Louie4's YJ - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #106
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was there back in the summer for Bama Buggy Bash. I recognize the trails and where he tipped over as I almost tipped at that next bend riding the opposite bank. I can't wait to go back for another visit this spring with my YJ a little more built.

Geat pics and build so far. I will mention that I had the same issue with my bump stops not stopping my tires from getting into the fenders so I stuffed each front tire til it was half inch from the fender and took m measurements between axle and bump stop. I had 2 1/4" between them so I took a scrap piece of the 2x4 tube I built my bumpers out of and cut a 3" section out of it. With it standing 4" tall I cut the curve of the axle out to take an 1" out of the height and welded them to the top of the axle. I figured the 3" would make up for the bump stop compressing under contact. It worked out great and I can stuff the 33's right up to the fender without damage. Hope this helps with an idea on yours.

Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #107
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
I was there back in the summer for Bama Buggy Bash. I recognize the trails and where he tipped over as I almost tipped at that next bend riding the opposite bank. I can't wait to go back for another visit this spring with my YJ a little more built.

Geat pics and build so far. I will mention that I had the same issue with my bump stops not stopping my tires from getting into the fenders so I stuffed each front tire til it was half inch from the fender and took m measurements between axle and bump stop. I had 2 1/4" between them so I took a scrap piece of the 2x4 tube I built my bumpers out of and cut a 3" section out of it. With it standing 4" tall I cut the curve of the axle out to take an 1" out of the height and welded them to the top of the axle. I figured the 3" would make up for the bump stop compressing under contact. It worked out great and I can stuff the 33's right up to the fender without damage. Hope this helps with an idea on yours.
Thanks man. We had a good time there and I think we'll be going to Morris Mountain for the next one. I've been to Morris Mountain before but my buddy with the CJ kept breaking and we had to cut the trip short. I like the idea for the bumpstops. I was thinking about a u-bolt flip where I make a platform on the top of the axle tube and use a plate with square u-bolts. I figure that would give me the platform I need for the bumpstops to hit.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #108
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a group south of you and close to me that are planning a ride at Gulches April (weekend after Easter). Maybe your group could make it and have us a nice huge convoy through the woods.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #109
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a group south of you and close to me that are planning a ride at Gulches April (weekend after Easter). Maybe your group could make it and have us a nice huge convoy through the woods.
Sounds like a plan to me. We rode Gulches in March this year. It was a lot of fun. Skip is an awesome guy and helped us out quite a bit. I believe my buddies should have their rigs ready. I know two of them are tearing into them. One is doing the 8.8 swap with a Super 88 kit and the CJ guy might have a Ford NP435 tranny in by then.

I'll run it by them and see what they got going on.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #110
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm picking up a 231 with SYE and terlow 4.1 for the jeep and then picking up a ford 44/9 in combo with Yukon 5.13 gears, chromo shafts, lockers f/r, drive flanges and trussed around the first. They are set up for 4 link at the moment, but I will set them up for leafs until I gather the rest of th parts to 4 link. I'll have them set up and ready to go by April.

I'll subscribe to this thread to keep in touch with you.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #111
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm picking up a 231 with SYE and terlow 4.1 for the jeep and then picking up a ford 44/9 in combo with Yukon 5.13 gears, chromo shafts, lockers f/r, drive flanges and trussed around the first. They are set up for 4 link at the moment, but I will set them up for leafs until I gather the rest of th parts to 4 link. I'll have them set up and ready to go by April.

I'll subscribe to this thread to keep in touch with you.
Awesome. Will you still be running 33's with the 9" and 5.13's?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #112
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Until I find some 37s for trade.
Unread 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #113
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good looking build!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #114
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
good looking build!
Thanks man!

I found a deal from another forum member on new 3.5" Black Diamond springs. Rusty's Off-Road was selling them for $35 a spring. I have been running them for over 6 years and they have been abused heavily. I couldn't pass this deal up because they springs were cheap and they were all the rear springs with 5 leafs. The shipping was $83 but the total for all the springs was $224. I ordered them yesterday and guess what arrived today.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #115
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks man!

I found a deal from another forum member on new 3.5" Black Diamond springs. Rusty's Off-Road was selling them for $35 a spring. I have been running them for over 6 years and they have been abused heavily. I couldn't pass this deal up because they springs were cheap and they were all the rear springs with 5 leafs. The shipping was $83 but the total for all the springs was $224. I ordered them yesterday and guess what arrived today.

Awesome deal !
Thats the same springs I have, I love em.
I just checked Rustys, They arnt on there anymore
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #116
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #117
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Great thread
Thanks. I'm hoping to add more to it once I get my exhaust taken care of. Coincidentally that will be when my taxes come in.
The springs were a steal and I checked later in the day after I bought them and they were no longer available. I like the heavy duty springs in the front. I think it has helped with the addition of the bumper and winch.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #118
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are those Black diamond "army wrapped"? I have some friends looking to upgrade to a good army wrapped spring and all they know about are rough country.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #119
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Are those Black diamond "army wrapped"? I have some friends looking to upgrade to a good army wrapped spring and all they know about are rough country.
They are full military wrapped on one end and the other is 1/4" wrapped. They definitely aren't the best of the best but my previous ones held up pretty good and were flexy.

If I were to recommend a good set of springs it would be BDS (no relation to Black Diamond Suspension). They have a no questions asked lifetime warranty and ride good after they are broken in.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #120
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I don't know all of the terminology on the yj stuff yet.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.