Pensacola, FL attending school. He has about another month there.
Thanks. I have a friend and co-worker whose daughter attends Pensacola Christian College. His other daughter teaches there and graduated from there. Where does your son go?

My two steering links cost me, $148.00 including shipping.

DOM = $50.00
TRE's = $35.00
inserts= $30.00
locking jam nuts = $33.00
Nice. Where did you get those from?

i never understood this. what do you think the chances of you breaking a TRE are? are you going to be running 1ton TREs? heims are less than $10 a piece and TREs are about $30.i could buy 12 heims for the price of 4 TREs :rofl:

i also carry spare heims so i dont have to try to "run out to the store" if i ever do break a heim on the trail.

just my :2c:
I have no problem with either in terms of strength and I know availability depends on how prepared you are and buying spares. At the moment I have the 1-ton TRE's on the used drag link and tie rod. If they are in good condition I may re-use them and ream my knuckles from the top to flip the tie rod. However, the Teraflex knuckle is tapered for the 1-ton TRE on the bottom. I'm unsure how that would work if I tried to taper it from the top. I may be better off drilling it through and putting the heims on. If the TRE's are bad and I have to replace them I might as well get heims for the cost difference and just drill the knuckles through and be done with it.

What do you think Vegas? What would you do in my situation?

Your :2c: is much appreciated BTW. :cheers2:

#304 ·
I ordered all my parts individually. and bought the DOM locally from a steel supplier. I can post up the individual links if you'd like. I found the tre's from one vendor for 35 bucks or so for all four shipped to my door. The brand was parts master plus. two of the actually had Moog stamped on them though. they are 1 ton tre's so I don't expect too much trouble from them!

#307 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Once I get it all out and start cleaning stuff up I'll see where I stand.

i run Ruffstuff heims myself. i know everyone will debate til the end of the world about which is better for a DD or trail rig ect. i just dont see the point of spending $30 a piece on TREs.

if the TREs you have on there now are good then go ahead and run them. after they wear out i'd run heims.

again this is just my persective. im sure others will chime in telling you that you will die if you run heims on the rd and that 1ton TREs are the only way to go :laugh::laugh:
I've heard a few debates on it but I think either is fine. I'll stay with the TRE's if they're in good shape. If not I'll look at the heims.

He followed in his Dads footsteps & went on active duty in the Navy in January, then went to Pensacola for Aviation Structual Mechanic "A" school. Basically, he'll be working on aircraft hydraulics and some other fancy stuff.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/navyjobs/navyjobs2/blamh.htm
That's awesome! I'm sure you're very proud. I'm following in my grandfather's footsteps myself. He went to UGA and got his Ag. Engineering degree as did I. Coincidentally my other grandfather went to GA Tech and was an electrical engineer. My dad started in the Ag. Engineering program at Georgia but dropped out due to the "taste of money" as he put it. He went back later in life and got his business degree but always regretted not going through with engineering.

#308 ·
I haven't been doing anything to the jeep lately. Been busy with work, seeing friends, and my nephews 6th birthday party was this weekend. However I do plan on getting the knuckle sand blasted and have the linkages painted this week. I also got a set of stock tail lights from a buddy (thanks Nacho) since mine are shot it works out good.

Some pics of the tail lights and the ones I busted on a tree a while back.

Attachments

#309 ·
Louie4 said:
I haven't been doing anything to the jeep lately. Been busy with work, seeing friends, and my nephews 6th birthday party was this weekend. However I do plan on getting the knuckle sand blasted and have the linkages painted this week. I also got a set of stock tail lights from a buddy (thanks Nacho) since mine are shot it works out good.

Some pics of the tail lights and the ones I busted on a tree a while back.
Ha! No problem!

#314 ·
I finally stopped being lazy. I primed my knuckle and I may paint it tonight. I also drilled all the holes for my spring plates. I still need to cap the ends with some gussets but it's coming along.

Attachments

#317 ·
Well today was a crummy day. I had to have my cat Phil put down this afternoon because his kidneys failed. He was a good friend. I'll miss ya buddy.

Attachments

#318 ·
Ahhh that Suxx0rz. :( Cats can be the best buddies even when yer all messed up. Maybe after you get all hitched and re-settled the two of you can pick out a fresh kitten. :)

Yeah I'm a cat guy myself. 3 of em at the moment. I'll be thinking of you guys.

#320 ·
Thanks Pete. I'm either but I lean a little more towards cats. My fiance has our 11 month old Boxer at the moment and she's sweet. I don't think I'll be getting another cat for a while.

Some folks think he's just a cat but he was my buddy and I'll miss him giving the jeep part inspection when I lay them on the couch next to him. :laugh:

#319 ·
I had to bury Phil at work because I think my apartment complex would frown on me doing that there. After I got done burying him I grabbed a bite to eat and started doing some work for the jeep. I didn't want to sit around at home and mope all night. Tonight I got the gussets welded onto the end of my u-bolt plates. I think I'm going to have them sandblasted them I'll paint them. I also painted my Teraflex knuckle. It's kind of bright but that's the paint I had laying around.

Attachments