Louie4's YJ - Page 76 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #1126
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finally put another hanger on my exhaust and a new band clamp. Way better than I had it.

image-3805261457.jpg

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #1127
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Finally put another hanger on my exhaust and a new band clamp. Way better than I had it.
Looks good, I think if I do anything else to my exhaust, I would like to try those clamps.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #1128
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Looks good, I think if I do anything else to my exhaust, I would like to try those clamps.
They seem pretty good so far. I got them at O'Reilly's for $10.99. If I had gotten a coupler and two u-bolt clamps it would have been about the same and this one looks better. My exhaust is finally solid.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #1129
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow that winch is huge! nice job on the install. i see u used the remote like i did. one of the best bangs for the buck ive done.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #1130
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
wow that winch is huge! nice job on the install. i see u used the remote like i did. one of the best bangs for the buck ive done.
Thanks and yes it's massive. I really like that remote thus far. It has quite the range. I'm still on the lookout for a hand held controller for a backup. I got the plug for the old M8274 plugs just need a controller. I know Pierce Arrow sells a heavy duty waterproof one for $40.
controller.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #1131
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

Thanks and yes it's massive. I really like that remote thus far. It has quite the range. I'm still on the lookout for a hand held controller for a backup. I got the plug for the old M8274 plugs just need a controller. I know Pierce Arrow sells a heavy duty waterproof one for $40.
For $60, you can get a controller along with a soleniod pack... (it's 2 dpdt solenoids instead of singles)
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1132
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lou, I replaced all my 8274 solenoids with the superwinch control pack which utilizes a better system than solenoids. I wired my remote to it and no one would know about the superwinch stuff unless they took it all apart. The reason I did it was because I have blown 2 or 3 solenoids due to the control system still sending power to the winch motor just after removing your finger from the controller and reversing the direction in a quick winching situation. Just a thought... I should have a link to a yota forum where I found my info at somewhere in my thread...
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #1133
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
For $60, you can get a controller along with a soleniod pack... (it's 2 dpdt solenoids instead of singles)
I'm going to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Lou, I replaced all my 8274 solenoids with the superwinch control pack which utilizes a better system than solenoids. I wired my remote to it and no one would know about the superwinch stuff unless they took it all apart. The reason I did it was because I have blown 2 or 3 solenoids due to the control system still sending power to the winch motor just after removing your finger from the controller and reversing the direction in a quick winching situation. Just a thought... I should have a link to a yota forum where I found my info at somewhere in my thread...
Sweet. I will see if I can dig it up. I'm pretty set on getting the aluminum cover from Crawlorado.

Edit: I see you swapped your solenoid cover. I found out that new one was a little too pricey for me but that was from Warn.

I also got an email from Brown Dog that my motor mounts has been shipped.
installed-cover.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #1134
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

those motor mounts are easy to fab yourself but not as esays as calling browndog
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #1135
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
those motor mounts are easy to fab yourself but not as esays as calling browndog
I'm in transition now with location so it was the best option.

Since the jeep is in Knoxville for the next couple months and I'm in North Carolina I have just been thinking about what to do. What I really want to do is wheel it to be honest but tinkering is what keeps me sane.

So I went to a CNC4x4 Club meeting yesterday in Raleigh. There were nice folks there and the club was very organized and family oriented. They are part of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and also participate in community events and cleaning up the National Forest (Uwharrie). I need to attend an event and find a sponsor then I can apply to join. So the sooner my jeep gets here the quicker I can join and take part. I believe the membership is 50+ with ages in the mid 20's -50's.

Here is a list of things I want to get for the jeep (and new garage if I can get the house squared away).

1. Aluminum solenoid cover for the M8274 from Crawlorado. The price isn't much different from the plastic.

2. Synthetic rope. After installing the new winch it sunk the front end down maybe up to an inch. It was noticeable at least. I believe it still has the OEM 150' length 5/16" cable on it. I am thinking about doing 5/16" x 125' or maybe 3/8" x 100'. Haven't decided yet but it will reduce weight either way.

3. Hobart welder. Probably just get the standard MIG wire feed from Northern. The one I have gets me by but I know the Hobart is solid. I have been thinking I could upgrade the ground wire on mine and put some fresh .035" flux core wire on it. What I have on it now is old and looks to be a little rusty which is probably not helping the welding.

4. 35" Goodyear MT/R's and new wheels. This is a biggie and will take the most time to save for. My 33" KM2's still have maybe 3/8" tread but I want a bigger tire and I have the room. If I don't have the room I can make it.

5. Improve my shock situation. I'm running Autozone specials all around and the front is still using stock mounts on the frame. I need to change that using Ford shock mounts or hoops and buy better shocks. I want to go SOA one day so changing the front mounts will be a benefit.

