Louie4's YJ - Page 78 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #1156
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I personally run a stock alt and a diehard platinum battery. No troubles at all.
It's not that your winch won't work without a monster alternator and twelve batteries, but the more current you throw at the winch, the more power you'll get and, more importantly, the cooler the winch motor will run. It will run cooler because it's not starving for power. A cool running winch is more efficient, is easier on the solenoids, and can run longer between breaks. I don't use mine every day, but when I use it, I tend to use it hard. I haven't put a second battery in yet, but I've seen the difference between using a 750 CCA battery and 1000 CCA. If 250 amps makes that much difference, I'd love to see what another 1000 will do. I upgraded my alternator primarily to help with the electric fan and to help the batteries recover faster.
While not necessary to function, dual batteries and big alternators definitely have their place.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #1157
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My setup thus far has been fine but with the fan and winch I wasn't sure how it would hold up. I think just the upgraded alternator may be fine for what I do. I just need to upgrade the wiring on it. I'm itching to have my jeep here in Raleigh but I don't want to drive it back and forth on a 5.5 hour one way trip too many times.

I'm also concerned about the engine overheating when I start pulling a trailer around the mountains with the M8274 taking up a lot of space on the front. We'll see.

I actually went to a wrenching day with the local 4x4 club here in Raleigh and had a good time. It was more a meet and greet for me because there were plenty to help out. Great time though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #1158
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a long time ago i was thinking of moving from california. when i did my research i found that north Carolina was rated tops at that time. the climate ,jobs, housing etc seemed good. and the wheeling might be good as well. would be nice to get 4 seasons
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #1159
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
a long time ago i was thinking of moving from california. when i did my research i found that north Carolina was rated tops at that time. the climate ,jobs, housing etc seemed good. and the wheeling might be good as well. would be nice to get 4 seasons
Yea here we get all 4 seasons in one week....
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #1160
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The big thing is voltage, the lower the voltage gets, the higher the amperage goes which creates more heat. If you have an alternator that is strong enough to maintain a higher voltage than your battery sits at rest, adding a second battery actually becomes an added load on the alternator. If the alternator can't maintain a higher voltage than a second battery will become a supply and help the situation. In most cases a good single battery and alternator are the most efficient setup.
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #1161
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
The big thing is voltage, the lower the voltage gets, the higher the amperage goes which creates more heat. If you have an alternator that is strong enough to maintain a higher voltage than your battery sits at rest, adding a second battery actually becomes an added load on the alternator. If the alternator can't maintain a higher voltage than a second battery will become a supply and help the situation. In most cases a good single battery and alternator are the most efficient setup.
Again, I agree that step one is to add a better alternator. Actually, I agree with most of your statement (including that a single battery and alternator are typically more "efficient"). Voltage drop does equal amp spike, which does in fact equal heat which is a waste of energy. The only problem I see is that you will never find an automotive alternator (that would be remotely practical) that will keep up with the use of a winch that can draw 500 amps (give or take).

If you're using a winch, you're using your battery in addition to every amp that your alternator can provide. The only way to delay the inevitable voltage drop (assuming that you already have a good battery and alt) is to add more capacity (i.e. another battery).

I agree that a single 1000 cca battery is much more efficient than two 500 cca batteries wired in parallel. I also agree that a high amp alternator will go a long way to slow down voltage drop. What I'm saying is that once you're using a big battery and big alternator, the only good option left for improvement is adding an additional big battery. It won't be as efficient in everyday use, but when you're winching hard, it will allow the winch to run cooler longer.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 05-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #1162
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm officially a homeowner!

I also found out I need to have my jeep tested for emissions. I wonder if it will pass.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #1163
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

and you thought the jeep would never be done lol. Congrats!!
Unread 05-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #1164
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
and you thought the jeep would never be done lol. Congrats!!
Thanks!

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #1165
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome man! Hopefully you didnt buy a turd of a house like I did, takes more work than the jeep sometimes haha
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #1166
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'm officially a homeowner!

I also found out I need to have my jeep tested for emissions. I wonder if it will pass.
Congratulations!
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #1167
kawi358
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats Lou! It's Lucas from the CNC wrenching day. Don't sweat the inspections in NC. They don't sniff test vehicles. And if the vehicle is older than 96 they only do a safety inspection. I have no cat and my junk passed. Just find the right place
kawi358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #1168
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Awesome man! Hopefully you didnt buy a turd of a house like I did, takes more work than the jeep sometimes haha
I hope not. I felt pretty confident after the inspection came back. The guy who did it was very thorough and put together a great report with pictures of things that need to be addressed. Overall I think it's a good one but only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi358 View Post
Congrats Lou! It's Lucas from the CNC wrenching day. Don't sweat the inspections in NC. They don't sniff test vehicles. And if the vehicle is older than 96 they only do a safety inspection. I have no cat and my junk passed. Just find the right place
Hey Lucas! I was getting a little worried about the emissions but I think I'm in good shape now.

Hope all is well.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #1169
YJacob

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, spend two days at work reading through this whole thing, and I must say I am very impressed! It has been very entertaining to say the least. One question, I notice you are running welding cable for your winch. I bought my setup with what looks like off the shelf battery cables. Should I go to a weld shop and get some made? Warn Powerplant 9.5. Thanks again for a good read, and I will be crawling this thread!
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #1170
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJacob View Post
Wow, spend two days at work reading through this whole thing, and I must say I am very impressed! It has been very entertaining to say the least. One question, I notice you are running welding cable for your winch. I bought my setup with what looks like off the shelf battery cables. Should I go to a weld shop and get some made? Warn Powerplant 9.5. Thanks again for a good read, and I will be crawling this thread!
It depends on the gauge of the wire you've got; however, welding cable in 2 ga or thicker will be better unless your battery cables are 0 ga or thicker (welding cables use more strands of thinner wire. Electrons flow on the outside surface of the strands. More thin strands flow more electricity than less thick strands). Also, the shielding on welding cables is less susceptible to damage than battery cables.

If you live in an area with farm stores, you can usually buy welding cable by the foot and with some copper end lugs, solder, and a butane torch, you can make your own.

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.