Other than that I'm just bumming around the temp. apartment and getting fat. Luckily I start work tomorrow.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #1136
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I really love this thread. Im back at post 750 but hope to catch up soon :P
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #1137
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
I'm in transition now with location so it was the best option. Since the jeep is in Knoxville for the next couple months and I'm in North Carolina I have just been thinking about what to do. What I really want to do is wheel it to be honest but tinkering is what keeps me sane. So I went to a CNC4x4 Club meeting yesterday in Raleigh. There were nice folks there and the club was very organized and family oriented. They are part of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and also participate in community events and cleaning up the National Forest (Uwharrie). I need to attend an event and find a sponsor then I can apply to join. So the sooner my jeep gets here the quicker I can join and take part. I believe the membership is 50+ with ages in the mid 20's -50's. Here is a list of things I want to get for the jeep (and new garage if I can get the house squared away). 1. Aluminum solenoid cover for the M8274 from Crawlorado. The price isn't much different from the plastic. 2. Synthetic rope. After installing the new winch it sunk the front end down maybe up to an inch. It was noticeable at least. I believe it still has the OEM 150' length 5/16" cable on it. I am thinking about doing 5/16" x 125' or maybe 3/8" x 100'. Haven't decided yet but it will reduce weight either way. 3. Hobart welder. Probably just get the standard MIG wire feed from Northern. The one I have gets me by but I know the Hobart is solid. I have been thinking I could upgrade the ground wire on mine and put some fresh .035" flux core wire on it. What I have on it now is old and looks to be a little rusty which is probably not helping the welding. 4. 35" Goodyear MT/R's and new wheels. This is a biggie and will take the most time to save for. My 33" KM2's still have maybe 3/8" tread but I want a bigger tire and I have the room. If I don't have the room I can make it. 5. Improve my shock situation. I'm running Autozone specials all around and the front is still using stock mounts on the frame. I need to change that using Ford shock mounts or hoops and buy better shocks. I want to go SOA one day so changing the front mounts will be a benefit. Other than that I'm just bumming around the temp. apartment and getting fat. Luckily I start work tomorrow.
Sounds like a plan to me. I'd like to see how the synthetic is for you, cause id like to eventually do mine as well. As you know, the Hobart 140 has provided good solid work for me. I decided to get my own so I wouldn't have to borrow dads so much. He was getting pretty upset with me. I can always bring it with me when I come visit until you get your own of course.

I'm excited to see the Goodyear MTR's. Why are you getting new wheels? I'm assuming yours are bent beyond repair and won't hold air, but I only remember one being that way. Steels are cheap though I guess.

I too would eventually like to do some sort if hoop up front. Once you get the welder you'll be good to go.

Right now I'm saving to get a new tom woods rear driveshaft, send back my front to have them lengthen 1", and get the parts mike output shaft brake.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #1138
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Sounds like a plan to me. I'd like to see how the synthetic is for you, cause id like to eventually do mine as well. As you know, the Hobart 140 has provided good solid work for me. I decided to get my own so I wouldn't have to borrow dads so much. He was getting pretty upset with me. I can always bring it with me when I come visit until you get your own of course.

I'm excited to see the Goodyear MTR's. Why are you getting new wheels? I'm assuming yours are bent beyond repair and won't hold air, but I only remember one being that way. Steels are cheap though I guess.

I too would eventually like to do some sort if hoop up front. Once you get the welder you'll be good to go.

Right now I'm saving to get a new tom woods rear driveshaft, send back my front to have them lengthen 1", and get the parts mike output shaft brake.
The Hobart 140 is what I want as well. I've seen your welds and others, very solid. My wheels are pretty bent up and I don't think any shop will mount and dismount tires due to slicing fingers and tetanus. Plus they may have a tough time sealing.

I think the rope will be a good mod. I'll need a hawse fairlead though but not a big deal.

Let me know when you want to visit. Hopefully we'll be in a house when you do.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #1139
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
I really love this thread. Im back at post 750 but hope to catch up soon :P
Thanks! I hope it's been entertaining and educational, though they rarely go in hand.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #1140
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i havnt thought about changing the front hoops. is it necessary ? i dont seem to have problems with mine. when i went to 35' tires i started beaking front axle joints every other trip.sometimes 2 on one trip. i did upgrade to the 1995 tj axles so i hope it helps. ive only done onw trip with them and so far so good. next trip ill have 4:88 gears and with the 4-1 tc ill probably start breaking them again. the hobart 140 is a 220volt welder right? i had a 110volt and didnt like the penetration.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.